Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

K10d got wet, won't start.

I as out shooting in the snow today, my k10d got pretty wet and now it won't turn on. I have gotten the camera wet before without problems so i was not concerned while i was out shooting today. Is there something I can do while it dries out to save my camera? Right now i'm just letting it sit without taking it apart at all. Any helpful advice?

Thanks

12-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Banned

is the camera still cold? it could be the cold effecting the battery. or moisture could have gotten in through the lens mount. what lens were you using?
12-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

whenever you get any electronics wet, NEVER turn the device on unless ur 100% sure it has dried off...

How exactly did it get wet? I had my k100dd out during a bad snow storm for a long period of time and it worked jus fine. How exactly did it get wet?
12-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #4

Take it apart as much as possible (without voiding the warranty of course)

Lens, battery, SD Card, any removable covers (flash mount cover, etc)

Leave them to warm to room temperature apart, then try and tissue any wet parts you can get to.

12-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was using the 18-55 kit lens. I didn't realize it till I brought the camera in that since the camera was warm when I brought it outside the snow that hit it melted then froze. I could see ice around the lens mount and the on off switch. Seems like it was a bad idea over all. I'm going to take it apart as RP-K20D suggests and see how it goes.
12-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

cyclo,
I can't promise anything on how this would work for you. But last winter, i had a manual Pentax lens from ebay sit in my outdoor mailbox for 6 days when there was snow on the ground, etc. When i got it unpackaged, the lens had internal condensation in it. I held it in my hand, rotating it as i slowly warmed it with a hair dryer held by my other hand. Slowly the condensation on the lens got smaller, smaller and disappeared. Holding the lens in my hand ensured that the lens would not get too warm.

Perhaps you could do something similar. Keeping the doors to the battery and card open will provide a path for moisture to exit the camera. Can;t make any guarantees here, but gentle warming might help over a coupla hours to rid the camera of the moisture. I would leave everything open for at least 24 hours. If still not working, leave it open longer. Moisture can be incredibly hard to remove from the inside of equipment.
12-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had an *istD get soaked (swamped in a kayak) and it did all sorts of funny things until dried out.

WHat I did, as others have suggested is open all covers, pull the batteries, take off the lens, etc and leave it in the sun until it dried out.

It has worked fine for the past 4 1/2 years.

if you are lucky you didn't short anything out.
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well I took it completely apart and didn't see any water anywhere, but i let it sit for a bit then put it back together but it still didn't turn on. Now i'm a little embarrassed, because I charged the battery, and bingo! It started right up. As I was thinking about it, it had been some time since I charged it, and the battery meter is pretty much worthless. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence that the battery ran out at the same time I got the camera wet, but everything works fine now! Thanks for all the responses

12-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's ok, happens to everyone. Glad you were able to fix it.
12-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love it when I make those kind of mistakes, at least when I don't get a heart attack first before I figure it out:-). I was worried because I had my K10D out in a drizzle a couple of weeks ago and it got pretty wet, I had no problems (was using a DA* lens) but I don't need any reports of problems like this:-).
12-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yeah, I think it was the fact that I saw actual ice on my camera around most of the places where water could get in. Ice on electronics just doesn't seem right even if there is weather sealing. Then of course I was shooting and had left the camera on the whole time and i come in the house see that it's on, with no display turn it off then on nothing happens, I see the water and ice and I assume it must have gotten in the camera some where. I'm just really glad everything is working no problems, i really can't afford to replace the camera at this point. I'm also really glad for the weather seals doing there job!
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclocross Quote
Well I took it completely apart and didn't see any water anywhere, but i let it sit for a bit then put it back together but it still didn't turn on. Now i'm a little embarrassed, because I charged the battery, and bingo! It started right up. As I was thinking about it, it had been some time since I charged it, and the battery meter is pretty much worthless. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence that the battery ran out at the same time I got the camera wet, but everything works fine now! Thanks for all the responses
Good for you, glad it worked out. I was just reading this post thinking how did some snow/water get into the K10D enough to make it not turn on! I shoot all the time in rain/snow, you would have been the only person I have every read of (that I remember) that ruined their K10 from some snow, and not dropping it, dunking it... again congratulations nothing to be embarrassed about I do things like that often and start to panic and think my GX10 just died...
12-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Forum Member

don't leave it in the sun, put it in a bag of rice. The rice will absorb all of the condensation, without heating up the equipment
12-08-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That bag of rice tip is a good one. I keep a few packs of silica gel in my bag and cabinet.

After a trip of shooting in the outdoors (bad weather, mountains, beaches etc) I "disassemble" everything and put it in my cabinet. Clean, wipe, blower the body and lenses. Then I leave it overnight in the cabinet with the silica gel, with no lens caps, rear caps, body caps, all compartment/port doors open, battery taken out. That way any leftover moisture is taken away. It's very humid here in the Philippines, tropic weather all year round.

Been doing that for 3 years now and my gear hasn't had any problems. It's a good routine and will keep your gear in top shape. A dry box will help too.
12-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclocross Quote
It takes a brave person to admit they made an error

glad your camera is ok