Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any good reason to buy the 43mm when I already have the 40mm for my K1?

I managed to pick up this 40 Limited for a great price ($240) and it has quickly become my favourite little travel lens.

Before anyone says it, let me address it: I know Pentax calls it a crop-sized lens, but it is indeed a fullframe lens. As proof, take a look at this completely unedited, uncropped photo of my wife.

Everyone raves about the 43mm. It's quite a bit more expensive, so I wonder: Is it better than this lens? Because this little 40 is phenomenal.

Last edited by Dubious Drewski; 11-21-2021 at 10:41 PM.
11-21-2021, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you are happy then that's all that counts.
LBA is always under the surface
11-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
I managed to pick up this 40 Limited for a great price ($240) and it has quickly become my favourite little travel lens.

Before anyone says it, let me address it: I know Pentax calls it a crop-sized lens, but it is indeed a fullframe lens. As proof, take a look at this completely unedited, uncropped photo of my wife.

Everyone raves about the 43mm. It's quite a bit more expensive, so I wonder: Is it better than this lens? Because this little 40 is phenomenal.
It appears you have made up your mind. Fair enough.

I can't remember anyone previously suggesting that any of the three FA Limiteds represent poor value due to existence of similar focal length DA Limiteds at a lower price point, but different strokes for different folks.

Steve
11-21-2021, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is always going to be something that someone says is better. What matters is your own experience. If you are pleased with what you have, that is what really counts. The sample portrait of your lovely wife is proof you have a winner. With the lens and your spouse!

Best wishes!

11-21-2021, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm content with the 40 on my K1.
11-21-2021, 11:01 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They're quite different lenses. The FA43 is more than a stop faster, and has different rendering and performance characteristics than the DA40 Limited. It was also sold in limited numbers with Leica L39 mount and dedicated viewfinder for Leica cameras, and was (is?) quite highly-regarded by owners... but it's a lens that, in true Pentax Limited lens tradition, prioritises rendering over test-bench performance. Whether it's "better" or not is subjective - it will depend on your personal preferences and requirements.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-21-2021 at 11:06 PM.
11-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Between the DA 40 and the DFA* 50, as well as several zooms, I'm well enough covered in that range. If I ever went for any of the FA Limiteds, it would probably be the 31.

11-22-2021, 12:13 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA40 is a superb lens. No doubt about it. On crop it is sharp across the frame and utterly predictable. I should give it a better go on the K-1.

But the FA43 is different. A stop and a bit of extra light, eight flat blades, more field curvature, shallower depth of field (but frustratingly, a longer minimum focal distance) makes it another beast altogether. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but some of us love our Lapsang Souchong.
11-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The only thing with the 40mm is that it has no aperture ring. So not usefull on older film cameras. So if you get the bug of getting into film photography, then the 43 would be the right choice.
11-22-2021, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They're quite different lenses. The FA43 is more than a stop faster, and has different rendering and performance characteristics than the DA40 Limited. It was also sold in limited numbers with Leica L39 mount and dedicated viewfinder for Leica cameras, and was (is?) quite highly-regarded by owners... but it's a lens that, in true Pentax Limited lens tradition, prioritises rendering over test-bench performance. Whether it's "better" or not is subjective - it will depend on your personal preferences and requirements.
Thanks for summing this up. I might also add that although I shoot crop format, my interest in the DA Limiteds has been tempered by the substitution of conventional performance metrics for pixie dust within the line.

Steve
11-22-2021, 12:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've owned the 40 and the 43. There's not much of a difference in terms of rendering at similar fstops.
The disadvantage I found with the 43 however was the annoying field curvature for landscapes so I ended up keeping the 40 over the 43 for my use case.
11-22-2021, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Lapsang Souchong
I thougth I was the only one!
My wife gives me that look when I infuse it at breakfast
11-22-2021, 01:34 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for summing this up. I might also add that although I shoot crop format, my interest in the DA Limiteds has been tempered by the substitution of conventional performance metrics for pixie dust within the line.
The DA Limiteds aren't as individual and "non-conformist" optically-speaking as the FA Limiteds, but neither are they as "sterile" as some modern lenses. They render nicely, IMHO, though not with the degree of character the FAs are famed for. As a series, I think they offer a nice mix of high build quality and finish, compact dimensions, good (if unexceptional) performance and pleasing (if equally unexceptional) rendering. I don't regret buying my HD DA Limiteds one bit.

If I shot full frame K-mount, I'd get the FA43 in a heartbeat. Everything I've seen in terms of its rendering screams that it's my kind of lens. I'd like to own the FA31 for use on my APS-C bodies, but whilst it would have its own individual character, I'm already well covered (perhaps excessively so) by the HD FA35/2, DA35 Macro Limited and Sigma 30/1.4 Art, all of which have different strengths and rendering characteristics... oh, and the little plastic-fantastic DA35 f/2.4, which I still really like

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-22-2021 at 02:47 AM.
11-22-2021, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've owned the 40 and the 43. There's not much of a difference in terms of rendering at similar fstops.
... but quite a lot of difference at anything wider than f/2.8, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The disadvantage I found with the 43 however was the annoying field curvature for landscapes so I ended up keeping the 40 over the 43 for my use case.
It's down to use-case, isn't it? That "annoying field curvature" is partly responsible for the look it delivers in other circumstances, where a flatter-field and better-corrected lens might be at a disadvantage (depending, of course, on personal tastes). FWIW, I found (and still find) the HD DA20-40's field curvature at the long end rather aggravating... but it's only an issue in certain use-cases. It can produce really lovely images at 40mm, depending on the subject, composition and position of elements in the frame.

The OP's choice of the DA40 is a good one for general photography at this field of view, IMHO.
11-22-2021, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... but quite a lot of difference at anything wider than f/2.8, right?
On the wide end the 43 is what I'd call very "artsy". Personally I'd like to own it for that alone but it's hard to justify when I have plenty of artistic lenses as is. 2.8 is also plenty bright for indoors.

Fun and interesting lens, but in my opinion 40mm is a great jack of all trades focal length and why I kind of prefer the more generically good (and perhaps "boring") DA over the 43.