Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own a k-3 and a KP. My niece has a KS2. The KS2 isn’t an upgrade of any real substance over the k-5ii series other than the WiFi which is nice. The K-3 is less capable at high iso than the k-5 unless you downsample to 16mp. But it isn’t a huge difference. The k-3 is very nicely built and solid.

The batteries used by the ks2 and k70 are dinky and might not love ten minute exposures.

Wired remotes with a lock or programmed type can give you a ten minute exposure as well as bulb mode where you press once to open and again to close. This should work on all of the cameras but the cable socket may differ.

Interval mode on the k-3 is very powerful also.

Of your choices, if jpg is your goal the k-70 will excel more at the low light high iso end. The k-3 is better built and the battery will be much better for cold or long exposures. Tough choices. Ks-2 is an odd one. The 20mp sensor just wasn’t as clean as the 16 or 24 perhaps less development overall? Not a bad sensor at all but the k-5 16mp was sweeter. (I had a k-50 with that sensor)

I’d probably say use the k-3 and give up on not processing Raws - shoot raw+ and use the jpgs when you can.

11-22-2021, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

In my opinion, the K-3 had the worst Jpegs of all the cameras I've had... which include K10D, K20D, K200D, K-50, K-r, K-S1 and K-S2.
And of all CMOS cameras, I liked the files from the K-S1 the most. That just tells you that everyone has different tastes...
11-22-2021, 11:07 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently own the K-3 II and K-70, and previously owned the K-S2 and K-5 II.

Regarding AF for chasing kids around, it's just not something Pentax excels at, unless you can pony up for the K-3 III. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will take more involvement on the photographer's part when using Pentax compared with some other camera models. I shoot moving creatures all the time with my manual-focus lenses, so it's not like great AF is a requirement.

I prefer both the K-3 II and K-70 to the K-S2, as the K-70's high-ISO performance is the best of the trio, especially if you prefer to keep your post-processing fairly basic. I don't shoot JPG, but I'd wager the K-70 shoots better JPG than the K-3 II.

The grip on the K-S2 is pretty dinky and eventually became uncomfortable for me... but then I really enjoy the K-3 II + battery grip, so maybe my opinion on that is not helpful. The K-70's grip is more comfortable than the K-S2's, IMO.

It's a tough call between the K-70 and K-3 II, but I think if I were in your shoes I'd go for the K-70 because a) you cite weight as a consideration b) articulating screen c) better jpegs/high-ISO performance.

Alternatively, sell what you have and consider buying into another system.
11-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF performance is to a significant degree dependent on the lens in use. Which lens or lenses are you using? This can be very important.

Your K-5 II has as good of AF system as either the K-S2 or the K-70, and it has a far better set of controls, as we'll as superior in build and long-term durability. Of the cameras you are considering, the K-3 has the build quality and controls that are in the same league as your K-5 II along with an upgrade in the AF system. It also has a built-in flash similar to your K-5 II, while the K-3 II does not. But sorry, the rear screen is stationary.

11-23-2021, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@normhead has used the PLM 55-300 on his k-5 series gear and despite the aperture only working wide open. The focusing is quick and might help capture the kids at a distance.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-23-2021 at 07:23 AM.
11-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
@normhead has used the PLM 55-300 on his k-5 series gear and despite the aperture only working wide open. The focusing is quick Sand might help capture the kids at a distance.
I second the quicksand suggestion...

Steve
11-23-2021, 07:22 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I second the quicksand suggestion...

Steve
Lol. Whoops!!!!

11-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of your questions will be answered in those to reviews.
Pentax K-3 Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-70-review/versus-other-bodies.html

In short
K-70 - Best IQ of all cameras mentioned - real downgrade in handling and usability from K5ii - same AF module as K5ii - best for astrophotography
K-3 - Better AF then K5ii - but not still not on par with CanNikon - same handling as K5ii - not far behind K-70 in IQ - no real upgrade in astrophotography over K5ii (my opinion)
K-S2 - I would stick with K5ii

Astrophotography -> K-70 (but handling and built downgrade)
Faster AF -> K-3 (will not be better in astro - just my 2 cents)

