Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 02:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats good to hear. If its working well for you then stick with it!
I tried a DA 40 XS on the K-1 but didn't go quite so well (blurry corners and strong vignetting) but it sounds like the DA 40 Ltd performs better.
The FA 43 Ltd is a lovely lens though, and my go to lens on my K-1, but yes it is more expensive.

11-22-2021, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
On the wide end the 43 is what I'd call very "artsy". Personally I'd like to own it for that alone but it's hard to justify when I have plenty of artistic lenses as is. 2.8 is also plenty bright for indoors.

Fun and interesting lens, but in my opinion 40mm is a great jack of all trades focal length and why I kind of prefer the more generically good (and perhaps "boring") DA over the 43.
That's a very fair point.

I'm biased towards the 43 because it has a certain something where it goes from dreamy to a 3D-pop machine with stopping down, but that's just me and I'd probably be still happy with the 40 .
11-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
…some of us love our Lapsang Souchong.
Absolutely my favourite tea.

If the OP has to ask about also buying the 43 then he isn’t suffering LBA. Case closed.
11-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also the " mystique "

Especially if you find an " experienced " SMC PENTAX-FA MIJ Limited

it was the first of the famed limiteds to be produced, followed by the SMC 77mm and then the SMC 31mm

However it is what you decide you want and need that is key

As noted by the other posts there are differences

And I have the SMC PENTAX 40MM, [ the original pancake ], SMC PENTAX-DA 40 Limited, the SMC PENTAX-DA 40MM XS [ the best lens in its class ( of one ) ] and the SMC PENTAX-FA 43MM ( MIJ )

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/394919-pentax-40mm-43mm-l...ml#post4767509

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-22-2021 at 08:40 AM.
11-22-2021, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #20
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thats good to hear. If its working well for you then stick with it!
I tried a DA 40 XS on the K-1 but didn't go quite so well (blurry corners and strong vignetting) but it sounds like the DA 40 Ltd performs better.
The FA 43 Ltd is a lovely lens though, and my go to lens on my K-1, but yes it is more expensive.
A lot of important arguments have already been said here and I've very little to add. FA 43 is no doubt a great lens with character that may not be found in DA lenses. But as the focal lenght is so close to DA 40, you'll have to know if you really need that FA limited character.

I have DA 40 XS and like it more on K-1 (full frame) than on crop, in spite of vignetting and other (minor) extreme corner defects. It think the point is to know the strengths and limits of any lens, to be happy with it. Thus, what suits you, depends on what kind of pics you are after.
11-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
I managed to pick up this 40 Limited for a great price ($240) and it has quickly become my favourite little travel lens.

Before anyone says it, let me address it: I know Pentax calls it a crop-sized lens, but it is indeed a fullframe lens. As proof, take a look at this completely unedited, uncropped photo of my wife.

Everyone raves about the 43mm. It's quite a bit more expensive, so I wonder: Is it better than this lens? Because this little 40 is phenomenal.
Save up for the DFA* 50/1.4 instead. It is overall a much better lens than the 43. You won't be sorry.
11-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't remember anyone previously suggesting that any of the three FA Limiteds represent poor value due to existence of similar focal length DA Limiteds at a lower price point, but different strokes for different folks.
I think I've read (must have been here) before that the 70 is supposed to be an adequate replacement for the 77. I've yet to try the 70 on the K-1 myself, but I think the 70 is more clinical and the 77 has more personality?

11-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've had the Pentax M 40mm f/2.8 for many years. I used to take it on my ME Super as a great all-around prime lens, with its ability to fit more into the frame over the standard 50mm lenses, and its tiny size. Eventually, AF came along, and after some years, there was a considerable rebate offered for the FA 3 Amigos, so I bought the 43mm and the 77mm. The first thing I noticed upon fitting the FA 43mm f/1.9 onto the same camera where I'd been using the M 40mm, was the brighter view of the VF. I came to like both of them, but somehow was often getting better-looking images with the FA 43 Ltd. over that M 40mm lens.

