Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 470
QuoteOriginally posted by stephen_G Quote
Hi Steve, many thanks for that. I know that they have been around for a while and seem to get good reviews. I've ordered a KP from them, and am waiting for it to arrive.
QuoteOriginally posted by stephen_G Quote
Hi Steve, many thanks for that. I know that they have been around for a while and seem to get good reviews. I've ordered a KP from them, and am waiting for it to arrive.
That is a great choice. I bought a new KP when my K10d died on me and it's just brilliant.
One tip, if you change the clarity setting from the default value, it will do processing and writing to the card before allowing the next shot. Haven't found any other settings that cause this (yet).


Last edited by stevejo; 11-25-2021 at 09:33 AM.
11-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #92
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
That is a great choice. I bought a new KP when my K10d died on me and it's just brilliant.
One tip, if you change the clarity setting from the default value, it will do processing and writing to the card before allowing the next shot. Haven't found any other settings that cause this (yet).
Thanks for the tip Steve!
11-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #93
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,483
QuoteOriginally posted by stephen_G Quote
Thanks for going through the "equivalence" issue. To a newcomer llike myself still getting to grips with this, "equivalence" statements llike those in the Pentax lens listing page, seems to suggest that my SMC 80-200mm zoom for example, (FF), when used with APS-C, becomes a 121-307mm zoom, (giving an increased zoom distance). I understand now that this is not the case. The focal length remains the same, it is just the filed of view that changes due to the size of the image sensor compared to the size of the old 35mm film. Is that correct?
You've got it. But giving all the technical data in explaining this matter, like how many degrees of angle difference, since it is really the FOV that matters etc. is not too useful in envisioning the difference you will experience when going from one format to the other. You are right that the equivalency seemed to suggest that your SMC 80-200mm "becomes" a 121-307mm zoom, that now you understand this is not the case- well, actually you were very close to reality when it comes to usage. Just insert one simple word then clarity and accuracy will be achieved- that word is "as". It becomes "as" a 121-307mm zoom would be on a FF body, in terms of what you will see in the VF and the outcome in your frame. For a person such as yourself, accustomed to using 35mm film- that is FF equipment, this is the simple and effective way to generate an accurate expectation when switching back and forth. Knowing it is actually the FOV that changes is a good thing. But for knowing what to expect when you snap a particular lens on a camera of one format or the other format, that simple equivalency is the quickest and best way to have an accurate expectation. "What will this lens do for me on this particular camera" is the concern. With that word "as" included, your assessment and statement about your SMC 80-200mm lens is true and is the best way of quickly gaining that understanding.

The equivalency really means, it will take a lens of xxx FL on a FF body to give you the image size and framing a lens of xx FL will give you on APS-C for the same shot from the same position. The caveat is, if you have that FF xxx FL lens and use it on the K-1 II, being willing and able to bear the extra weight and cost, it will indeed give you the same image as the similar quality xx FL lens on your KP, but now with the advantages brought by the K-1 II, including 36mp imaging vs. 24mp imaging. That said, the next step is to think of what that bigger, heavier xxx FL lens will give you when put on your KP!? Each format has its own advantages.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-25-2021 at 09:00 PM.
11-26-2021, 03:46 AM   #94
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You've got it. But giving all the technical data in explaining this matter, like how many degrees of angle difference, since it is really the FOV that matters etc. is not too useful in envisioning the difference you will experience when going from one format to the other. You are right that the equivalency seemed to suggest that your SMC 80-200mm "becomes" a 121-307mm zoom, that now you understand this is not the case- well, actually you were very close to reality when it comes to usage. Just insert one simple word then clarity and accuracy will be achieved- that word is "as". It becomes "as" a 121-307mm zoom would be on a FF body, in terms of what you will see in the VF and the outcome in your frame. For a person such as yourself, accustomed to using 35mm film- that is FF equipment, this is the simple and effective way to generate an accurate expectation when switching back and forth. Knowing it is actually the FOV that changes is a good thing. But for knowing what to expect when you snap a particular lens on a camera of one format or the other format, that simple equivalency is the quickest and best way to have an accurate expectation. "What will this lens do for me on this particular camera" is the concern. With that word "as" included, your assessment and statement about your SMC 80-200mm lens is true and is the best way of quickly gaining that understanding.

The equivalency really means, it will take a lens of xxx FL on a FF body to give you the image size and framing a lens of xx FL will give you on APS-C for the same shot from the same position. The caveat is, if you have that FF xxx FL lens and use it on the K-1 II, being willing and able to bear the extra weight and cost, it will indeed give you the same image as the similar quality xx FL lens on your KP, but now with the advantages brought by the K-1 II, including 36mp imaging vs. 24mp imaging. That said, the next step is to think of what that bigger, heavier xxx FL lens will give you when put on your KP!? Each format has its own advantages.
Thanks for taking the time with the detailed explanation, things are becoming much clearer now.
Cheers

Steve

11-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #95
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 8,604
QuoteOriginally posted by stephen_G Quote
From what I have read about the build quality of the KP I have no concerns about reliability. I have used Pentax products (admittedly film equipment), for over forty years withiut any major issues, they are a great company.
I agree, but even good companies have their slip-ups, unfortunately Pentax has a history of ignoring them, though I don't know if to a degree that's better or worse than others.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, aps-c, beginner, camera, choice, da, dfa, dslr, e.g, ff, film, fun, images, jpg, k-1, k-3, kit, lens, lenses, limiteds, mirrorless, models, ovf, pentax, photography, stock, suggestion
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello All - Looking to get into Astrophotography - pls advice on suitable Pentax DSLR Kully Welcomes and Introductions 20 12-16-2020 01:34 PM
Looking for my first DSLR, but not first SLR, for sports! SalT Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 02-05-2017 09:28 PM
New to the DSLR world and looking for advice! annap24 Welcomes and Introductions 50 10-03-2015 12:09 PM
Night My First Post as A First Time DSLR User; Please Help Out :( Hexism Photo Critique 24 12-07-2014 11:44 PM
About to buy my first DSLR (K-7), some lens advice please? Loren E Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 10-08-2010 09:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top