Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mattias Burling regrets selling his KP

A lesson for us all.

11-26-2021, 12:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mattias's original review convinced me once and for all that I needed the KP, and he was dead right I love his YouTube channel, it is just a pleasure to watch
11-26-2021, 01:06 AM - 9 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Everyone regret Pentax, but strangely enough, they don't switch back. My advice, if you miss Pentax, just sell you Fuji, Nikon , Sony, Canon , and buy Pentax again instead of just saying you miss Pentax.
11-26-2021, 01:33 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Why listen to people who have not even come close to self mastering? Might as well be lead by 5yo's.... or even worse.... believe what politicians mouth.

Edit.... friday evening here... drunk some read wine......

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-26-2021 at 01:40 AM.
11-26-2021, 01:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Everyone regret Pentax, but strangely enough, they don't switch back. My advice, if you miss Pentax, just sell you Fuji, Nikon , Sony, Canon , and buy Pentax again instead of just saying you miss Pentax.
If you watch the video he says the reason why it is #1 is because he will be buying another
11-26-2021, 01:45 AM - 13 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too bad the KP was discontinued so quickly. It's definitely worthy of a successor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2021, 01:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Why listen to people who have not even come close to self mastering? Might as well be lead by 5yo's.... or even worse.... believe what politicians mouth.

Edit.... friday evening here... drunk some read wine......
I was just about to jump in, then I saw the edit was it good wine? I could murder a nice cab ... And I haven't had breakfast yet

Re Mattias Burling, he is invested in Fuji and Leica. I think he also has Pentax Q. He is a big fan of Pentax, more so than the others. What I like about him is he lives with the camera before reviewing it, unlike the other "experts" in the KP one, amongst the standard stuff he went into how he had customised the third dial. He also tested and showed an example of the video rather than banging on about it not being like a Sony. I like his style and examples. He is one reviewer I have plenty of time for

---------- Post added 26-11-21 at 01:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Too bad the KP was discontinued so quickly. It's definitely worthy of a successor.
The KP is exceptional. A future classic. I love mine I just wish the battery grip wasn't so big as it turns the mini marvel into a monster albeit a really nice one

11-26-2021, 01:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Mattias's original review convinced me once and for all that I needed the KP
Same here. I'd completely forgotten. The man has cost me a small fortune.
11-26-2021, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Same here. I'd completely forgotten. The man has cost me a small fortune.
Same here. I have lost count of the times I have watched his video and gone straight to eBay I think the examples he shows are a major factor. I love his images!
11-26-2021, 02:34 AM   #10
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Same here. I have lost count of the times I have watched his video and gone straight to eBay I think the examples he shows are a major factor. I love his images!
Haha, he does make compelling cases for most of the gear he uses.

I've recently tried out an XT3 and a Canon Eos R, in both cases I was glad to get back to my KP, though in fairness I did like the Canon but despite being full frame I didn't think it was significantly better than my KP, often it wasn't, sometimes it was, a lot of that hinged on lens choice and ultimately all my gear was the same cost as the canon and one lens, the KP and Ltds are a pretty killer combo in my view.
11-26-2021, 03:07 AM - 10 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax KP is a camera that grows on you, when reading the marketing blurb about it I couldn't help but think - who is this camera for? I thought I wouldn't like it because of the weird batteries and the lack of a top data LCD but those turned out to be a complete non-issue. My biggest criticism of the KP is the basic grip that comes with it is too small. Which makes the vertical grip and the deeper body grip that comes with it, an essential accessory.

But I have gotten some really great photos from it:

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-13-2021 at 09:02 PM.
11-26-2021, 03:23 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressed he sticks to his rule of only 2 camera bodies at a time (even with cheap ones)!

My issue is can't bring my self to sell photographic gear very often. Exception being I did sell my K-x - good camera but just totally eclipsed by the K-5 I acquired at the time.

As good as it looks I haven't owned a K-P, as really my K-5 & K-01 do the APS-C job for me when I'm not using the K-1.
11-26-2021, 03:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think that many who actually did buy K-P has been and still is very pleased with it. I did skip it, but have been tempted many times. I went for K-3III. Something in line with K-p + K-3III combined, and who knows some new fun things and small limiteds(or bigger FA&DFA if that is what you want, is prety slick combo. Or 'just' 16-50 & 55-300 PLM kit. perhaps 11-18 and you'll be set for anything out there...
11-26-2021, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Having come back to Pentax after selling my Fujifilm X-T1 (see, some of us come back ) the K-P was very much on the wishlist... Along with the money to buy one

I'll be saving and will enjoy the upgrade from my K-7 when the day comes!
11-26-2021, 04:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The Pentax KP is a camera that grows on you, when reading the marketing blurb about it I couldn't help but think - who is this camera for?. I thought I wouldn't like it because of the weird batteries and the lack of a top data LCD but those turned out to be a complete non-issue. My biggest criticism of the KP is the basic grip that comes with it is too small. Which makes the camera grip and the deeper body grip that comes with it, an essential accessory.

But I have gotten some really great photos from it:

Gorgeous images. I have had quite a few calendar shots from mine. Its strange how in some countries you only get one grip. In the UK it came with all three