Better choice -> KP

Best AF available -> K3 iii (but I would stick to my K-70/K-1 in astro)
11-23-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I have tons of photos of my kids with pentax cameras that have "poor af". Starting with a K100D, K5, K3, K1. For kids don't try and shoot everything at f1.4, or even 2.8. Use more depth of field. Also, go for longer focal lengths so you can shoot from a little further back. It's a less dizzying experience than trying to track them up close. Most importantly, and it took me a long time to learn that I needed this... Learn to use flash. Having proper light makes more difference to image quality than the camera will. Most of the kids images shot on my K100D used flash because the iso performance sucked on that camera. With the K5 my image quality went to crap because I tried to shoot everything with available light at f2.8. Now with a K1, best iso performance I've ever had, I am back to flash so I can shoot iso 100 and have amazing image quality. Don't overthink the camera body. Lenses and light matter more.
11-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I have a K-3II with a the DA 55-300mm & I can tell you that the keeper rate with kids is not that great.
Is your 55-300 one of the screwdrive versions? I photograph birds and they can be as difficult to photograph as active kids. I tried the original 55-300 for birds and I did not do very well using my K-3 (original). Now I replaced the older 55-300 with the PLM version and it made a world of difference. Now I use it more for birds than the DA* 300 because of its fast reliable autofocus. I basically have the 1.4 TC virtually attached permanently to my DA* 300 for times I need the extra reach but mostly though its the PLM that gets the most use for birds and wildlife.
11-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 18-135mm lens on a K-5 series camera makes the AF better than it is with most other lenses. In fact puts the AF in a higher league. It also has enough reach for shooting subjects at some distance. Depending on what lenses the OP has, getting this lens might be the best place to put money.

As for high ISO performance, it would be the K-70 among the models considered here, beyond a doubt. As to the K-S2, I bought a new one at a great price after the K-70 came, but only as a secondary lightweight camera to replace my K-r, which I gave to friends. It has many upgrades over the K-r, like its superior VF, both thumb and finger dials, like all Pentax DSLR models after the K-II it omits the AA filter for better fine detail in images, and of course the articulating screen which has a shutter release in the camera's reverse position setup for selfies, which was unfortunately omitted in the K-70. The articulating screen can also be useful for shooting from low or high positions. I already had the K-5 IIs. The "s" means it too lacks the AA filter. ISO quality between it and the K-S2 is very close= very good. Like the K-5 IIs, performance by the K-S2 at higher ISO is also very good, though the K-5 IIs preserves fine detail a bit better, probably due to the K-5 IIs requiring less aggressive noise suppression. I got the K-S2 only to replace my K-r as a lightweight model for backup or when I need lightweight carrying for more casual use, yet capable for serious use if that comes up. However, it cannot really be compared to the professional-level K-5 IIs, with its superior durable build, and superior controls.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-23-2021 at 02:42 PM.
11-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Is your 55-300 one of the screwdrive versions?
I have the PLM lens.
11-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #28

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all for your responses. I actually think the comments about lens choices are spot-on. I have the 18-135, but all my other lenses are screw drive or manual focus. In particular I've been trying to get use out of my Tamron 17-50 but it really doesn't focus well. After considering the suggestions, I think I will stay with my K5ii for now and swap the Tamron 17-50 for a Sigma 17-50 HSM. I think I also need to ease up on available light shooting sometimes and embrace flash abit more.
11-23-2021, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kman42 Quote
Thanks all for your responses. I actually think the comments about lens choices are spot-on. I have the 18-135, but all my other lenses are screw drive or manual focus. In particular I've been trying to get use out of my Tamron 17-50 but it really doesn't focus well. After considering the suggestions, I think I will stay with my K5ii for now and swap the Tamron 17-50 for a Sigma 17-50 HSM. I think I also need to ease up on available light shooting sometimes and embrace flash abit more.
A lot of my problems with what I thought were out of focus were actually motion blur. Using flash even applies to out doors but as fill rather than main. Something you can bounce is the way to go. You can do it on camera or off. Lately I use a Godox TT600 fully manual but with the XPro-P trigger so I can put it on a stand in the room and just let it bounce off the ceiling but still be able to adjust the power from on top of the camera. These are just from a single bounce flash on a stand in a corner of the room. These are at F1.8 on the K1+77mm but shows how the bounced light brightens the room while still looking natural and even and you get clean ISO 100. These are just casual snapshots of family doing stuff last Christmas.

It takes some practice but learning flash is not that hard. It also helps that my kids have grown and don't bounce around so much, but my youngest still does.

This was shot outdoors in dim early morning light on the shaded side of the house, same flash but put inside a cheap godox softbox.

Last edited by vector; 11-23-2021 at 08:41 PM.
11-25-2021, 03:47 AM   #30

I'm using the KS-2 and getting ready to upgrade to the K-70. The KS-2 has a really slow auto-focus that hunts a lot. Reviews suggest the K-70 is much faster.

The battery doesn't last me for a full day of shooting, but it does last for a few hours. I carry a second battery and I've never used it up. (KS-2 and K-70 have the same battery and the same shots per battery)