Many years later now with digital, I acquired the DA 40mm. I found I had not been using the FA 43mm all that much, as it does not have the versatile FOV and accurate perspective I was getting with my film bodies. With APS-C digital, I found I have preferred the DA 40mm Ltd, as it is more versatile as a "normal" lens, letting more into the frame. With use on a FF camera this difference seems less noticeable. Now that I finally have the FF K-1 II, it is back to the FA 43mm! If I need fine edge-to-edge performance throughout various apertures, for that it is again the DA 40mm. If I had to choose between the two, I might well just go with the DA 40mm, as it does let more into the frame, and with fine edge-to-edge capability at most-used apertures, even at f/2.8 wide open. You did get a very good deal for your DA 40mm Ltd, and it is a great lens, so just enjoy it!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-23-2021 at 08:14 PM.
11-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
Any good reason to buy the 43mm when I already have the 40mm for my K1?
I am sometimes a slow learner. The title for the post pretty much infers that a good reason does not exist. The body of the post confirms any compelling suggestions otherwise will met with "yes, but". is the FA 43 "better". The answer, of course, is no. Satisfaction is the ultimate compelling reason. Yes, I know I said as much in my initial response, but feel silly making further comment downstream.

Oh, well...an entertaining way to add to the day's tally.

Steve

(...FWIW, there exists a ton of excellent FA 43 work with APS-C here on PF. It seems the crop factor is not disagreeable to the pixies...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-23-2021 at 08:43 PM.
11-23-2021, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I think I've read (must have been here) before that the 70 is supposed to be an adequate replacement for the 77. I've yet to try the 70 on the K-1 myself, but I think the 70 is more clinical and the 77 has more personality?
I have both. In this case, it is more like two different lenses, because of a more substantial difference in FL between the two. To make that even more emphatic, I seem to recall a lab test, revealing the DA 70mm came up a little shorter than 70mm. Lab tests of the 3 Amigos revealed absolute accuracy of each FL, hence the odd FL these lenses were given in their names. Once again, there is a stop difference in available aperture between these two.

The FA 77m is able to provide a very good result even wide open, although the edge performance lags until the mid apertures, where all results are superb. Bokeh is outstanding. But there is more tendency with digital for purple fringing under some circumstances.

The DA 70mm can deliver outstanding results, edge-to-edge, even wide open. Chance of purple fringing is very low. Bokeh is excellent, especially with the rounded blades of the HD version, which I have. However, it cannot quite bring a similar result as can the FA 77mm at f/1.8 aperture. The added FL of the FA 77mm helps also.

These are both super fine lenses. I am glad I have them both. Generally, I use the DA HD 70mm when I need its performance for edge-to-edge excellence and for scenes where I want a shorter FL for getting more in the frame. I use the FA 77mm when I want more reach for framing to better isolate subjects, and for low light conditions, and for closeups with extra-fine isolating bokeh. It is also great on APS-C for getting candid shots, with its amazingly small size for a fast lens of such substantial FL, allowing it to be less attention-getting.
11-24-2021, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Save up for the DFA* 50/1.4 instead. It is overall a much better lens than the 43. You won't be sorry.
I keep telling myself that the DFA* primes are total overkill for my photography (they are), they are much heavier than I'd like (also true), and they cost a lot of money (undoubtedly). I don't even like 50mm for walkaround use. But man, are the images gorgeous. Well, once I'm rich and famous and can throw money at what is, by all reasonable metrics, a frivolity .
11-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the 43 . Only use the 40XS occasionally. Also had the 40 LTD and liked it better than the XS. The 43 has a magical personality.

Thanks,
barondla
12-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The 40 is a fine lens and goes well with other DAs. The 43 goes very well with other FA ltds. I had the 21/40 combo on K3 some time ago, today I am debating with myself whether I need the 43 on K1ii. 85 and 77 draw so differently that 50/85 is nice combo and 77 and 43 should make for a separate combo. 21 DFA is probably first in line though. I will have to get the 43 at some point, to test it myself - I am likely to end up with a full set of both lens line. The * line for short distance travel and the ltds for light packaging and unobstrucive imaging.