Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2021, 04:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Yeah that does make sense I’m afraid. It shouldn’t but it does. So where could someone get a comparative perspective on the sensor of these models?
I suppose checking the sensors that go into similar cameras from other brands, but mirrorless cameras almost always come with AF pixels built into the sensors these days, which impact image quality, while for DSLRs this isn't as important as it's only used when focusing in live-view, which is in theory a "secondary" way of using the camera.

11-30-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could instead use the camera to make photos: I didn’t see any on DXO, don’t think they do that. Or are we suffering from Fear Of Missing Out?
11-30-2021, 06:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I suppose checking the sensors that go into similar cameras from other brands, but mirrorless cameras almost always come with AF pixels built into the sensors these days, which impact image quality, while for DSLRs this isn't as important as it's only used when focusing in live-view, which is in theory a "secondary" way of using the camera.
I have two EVs in relatively cheap cameras. I might have used them twice in 5 years. I think I've blindly pointed a wide angle at a scene hoping for the best as often as I've used the EVs.
11-30-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want to beat up DXO Mark's scores too much, but too much was always made of small differences in scores. 2 or 3 points difference really is unlikely to impact image quality. Base iso dynamic range seems to overstate the effect of numerous auto focus points on the sensor, as that introduces banding at lower isos. DXO Mark always knocked the effect that something like the accelerator brought to the table.

11-30-2021, 07:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I don't want to beat up DXO Mark's scores too much, but too much was always made of small differences in scores.
This was discussed years ago. Our consensus at that time was that images within 5 points of each other are indistinguishable. 5 points may make a difference to measuring devices... it make no difference to the human eye. As long as you go into the comparison with the mindset that less than 5 points difference is really a tie, you'll be good.

Especially wth interpretive numbers, that are derivations of the actual feature being studied, you have to understand the value of what you're looking at.
11-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This was discussed years ago. Our consensus at that time was that images within 5 points of each other are indistinguishable. 5 points may make a difference to measuring devices... it make no difference to the human eye. As long as you go into the comparison with the mindset that less than 5 points difference is really a tie, you'll be good.

Especially wth interpretive numbers, that are derivations of the actual feature being studied, you have to understand the value of what you're looking at.
When the K-5 came out, its high iso score was 20 or 30 points better than the D7000 score. Some people made a big deal about it at the time as Pentax had bragging rights as best APS-C sensor out at the time. The reality was that they had roughly the same sensor and while I like Pentax's rendering better, this tiny difference shouldn't make anyone's mind about what camera to get.
11-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

more of a shame is the ephotozine seem to have given up reviewing Pentax (or Ricoh has stopped feeding them samples?)- they always seemed fair and thus favourable

11-30-2021, 07:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
more of a shame is the ephotozine seem to have given up reviewing Pentax (or Ricoh has stopped feeding them samples?)- they always seemed fair and thus favourable
Maybe their Pentax guy retired?
11-30-2021, 08:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
When the K-5 came out, its high iso score was 20 or 30 points better than the D7000 score. Some people made a big deal about it at the time as Pentax had bragging rights as best APS-C sensor out at the time. The reality was that they had roughly the same sensor and while I like Pentax's rendering better, this tiny difference shouldn't make anyone's mind about what camera to get.
We used to talk about Pentax DR as better than Canons, but there I was at craft show beside a Canon guy, and he had some very good images. Some of which were better because he used the lack of DR to his advantage. A few years alter when I saw him again, he'd switched to Nikon as he was getting heavier into landscapes, but for what he shot before, flowers, grunge locations, decaying manufactured products, the Canon did just fine for him.

He was shooting with a DR of a little over 11 EV, I was shooting with close to 14 EV. My observation was, if you don't need the DR because your subject didn't exceed 11 EV of DR, the lower DR made for the appearance of higher contrast, and in some image, it really gave his images some punch.
11-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We used to talk about Pentax DR as better than Canons, but there I was at craft show beside a Canon guy, and he had some very good images. Some of which were better because he used the lack of DR to his advantage. A few years alter when I saw him again, he'd switched to Nikon as he was getting heavier into landscapes, but for what he shot before, flowers, grunge locations, decaying manufactured products, the Canon did just fine for him.

He was shooting with a DR of a little over 11 EV, I was shooting with close to 14 EV. My observation was, if you don't need the DR because your subject didn't exceed 11 EV of DR, the lower DR made for the appearance of higher contrast, and in some image, it really gave his images some punch.
I think the big thing was that curves looked pretty similar between Canon and Nikon after about iso 400. It wasn't as big a deal for non-tripod shooting because of that.

There is a point where it is difficult if you are a landscape shooter. The K-7 really was pretty miserable -- push the shadows much and you get serious banding. The only solution was multiple exposures and HDR. I'm glad that modern cameras don't require that as it could easily give an unnatural look.
11-30-2021, 08:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I think the big thing was that curves looked pretty similar between Canon and Nikon after about iso 400. It wasn't as big a deal for non-tripod shooting because of that.

There is a point where it is difficult if you are a landscape shooter. The K-7 really was pretty miserable -- push the shadows much and you get serious banding. The only solution was multiple exposures and HDR. I'm glad that modern cameras don't require that as it could easily give an unnatural look.
For me, the K-5 was the turning point.. and we still own and shoot two of them.
11-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you're saying there are lens profiles for all my lenses somewhere? Because that was my complaint.
Hi normhead, that's reason why I recently purchased DXO PhotoLab in addition to Capture One Pro - look here and you may find what you're looking for - camera and lens profiles.

At least all the Pentax lenses I own are supported with the exception of the M lenses.

Some more words and this

Last edited by acoufap; 11-30-2021 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added some more words and this link.
11-30-2021, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Even when you have access to dynamic range it's quite difficult to manage it in a way that look natural imho. It's really quite the skill pushing a wide dynamic range into a smaller one whilst maintaining a natural looking image.
11-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Even when you have access to dynamic range it's quite difficult to manage it in a way that look natural imho. It's really quite the skill pushing a wide dynamic range into a smaller one whilst maintaining a natural looking image.
I’m a fan of this process. I started playing with this inevitably, when I would shoot with my 8mp CCD ... only low iso , purely for nice strong light, limited DR (with today’s standards) gaining great shadows, punchy color palette and texture, with a realistic look. High contrast, high quality. Fun, authentic.
Sometimes a good photo is beyond the technically correct approach.
11-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Even when you have access to dynamic range it's quite difficult to manage it in a way that look natural imho. It's really quite the skill pushing a wide dynamic range into a smaller one whilst maintaining a natural looking image
I disagree. Today using modern software it is easy to produce a HDR image that looks natural with bracketed exposures.