Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10 set at 6MP... will it have a faster frame rate?

Hi everyone

I have been looking for this info and can't find it.
wondering if anyone has any idea if the frames per second goes up at 6MP compared 10MP
I tried with my camera and it is hard to tell.

just wondering mostly out of curiousity and possible future uses

thanks

randy

03-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Hi everyone

wondering if anyone has any idea if the frames per second goes up at 6MP compared 10MP

thanks

randy
Hi Randy, I don't have the K10D but I would imagine it would be a bit faster. But how much faster than 3 fps do you want? You could always measure it by putting the camera on continuous shoot, and time how long it takes to fill a 256MG card in each resolution. Make sure your battery is fully charged though.

NaCl(maybe 4.5 fps? )H2O
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi everyone

thanks

randy
No - its still reading 10MP off the sensor into the image buffer and performing the same processing, only with an extra step to downsize the final image to save space on the card.
It may be very slightly faster if you had a slow SD card and card writes were the slowest part of the process, but with a fast card a 10MP image can be written faster than the buffer is filled, hence the unlimited JPEG burst performance.
This is why Nikon has 4 read out channels on the sensor and an even larger buffer - its usually the slowest part of the process.
03-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you NaClH2O and *isteve

steve that makes total sense to me!

NaCIH2O... 3 fps sounds like a lot, but when you are trying to capture a cheerleading jumping in the air and that all happens in a fraction of a second there are still some hit and miss involved in getting them in the air at the highest distance

cheers and thanks again to both of you for the insite

randy

03-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery

NaCIH2O... 3 fps sounds like a lot, but when you are trying to capture a cheerleading jumping in the air and that all happens in a fraction of a second there are still some hit and miss involved in getting them in the air at the highest distance

randy
I'm of the mind that trying to use burst shooting isn't exactly the best method for what you are trying to achieve here anyway. If you're trying to capture the pinnacle of of a cyclical motion.. such as grabbing the shot of someone at the peak of their jump.. that's a job for anticipation, not burst shot. I can almost guarantee that I'd be able to get that pinnacle 4 or 5 times out of 10 with a bit of anticipation and single shot.. and maybe only 1 or 2 times out of 10 with burst.

That's just me though. I'd much rather rely on my own instincts in such a situation
03-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

3 fps sounds like a lot, but when you are trying to capture a cheerleading jumping in the air and that all happens in a fraction of a second there are still some hit and miss involved in getting them in the air at the highest distance

randy
Practice helps. You should try being trackside at a formula 1 race and panning.
5 fps is not much more use than 3 fps - sports shooters generally rely on cameras with 8fps or faster. CMOS is the only solution in this case (every photosite can be read at the same time, so read out rates are a lot higher - all you need is a big buffer).

With the Pentax, I would forget about continuous shooting - set focus manually (to remove AF delays) and exposure too (to remove reframing issues) and just practice your timing. Shutter delay on the K10D is short enough.
03-13-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Go a Canon 1D MkIII. 10fps.

I think the speed is simply a limitation of how fast the shutter can move?

03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
I think the speed is simply a limitation of how fast the shutter can move?
No. 1/180th of a second equates to what frame rate? (Think about it...) It isn't the shutter speed that is the problem.
03-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

NaCIH2O... 3 fps sounds like a lot, but when you are trying to capture a cheerleading jumping in the air and that all happens in a fraction of a second
I agree with the other guys on this one - practice is the best way you'll get the exact shot you want in this situation..

even for an 8fps camera, (let's just assume 1/100 of a second shutter speed for argument's sake) you'll still actually miss 92% of the second of action.

just my .02. =)
-Dan
03-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great "eye opening" answers and suggestions, everyone!

thanks a lot.... hoping to get a manual SMC soon to practice.

cheers

randy
03-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #11

I have a similar problem Randy

3 fps sounds like a lot, but when you are trying to capture a cheerleading jumping in the air and that all happens in a fraction of a second there are still some hit and miss involved in getting them in the air at the highest distance

randy
I know what you mean Randy, but you could try a video camera at 32fps?? And edit out the shots later<Grin>

My problem with shooting cheerleaders jumping in the air is that I refuse to take my eyes off them to take pictures with a camera.. usually the 3fps are shots of my feet, or my wife slapping me... chuckle!!

Phil
03-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egarrard Quote
No. 1/180th of a second equates to what frame rate? (Think about it...) It isn't the shutter speed that is the problem.
No, I meant how long it needs to fire again.
03-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

randy
Sorry Randy, I obviously don't know much about sports/action shooting, I never even thought of trying to capture a cheerleader's leap. That's why I stick to flowers, they don't move around much.

NaCl(just right for a lazy photog like me )H2O
06-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
No, I meant how long it needs to fire again.
I think the mirror up/down cycle time is what dictates the FPS in the K10D. Either that, or the buffer?
06-28-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No, it's definitely mechanical reasons, otherwise the designers would've said 5fps for a finite time rather than 3fps unlimited.