Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2021, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #1

K-70 reboot: should I worry?

Last week I got a new K-70 to replace my KS-2 that has a bad LCD. I got years of use from the KS-2 and was very happy with it.

Today shortly after I started shooting, the camera went completely dark, while still in the "on" position. I turned it off and back on, but it didn't come back on. I removed and replaced the battery, and it came back on. I continued and shot 450 frames with no more problems.

Is that a normal thing to happen? It never happened with my KS-2. And should I worry? Should I return it?

12-04-2021, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it new, or just new to you? If new, you have plenty of time to activate the warranty, so give it a few weeks to see if it recurs. If it does, return it immediately.

Is it possible the battery was nearly drained?
12-05-2021, 12:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Is it new, or just new to you? If new, you have plenty of time to activate the warranty, so give it a few weeks to see if it recurs. If it does, return it immediately.

Is it possible the battery was nearly drained?
It is new-new, via amazon, and the battery was fully charged.
12-05-2021, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crashes do happen from time to time, but if they happen consistently or recurrently, then there could be something wrong with the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2021, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The oft-repeated question … is the firmware up to date?
New cameras often have quite old firmware installed.
Many firmware updates refer to "general reliability problems" or similar without defining exactly what. See Latest PENTAX K-70 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING for details.
FWIW, I don't remember my K-70 having this problem in nearly 25k exposures, though my K-3iii suffers occasionally … I just live with it (and cuss), it's too intermittent to expect a definitive repair!
Did the K-70 come with a new lens, or are you using lenses from your older camera?
Whilst the lenses shouldn't be a problem, per se, the contacts may need cleaning

Last edited by kypfer; 12-05-2021 at 05:30 AM. Reason: sp.
12-05-2021, 04:08 AM   #6
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Crashes do happen from time to time, but if they happen consistently or recurrently, then there could be something wrong with the camera.
+1 for that. I imagine how many complex processes have to be done there. Sometimes we just have to forgive our gear.
12-05-2021, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As Adam has indicated, the odd "crash" or strange behaviour isn't unknown... My K-3 and K-5 have both got confused on a couple of occasions, but it has been extremely rare. There's a lot of technology and complex software packed into these cameras, and just like our PCs, tablets and phones, they're not immune to occasional hardware and software glitches. If it doesn't happen again in the next few days or weeks, I wouldn't worry about it...

12-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would just keep an eye on it. If it does it again exchange it for another one.
12-05-2021, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if just one-off event , I would not worry about it .
All electronic microprocessor controlled gear might need occasional reboot.
As long as all expected operations / functions are performing as they should , just enjoy your new camera.
12-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The oft-repeated question … is the firmware up to date?
New cameras often have quite old firmware installed.
Many firmware updates refer to "general reliability problems" or similar without defining exactly what. See Latest PENTAX K-70 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING for details.
FWIW, I don't remember my K-70 having this problem in nearly 25k exposures, though my K-3iii suffers occasionally … I just live with it (and cuss), it's too intermittent to expect a definitive repair!
Did the K-70 come with a new lens, or are you using lenses from your older camera?
Whilst the lenses shouldn't be a problem, per se, the contacts may need cleaning
Thanks, great points! The firmware is the latest.

I'm using my old lenses, and in fact I had just changed lenses, so that might be it! I'll clean the contacts.

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 02:09 PM ----------

Thanks everybody, I feel better knowing that a few crashes are normal. I'm not really used to electronics crashing, but I'm also a linux user with a dumb TV and almost no apps on my phone, etc.
12-06-2021, 02:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5 had a tendency to freeze up on me and only with one lens, the 70-300 Sigma DG. I rarely use that lens with the K-1ii but it has never occurred on the K-1ii.
Interestingly, it only ever did it with the lens at the 300mm end of the zoom. So, if I was you, I'd see first if the problem occurs with a specific lens and based on that, make the decision on whether the problem is really a camera one or a lens one.