Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-m question

I am still using my K100d and quite happy with it, but am very intrigued by the size and features of the K-m. I have a few questions though. I tend to use the center focus point almost exclusively, how is the K-m AF speed compared to the K100/200? What about the viewfinder and battery life?

12-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i haven't tried one, but I have heard reports that the AF on the K-M is definitely faster then the K100D and K10D
12-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I haven't seen you posting for a long time. Welcome back.

I am doing a little research on the K-M/K2000 and hope to find one in a local camera shop tomorrow. I will keep your questions in mind and with any luck be able to provide you with some feedback.

Steve
12-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

I am looking for this camera too, does anyone have it and share your experience?

12-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I haven't seen you posting for a long time. Welcome back.

I am doing a little research on the K-M/K2000 and hope to find one in a local camera shop tomorrow. I will keep your questions in mind and with any luck be able to provide you with some feedback.

Steve
Yes, I've been away for awhile. I've forum overload and needed a break. I also started a dream job running an art co op, I get paid to paint!!!

I think I'm just going to buy the damn camera and be done with it, maybe tomorrow.
12-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have played with the Km at work, and yes, the AF is faster than either the K200D or the K20D in the same light (the older two equipped with the 18-55II, the Km with the 18-55L). The frame rate is also noticeably faster (3.5fps) than the K200D under high speed continuous shooting, RAW or JPEG. Overall, a quick little camera, definitely comparable to Canikson offerings in it's price range.

Now, don't forget that you are losing the weatherproofing, the metal-mounted (and more substantial feeling) kit lens, and the top LCD from the K200D, and their prices are extremely close right now. So if speed is the order of the day, I'd say go for the Km. If you can live with slightly slower FPS and focusing, the K200D is a pretty nice package.

Go and try it out. See what you think. I think it's a pretty solid feeling entry level camera, much more so than the XS/D40/D60.
12-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
Yes, I've been away for awhile. I've forum overload and needed a break. I also started a dream job running an art co op, I get paid to paint!!!

I think I'm just going to buy the damn camera and be done with it, maybe tomorrow.
I hear ya regarding the forum overload. I stay active here because I like seeing the great work that the members submit and every once in awhile I can make a meaningful contribution or learn something new. Despite the benefits, it can be a huge time-waster (as he sits typing past his bedtime).

If you buy the camera tomorrow, you might want to work up a review with your impressions.

Steve

BTW...Congratulations on your job. Getting paid to pursue one or more of one's passions is a rare treat! I wish you nothing but success. I always wanted to explore the "Sunshine Coast" and if I am ever in Gibsons, I will see if your group has a gallery and stop in for a peek.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-07-2008 at 11:39 PM.
12-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd be happy to work up a little review tomorrow. The plastic mount doesn't bother me as I have a few other lenses (16-45, 28-70 f4 etc.) and would only use the kit lens for when I need extreme portability.

The lack of top LCD worries me a bit, but I like the faster FPS and focusing. As to weather sealing I use the old ziplock bag trick and it works fine. Actually I have taken my K100 out in extremely dodgy conditions and it still works perfectly. My wife, however has decided that she wants it, which means I get a new one. I want the K20 but we don't have the money right now.
12-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
I'd be happy to work up a little review tomorrow. The plastic mount doesn't bother me as I have a few other lenses (16-45, 28-70 f4 etc.) and would only use the kit lens for when I need extreme portability.

The lack of top LCD worries me a bit, but I like the faster FPS and focusing. As to weather sealing I use the old ziplock bag trick and it works fine. Actually I have taken my K100 out in extremely dodgy conditions and it still works perfectly. My wife, however has decided that she wants it, which means I get a new one. I want the K20 but we don't have the money right now.
Prices have come down a lot on the K20D, but I it is still a bit to bite off.

Although the K2000 lacks a top LCD, the information is displayed on the rear, main LCD much as on a P&S. You might want to see what kind of deal you can swing on a K200D. It has been priced right in there with the K2000 and has the advantage of having the sealed body. It also comes with the metal mount version of the 18-55. No bundled flash, however.

Steve
12-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dont think you get the flash when you buy in Canada, I'll have to check though.
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #11

In my opinion, I wuold say that images from K-m are more beautiful than images from k10 . But could be only my feeling.

but ....

davide