Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndKM Quote
Hello!
I am torn between upgrading to a K-3 III or a K-1 II… I shoot only portraits or sports - rarely anything else. I have had the K-r, K-3, & K-3 II. My shutter count is getting way up there & I’m worried my II will see the end of its days before too long. Any suggestions or thoughts one way or the other?

Thanks so much!
I have had the very good K-3 and K-5 for my sports photography jobs and added the K-3 Mark iii this spring. I can't tell you the HUGE benefit and difference the K-3 Mark iii makes in my action sports photography jobs, as well as my senior portrait photo shoots. I would highly recommend the K-3 Mark iii for sports over the K-1, mainly for shutter speed and autofocus speeds. I hardly have any action throw-aways now, it is so very good and fast. If there weren't user error on my part, I think I wouldn't have any bad shots. It is worth the money and the quality is what you expect from Pentax: top notch!

11-30-2021, 01:20 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I skipped the K-3 III and got a second K-1 II body in lieu, taking advantage of the recent discounts. The latter is still delivers very impressive results, and will likely be the permanent site for the limiteds 21/2.4 and 31/1.8. As for wildlife, my K-3 II shall do just fine still. If next year Ricoh doesn't follow up with K-1 III, I may reconsider the K-3 III.
11-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably everything is pretty much covered by previous comments. But key questions:
1. What FF lenses do you already have?
2. Can you live a somewhat bigger system (although if you using the FA limiteds its still pretty small)?
11-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #49
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirocal Quote
If next year Ricoh doesn't follow up with K-1 III, I may reconsider the K-3 III.
An updated K-1 III would be a very nice addition to the Pentax line up

12-01-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Correct, which is why I said what I would do, not what the OP should do.
But the OP did not ask what you would do, but give advice on what he should do!
12-02-2021, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I suppose it's just a matter of personal style. I prefer not to tell people what I think they should do; instead, I prefer to say what I would do in the situation and s/he can determine if the reasoning makes sense for her or him. Not always the best method, perhaps, but that was my intent.
12-03-2021, 03:49 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I suppose it's just a matter of personal style. I prefer not to tell people what I think they should do; instead, I prefer to say what I would do in the situation and s/he can determine if the reasoning makes sense for her or him. Not always the best method, perhaps, but that was my intent.
I understand, thanks for explaining. Most of the time I try to be "neutral" about it, but not always I do it that way!

12-04-2021, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

You are happy with apsc so far- go for K3lll. New camera and topping your older camera by far.
The 77 ltd shines on K1, but you can upgrade to ff later. Having K1ii I am really thinking, both is required in the long run.