Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivar_bg Quote
Hope the successor of KP will be with a K3 body...
Like... a K-3 III?

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 04:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Too bad the KP was discontinued so quickly. It's definitely worthy of a successor.
I sure agree. It fits so well at the price mid-point between the K-70 and K-3 III. And with differences making it attractive as an alternative to either, including its versatility in variable physical aspects and in features.

11-26-2021, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was so lucky to get the KP almost 2 years ago to the day at a price point it never got to since. I paid €659 incl. VAT and delivery. It has been my best Pentax body ever. Last time I had such a good body was the K20D. The others in between weren't bad, quite the contrary but they didn't match the feel and performance of either (K20D of course measured against other options of that day and age).

I might splurge on a grip but that's all - I'm nowhere near ready to let the KP go (and not interested in FF either). I'm lusting for the new Irix 30mm/f1.4 now - I believe the only WR sealed 30mm fast wide in the market. It'll go well with my Irix 150mm/f2.8 macro which has been a real eye-opener for me. The only issue of the Irixes on the KP is that they are a bit bulky in comparison - you instantly see the snout of the lens and the camerabody is merely hiding behind it...LOL
11-26-2021, 04:35 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I just wish the battery grip wasn't so big as it turns the mini marvel into a monster
But that is the idea behind its very unique physical, and functional, flexibility! It can be conformed to fit various individual styles, lenses, and also certain needs as they come up.
11-26-2021, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WileyB regrets not buying the KP last year when it was $600 new with a sweet flash…

11-26-2021, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Have you seen Mathias Burling's video review on the KP, it's pure love!
11-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

The KP is simply fantastic in many ways. I for one really like the versatility of the interchangeable grips - small grip for travel and casual shooting, then put the large grip and battery grip on for swinging around the 150-450. I don't know how I managed before I had it
11-26-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I just wish the battery grip wasn't so big as it turns the mini marvel into a monster
Looks like Pentax missed out on a marvelous marketing opportunity..

Pentax KP in Duratech olive green could have been a thing.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-26-2021 at 06:43 PM.
11-26-2021, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #38
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The KP is simply fantastic in many ways. I for one really like the versatility of the interchangeable grips - small grip for travel and casual shooting, then put the large grip and battery grip on for swinging around the 150-450. I don't know how I managed before I had it
My only wish is if there was an add-on grip with a bit of a index-finger cutout so it was easier to use the KP with bigger lenses without having to squeeze so hard on the camera, which I find myself doing. Although proper lens-holding technique helps with that.
11-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sold mine, I don't really regret it as it just wasn't a fit for the kind of shooting I do, but it was one of the best cameras I've used for sure.
11-27-2021, 12:11 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I like my KP very much, I do have a couple of First World Problems with it. The battery is different from my K1 and K5 but as I have 4 batteries not a huge issue. Next is the price of the body grips for a bit of plastic seems a bit steep, then we get to the battery grip itself, which is priced at more than half of what I paid for my used KP with less than 3k shots and added to the insult is a K1 grip is available for less, but I suppose that as long as Pentax makes a profit, it keeps living.
11-27-2021, 01:11 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
But that is the idea behind its very unique physical, and functional, flexibility! It can be conformed to fit various individual styles, lenses, and also certain needs as they come up.
That's something I hadn't considered. I have my grip on right now and it certainly steps it up to a pro look and feel, totally different. Good point I love it even more now
11-27-2021, 01:24 AM   #42
Pentaxian

It took a while for the KP love to grow!
11-27-2021, 02:28 AM   #43

Sure the KP is very capable camera but the size, grips and battery. K5 & K3 body design is the best ever. So IMO the next KP if possible in the K5 /K3 body and battery with movable screen.
Regards
11-27-2021, 03:12 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently received a KP purchased here on PF. It is such a great camera, wonderful for the days I don’t want to lug the K-1 around. I also find that having a second DSLR is definitely a plus when I go out for a photo adventure.
11-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivar_bg Quote
Sure the KP is very capable camera but the size, grips and battery. K5 & K3 body design is the best ever. So IMO the next KP if possible in the K5 /K3 body and battery with movable screen.
Regards
You already have that in the k3iii. I would like to see the AF and pentaprism upgrades and more options for the third wheel but keep the small form factor, interchangeable grips, flip screen (not fixed or articulating) and all the wheels, buttons and switches (inc live view) as they are. The whole point of the KP is that its different but still quite superb. It has features that you don't appreciate until you use them. The K30/50 was an example of this. The K30 design broke new ground and divided opinion, I loved mine, it was a little bit radical. In the k50 this was toned down and the result was meh! The KP is radical. It would be such a shame if its successor was mainstream. Yes, a better battery would be nice but the one in it gives you as many shots as a mirrorless. Let's keep it slim and just carry a spare

---------- Post added 27-11-21 at 09:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It took a while for the KP love to grow!
It did, but once it took hold ..... Its just such a shame it was at the end of its run

---------- Post added 27-11-21 at 09:53 AM ----------

Don't get me wrong, I love the ergonomics of the K3 (I have the classic (v1, but classic sounds better)) I love the grip, the buffer, the build, the IQ, the two slots, the bigger battery ... I use mine 50% of the time, but when I am going out on a fun or portrait shoot its the KP every time because of the slightly better IQ and AF and also because I have the whole exposure triangle in the dials