Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #46
Pentaxian

I barely use the second slot of my K-3II and K-1. There are cards in there but they only get used if I'm to lazy to swap cards when the first one is full. I read that research had been done and they found that most people simply use the second card slot as overflow. It was very rare to use it as backup or anything fancy.

So my feature request list for FF KP is now

1. K3 III prism
2. K3 III shutter button
3. Fixed small rear screen
4. Small battery
5. Small grip
6. One card slot
7. Bluetooth/wifi and apps that autosync downscaled images to phone.

11-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish I had got on with it. I just didn't click with the design. I sold it. I just like a deeper grip like on my K-1. It's a great camera and my brother loves his.
11-28-2021, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I was just about to jump in, then I saw the edit was it good wine? I could murder a nice cab ... And I haven't had breakfast yet

I turned 60 last week.... so have only been drinking good wine for a week... or so....

Anyway.... I like my KP so much I bought it a motorbike.
11-28-2021, 05:41 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I turned 60 last week.... so have only been drinking good wine for a week... or so....

Anyway.... I like my KP so much I bought it a motorbike.
Hahahahahaha brilliant

12-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I regret not buying one period.

I very much doubt Ricoh will come up with any kind of similar replacement.
12-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote

I very much doubt Ricoh will come up with any kind of similar replacement.
I always felt the KP was a concept tester, much like the K-01 & K-S1 and wasn't ever destined to have a long production run. The quirky cameras don't sell that many and don't get much 3rd party support but they test peoples desire for flip screens, 3rd dials, swappable grips, running lights and viewfinderless DSLRs shaped like bricks and painted yellow ..... Why does that remind me of the vogon constructor fleet? ... I still want one! Anyway, in the case of the kp they hit the bullseye. My friend shoots canon. His wife had a ks2 and I talked her into a kp. He freely admits if he wasn't invested in canon, the kp would be a no brainer. I paid ľ of the price of a k3iii for a kp that had 280 actuations. Its just a shame it's time was up. I really need a second one, for when I wear out my first.
12-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Don't forget that the KP was expensive. The K-3III is now making it look like a budget option. (the k-3 II and lowered prices of course...)

12-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Don't forget that the KP was expensive. The K-3III is now making it look like a budget option. (the k-3 II and lowered prices of course...)
Definitely... causing one to wonder if, when a K70 replacement comes out, if that model will lose its bargain value status as well. I doubt many people still want a "cheap" DSLR.
12-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me as well. It was on sale for less than 700€ two years ago and I thought for too long before ordering it, when I had made up my mind it was back up over 900 and never got that cheap again.
12-11-2021, 03:39 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like Mattias, I also sold mine to buy a K-1ii. Now I wish I'd just held onto it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Nooo. The KP line must revel in its uniqueness. No quirks = no KP
Yep...that KP stands for "Kwerky Pentax".
12-11-2021, 04:13 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't regret buying my KP just over a year ago, when my K10d died on me. I may possibly have gone for the K3iii if it had been out by then but may have been put off by the price. Still very happy with the KP though, with the small grip and a Peak Design clutch strap just sits in my had whilst out walking. I bought a battery grip when the KP was discontinued but rarely use this. Nice to have it there though when I want a bit more battery life, or doing lots of portraits.
12-11-2021, 05:21 AM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Me as well. It was on sale for less than 700€ two years ago and I thought for too long before ordering it, when I had made up my mind it was back up over 900 and never got that cheap again.
A shame. There is no replacement really. K3-3 has its own fans, but personally I think its too big an too expensive for a Pentax APS-C.

The KP was old Pentax embodied, small, capable and elegant. A reminder of their great 35mm cameras.

You should be able to stick a APS-C ILC with a flat prime in a jacket pocket. F it.
12-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my KP to help finance the K-3iii but when it disappeared from stores I gave in and got anther at a not too bad price. Glad I did. The K-3iii is an impressive camera but, oddly, it has made me see again what a fine piece of equipment the KP is. Yes, I have chronic GAS, but it feels good!
12-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Haha, he does make compelling cases for most of the gear he uses.

I've recently tried out an XT3 and a Canon Eos R, in both cases I was glad to get back to my KP, though in fairness I did like the Canon but despite being full frame I didn't think it was significantly better than my KP, often it wasn't, sometimes it was, a lot of that hinged on lens choice and ultimately all my gear was the same cost as the canon and one lens, the KP and Ltds are a pretty killer combo in my view.
Looking at photons to photos website my Sony a7riii and KP are very close in dynamic range at similar iso above 800 or so.

With the right choices itís hard to beat. I use both and donít hesitate to take the ones thatís interesting to me that day - quality is rarely a factor. For Astro that I want to get into more in the future Iím torn, for certain high detail shots I like the larger sensor but the truth is thereís very little reason to pick one over the other for image quality. Modern cameras are very good.
12-11-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel the same way.

A few years ago when I was in the market for a companion to my K-3 II, the KP was $800 and the K-70 was $525, so I got the K-70. It's a terrific camera and I have no regrets about the purchase, but the KP is special in the history of Pentax DSLRs and that's the allure for me.