Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2021, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #31
dlhawes

My suggestion would be to do all the research first, then rent a few of the lenses that come out on top of your wish-list. You only have a right to return any product because it's defective, unmerchantable, or not fit for the ordinary purpose for which it is intended, in the U.S., all other returns are dependant on the grace and good will of the seller. (Unless, of course, they've made some positive statement amounting to a promise of convenient returns for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all.)

That said, I know a lot of folks of the feminine persuasion routinely buy clothing (and especially shoes) online with the clear intention of returning them - Zappos' made its business doing precisely that prior to assumption into the Amazon dimension. Something like highly technical expensive equipment like lenses is a whole 'nother story, though; when the seller gets it back, they can no longer sell it as "new", which means they lost more than the profit they'd have gained from selling to you, they have to sell it to someone else at a reduced price. (Reselling a returned item as though new is unlawful, though some do it.)

My personal feeling is that buying things with the intention of returning them other than because of a defect is fraud. The intent in such cases is not to make a purchase, but to try out the product at someone else's expense; but the purchase and sale of the product amounts to a representation of fact that it is intended to be a serious purchase, not a "try it and see", and that amounts to a false representation. Or in my terms, a lie amounting to theft. And, as I said, that's all off when the seller has warranted the purchaser the right to return stuff no questions asked for no good reason. It's clearly ok to take them up on that offer, it's only when the act is deceptive that it bothers me.

Last edited by dlhawes; 12-10-2021 at 05:59 AM.
12-10-2021, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have bought a couple of new lenses through Amazon and not experienced any issues. My go-to supplier for most of my new camera gear has always been B&H. However, my last purchase of an Irix 150mm macro lens through B&H had issues. The new lens came without the hood. The box was definitely factory sealed, so Irix had a packaging QC issue. The problem is that the only options B&H initially gave me were to return the entire lens or they would send me a third party hood. I had tested the lens and it was in great condition, so I didn't want to return it. After about four or five phone calls and escalating it to a higher-up at B&H, they finally got Irix to direct ship me a hood. I was actually doing them a favor so they wouldn't end up with an open-box item.
12-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I have bought a couple of new lenses through Amazon and not experienced any issues. My go-to supplier for most of my new camera gear has always been B&H. However, my last purchase of an Irix 150mm macro lens through B&H had issues. The new lens came without the hood. The box was definitely factory sealed, so Irix had a packaging QC issue. The problem is that the only options B&H initially gave me were to return the entire lens or they would send me a third party hood. I had tested the lens and it was in great condition, so I didn't want to return it. After about four or five phone calls and escalating it to a higher-up at B&H, they finally got Irix to direct ship me a hood. I was actually doing them a favor so they wouldn't end up with an open-box item.
Labor isn’t free. While I likely would have done the same exact thing I don’t think ultimately they saved money over you returning the lens and getting a replacement with hood. The special handling needed to resolve it likely are up any difference in profit. Mind you, if they had been smart they would have done what you wanted to begin with and not wasted your time and theirs and they would have saved money.
12-10-2021, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I returned one lens, no problem at all.