Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2021, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
Flat for me. I shoot raw and I believe the histogram and blinkies are most representative of the raw image using flat. Occasionally if I know I want a particular look, I will change the mode and use On1's "AI Match" mode to match the jpeg look and start my editing based on that.

12-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Mine is Natural and shoot Raw.
12-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I put mine on mono when I am shooting for mono, so i can check for contrasts, but my default is bright
12-10-2021, 02:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So in the Ricoh site it’s said that the bright profile is preferred by the majority of Pentax users.... it’s a sign of the brand’s color approach you think?? It seems a little too vivid to me...

12-10-2021, 02:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
So in the Ricoh site it’s said that the bright profile is preferred by the majority of Pentax users.... it’s a sign of the brand’s color approach you think?? It seems a little too vivid to me...
Two reasons for the "Bright" profile's popularity could be that a), for long-term users like myself, it's similar to what we're used to since before we had an in-camera choice, and b), if comparing DSLR's in a shop, (when we had that luxury!), the demo cameras we're likely to at their default settings, and a choice may be based on the picture(s) taken at the at time.
Of course, a third option may well be that the majority of Pentax users don't know anything about "Custom Image", leave the camera on "Auto" or "Green" and snap away with default everything
12-10-2021, 03:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Bright. Can't say it's the favourite because it was the default and I've never tried to change it. Maybe it's the wrong way of looking at it. If I set up my jpgs properly I'd spend much less time on PP my RAW files.
12-10-2021, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot RAW, but use the natural setting. The important thing is simply that you have something that you are familiar with that gives you an idea if everything is in focus and that highlights aren't blown and your exposure is on point. You can probably do that with most of the jpeg settings but some are a little harder for me to tell due to their higher saturation/vibrance levels. Combined with the histogram, I have a very good feel for where I am starting at with the Natural Jpeg setting.

12-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Same here. I sometimes switch to "Natural" when it comes to high-contrast scenes, sometimes with flash use, and if skin tones in people shots are looking too rosy. But this doesn't happen as often with my KP. For whatever reason, colors pop but seem to never look unnatural. With the KP, its PRIME IV processor is so good on its own, a long while has gone by since I fooled around with RAW processing. I am not fond of paying for a subscription and updates for editing software, so I've just used what is provided with the camera.
While I can certainly understand the desire to shoot JPEG, I'd have to say the subscription model is not the only one... I've been very happy with RawTherapee which is free and right now, doesn't update very often... there's a major update coming up but it's been almost 2 years since the last one. The UI is a bit intimidating at first but after getting used to it, one can get around very easily.
12-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Bleach bypass. I know I shouldn't but I do..!
12-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Bleach bypass. I know I shouldn't but I do..!
You must have a jaundiced view of the world!
12-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You must have a jaundiced view of the world!
Ha ha! Good one - I'm indeed jaundiced but not always! I do use it for when I want a certain look - muted, and the blues are nice too. I always shoot Raw+ so have the best of both. I generally PP in Lightroom but there are times...
12-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The setting is Muted, Contrast +2, Saturation +2, High/Low Key at 0, Fine Sharpness at +1 or 0, don't remember.
I was about to say that I thought that each profile was just a certain combination of those other settings, but then I remembered the hexagonal (?) diagrams (?) that show how much each colour is accentuated or subdued. But I still think it should be possible to get two profiles to match each other by setting the other settings different IF the hexagonal thing is shaped the same?

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
Flat for me. I shoot raw and I believe the histogram and blinkies are most representative of the raw image using flat. Occasionally if I know I want a particular look, I will change the mode and use On1's "AI Match" mode to match the jpeg look and start my editing based on that.
Interesting point. I have set my cameras to Bright and I remember trying to capture a bright yellow flower and even with underexposing the picture a lot it looked dull and flat on the rear screen and I thought I had blown out all the colour, but when looking at the pictures on my computer screen they were quite fine, so in the end it was the camera's screen that wasn't up to the task of displaying the bright yellow truthfully. But I think I had also set its brightness to quite high so I could see in the sun, so that might have contributed to the unfaithful expression.

The reason I have set my cameras to Bright, except for it being the default? Pentaxforums.com camera reviews recommending the setting with a little tweak

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Bright. Can't say it's the favourite because it was the default and I've never tried to change it. Maybe it's the wrong way of looking at it. If I set up my jpgs properly I'd spend much less time on PP my RAW files.
If I really like the way the preview looks I will spend hours okay perhaps not hours but at least some minutes and a few conversion processes trying to match the jpg rendering to the best of my ability while at the same time taking advantage of DxO's capabilites, especially the lens profiles for sharpness and the denoising magic.
12-10-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
Flat for me. I shoot raw and I believe the histogram and blinkies are most representative of the raw image using flat.
There was a discussion about this recently: JPEG style closest to RAW - PentaxForums.com As has been mentioned, when shooting RAW only (as I do too) the image displayed on the LCD, and the histogram for the image, are still based on the selected jpg profile. The point of using the Flat profile is that it doesn't show highlights as blown when they are not, as profiles like Bright or even Natural may do.

Some Rawtherapee users also said that they used a Flat profile because the program attempts to match the jpeg embedded in the raw file, and Flat makes a better starting point.

Last edited by Des; 12-10-2021 at 04:06 PM.
12-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use DNG and Darktable. The last releases have added a lot of great features and there are more and more folks demonstrating the use. I highly recommend
12-10-2021, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree. I find that the colors just arent how I like them