Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have always been very slow about deciding on a purchase, doing a lot of research in advance.
Same here. There are so many reviews online for most products, you can get complete specifications including dimensions and weight, and the reviews normally give a very good idea of build quality, materials used, ergonomics etc. I read as many as I can find for anything I'm going to buy (though I rarely rely on Amazon reviews as the system is abused by unscrupulous sellers), and focus especially on the negative aspects to decide if they matter to me or might be problematic. For photographic equipment, I also gauge user opinions in forums like these. I use a tape measure or ruler to see if the dimensions are OK, and if I'm concerned about weight, I approximately match the specified weight with household items on my cooking scales, so I can get a decent idea before ordering

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I have generally been very satisfied upon receiving what I finally did buy. I have gone through the inconvenience of a return only on a rare occasion when something was really wrong. My K-1 II came with such badly damaged packaging, I did not trust that the camera did not suffer interior damage, even though it looked ok. I simply looked at the camera and put it right back into its box. I then contacted B&H to arrange a return and replacement with another new K-1 II- no problem, which has been great.
I've returned numerous products to Amazon and other retailers over the years, though it's a very low percentage of my total orders. Reasons have included incorrect product shipped, damaged product, faulty product or quality control issue, questionable new/used condition, size / colour / quality didn't match description or photos, incorrect quantity received, creased book covers or badly bent corners, and even just badly damaged retail packaging or very late delivery - especially if it was a gift for someone. I have absolutely no problem with returning something in circumstances such as these.

Like you, I've been mostly satisfied with the things I've ordered. Occasionally, insufficient research on my part has led to a couple of mildy unpleasant surprises or disappointments, or my own opinion of a product has been at odds with the myriad reviews and user opinions I've read. In those instances, since there was nothing actually wrong with it or the service I received from the supplier, I took it on the chin. The thing is, in time, I've adapted to the products in question and have had great use from them

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-09-2021 at 02:33 PM.
12-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Hey everyone I wanted to ask what has it been like for anyone if they've ever had to return a lens to Amazon? I want to potentially buy a few to try out but am afraid I may run into problems returning one if they just dont fit me or my style. Anyone's experience would be much appreciated!
Always look for sold by Amazon or fullfilled by Amazon. In a few cases I had the money back before they confirmed receiving the item, i.e. in the case of a Metz 44 AF? for Nikon. The money was back on the creditcard shortly after UPS had confirmed that I dropped the item at the local UPS handler.
12-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #18

Buying from Amazon means supporting their way of doing business......Buyers are short time winners but long time losers....
Support smaller companies, or if possible local business....
12-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Interesting article, written in 2021, here:

Too Many Returns on Amazon? When Will Amazon Ban your Account?

Quite extreme circumstances, but I think it kind of supports what I was saying...
My read of this is that it was a bit of a revenge piece. The writer themselves had the issue with Amazon. There aren’t any real statistics and a return rate of 10% on a large number of items seems high.

I wouldn’t worry myself about returning a lens if my pattern of buying and returns was like mine. Buy buy buy buy - few returns all for rational reasons.

But - clearly from the comments some people feel wrongly banned and perhaps there is a list and I’m dangerously on the edge. If so Walmart gets my online business next. Lol.

12-09-2021, 02:26 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I wouldn’t worry myself about returning a lens if my pattern of buying and returns was like mine. Buy buy buy buy - few returns all for rational reasons.
From what I know of you in these forums, Brad, I seriously doubt if you're on Amazon's radar

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But - clearly from the comments some people feel wrongly banned and perhaps there is a list and I’m dangerously on the edge. If so Walmart gets my online business next. Lol.
We don't have Walmart here, so I'll just have to remain a perfectly-behaved Amazon UK customer
12-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I know of you in these forums, Brad, I seriously doubt if you're on Amazon's radar
Agreed.
12-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
You are completely correct. Unfortunately since pentax has shrunken so much in the market there is no longer any stores in my are that carry their stuff so I cant just go and look at a lens and see if its right for me.
There's always

Lensrentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

12-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In my opinion, Amazon is among the best when it comes to handling returns. The process is streamlined and generally fully automated, except in exceptional circumstances. For most of my returns I don't even need to go anywhere, just leave the box outside and UPS will pick it up (or, if you don't feel like repackaging the item, it can be dropped off in person at a UPS store).

I would recommend avoiding third-party sellers, however, except when orders are fulfilled by Amazon. If they are not, then you will have to deal with the individual seller who (unlike Amazon) may care more about the lost revenue than your satisfaction, and/or could impose additional fees. Most returns on Amazon are free when the item is defective, and some are free even if not. Such listings are labeled "free returns".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2021, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In my opinion, Amazon is among the best when it comes to handling returns. The process is streamlined and generally fully automated, except in exceptional circumstances. For most of my returns I don't even need to go anywhere, just leave the box outside and UPS will pick it up (or, if you don't feel like repackaging the item, it can be dropped off in person at a UPS store).

I would recommend avoiding third-party sellers, however, except when orders are fulfilled by Amazon. If they are not, then you will have to deal with the individual seller who (unlike Amazon) may care more about the lost revenue than your satisfaction, and/or could impose additional fees. Most returns on Amazon are free when the item is defective, and some are free even if not. Such listings are labeled "free returns".
Last year I bought an item from Amazon only for them to drop the price within a couple of weeks by around 20%. I contacted them to see if they would be willing to just refund the difference as John Lewis in the UK do if you find the same item cheaper within a certain time. Obviously giving that type of refund is outside their procedures but they were quite happy for me to return my item and buy it again at the lower price. I am sure it would have been less costly for them to just refund the difference.
Whatever people think of Amazon their service is very good.

12-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We buy a lot from Amazon, and they are a very good company to deal with, but if you buy just to try and return, you're raising everyone's prices. The only photography purchase I ever had to return was a KP with a defective autofocus, that was with Adorama and they sent the replacement right out. BigMack Cam offers some great advice on researching what you buy.
12-09-2021, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

You're very welcome

I'm in the same boat as you... there are no Pentax retailers near me. Still, I work on the basis that if I order something, it matches the product description and specification, is of decent quality and arrives in undamaged, fully-working, new-in-box condition, it's my problem if I subsequently decide "I don't like it". If I were to return it instead, I'd feel I was passing the cost of re-stocking and selling an open-box product on to the retailer (which doesn't seem fair) and, ultimately, to other customers through pricing.

I don't mean to preach Do what you feel is right, but do please consider the consequences if you return something that's perfectly good simply because it doesn't suit you...
I 100% agree with you Mike. I do my proper research before a purchase, and barring a flawed product it's mine, and not to be treated as a rental. If I don't like it I can always resell it.

My daughter on the other hand has no qualms at all with using something for a week or several, then boxing it up and returning it. To me it's unethical.

Thank goodness she doesn't follow me on PF
12-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #27

Amazon tracks your returns. If some sort of pattern emerges and sets off red flags they'll make life miserable for you like charging restocking fees and other restrictions. Many vendors like Target do the same.
12-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Thank you Adam! That is very helpful!
12-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #29

Also something to consider when returning stuff Amazon. Where does it end up?

There are a whole slew of videos like this that tell the same story.

Or look at some of the "bought a mystery/return box from Amazon" videos.
12-10-2021, 04:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Buying from Amazon means supporting their way of doing business......Buyers are short time winners but long time losers....
Support smaller companies, or if possible local business....
Suppliers lose. Small businesses lose. Workers are exploited and are micromanaged by algorithms. Coming soon to a workplace near you.