Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2021, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1

Interested in Pentax for Astro Photography

Hi! I been lurking these forums as I been curious about pentax/ricoh astrophotography mode and various other cool features to replace my sony mirrorless.

While my only experience with weather resistant or proof cameras is my fuji xp-140 that is more of a toy but fun and while it has been underwater, on heavy rain and thrown into the floor all it needs is something to get stuck between the gasket for the waterproofing to vanish without noticing, take care of your cameras!!

12-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by celexi Quote
astrophotography
welcome to the forums!
sounds like you're in the right place for an astro/water resistant camera!
got a video for you here:
12-15-2021, 02:42 PM - 7 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the best features of modern pentax cameras for astro shooting is astrotracer. This feature allows for limited sky tracking by the sensor in the camera. I use it a lot and with a rather large 400mm lens. Once you get a feel for it and have things sorted out (it takes practice to really get it working well) it is possiable to create some very nice images of deep sky objects. Here is a sample of things I've photographed using the astrotracer feature on my Pentax cameras:

The Great Orion Nebula (M42):

The Pleiades (M45, the Seven Sisters, or if you are in Japan Subaru):

The Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

All of those were captured in bortle 5 skies in the core 7 county Twin Cities metro area (Minneapolis/St. Paul MN)

Even without astrotracer I find even my old Pentax cameras (I only just got something with a newer sensor than my K-3 yesterday) can produce great night shots:

The camera used for all those shots was either my K-3 or K-3ii and those both use the same sensor and the K-3 is 8+ years old.
12-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your photography whatever you shoot. Greetings from Greece!

12-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, I haven't done Astro, but there are some people here who do amazing work (see above)
12-16-2021, 12:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome pictures MossyRocks!
I guess the deep sky pictures were created by stacking? Which software did you use and home many pictures?

I'am asking as I started astrophotography last winter but hadn't had any satisfying results yet. So I plan to do at least the pleiades and part of orion this winter.
12-16-2021, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This channel has a ton of info for astro shooting with a DSLR and various editing programs. He doesn't use Pentax, but loads of valuable info to get you started.

https://youtube.com/c/NebulaPhotos

12-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I guess the deep sky pictures were created by stacking? Which software did you use and home many pictures?I'am asking as I started astrophotography last winter but hadn't had any satisfying results yet. So I plan to do at least the pleiades and part of orion this winter.
For the deep sky objects I did stack but to get results like those one has to. The total exposure time of those shots ranges from about an hour and a half (the Pleiades shot) to a bit under 9 hours (the Great Orion Nebula, M42 shot). Each image that was included in the stacks for the DSOs was 20s in length and used astrotracer with my K-3 for tracking. The ultrawide shot with the old barn and Milky way was also stacked with each shot in the stack being 13s and those shots were untracked.

For stacking of DSOs I use Astro Pixel Processor (APP) but before making that jump had good success with Deep Sky Stacker (DSS). APP does a much better job but costs actual money while DSS is pretty good for a free program. For the wide stuff where I want to both stack the foreground and background and have them be frozen I use Sequator.
12-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
For the deep sky objects I did stack but to get results like those one has to. The total exposure time of those shots ranges from about an hour and a half (the Pleiades shot) to a bit under 9 hours (the Great Orion Nebula, M42 shot). Each image that was included in the stacks for the DSOs was 20s in length and used astrotracer with my K-3 for tracking. The ultrawide shot with the old barn and Milky way was also stacked with each shot in the stack being 13s and those shots were untracked.

For stacking of DSOs I use Astro Pixel Processor (APP) but before making that jump had good success with Deep Sky Stacker (DSS). APP does a much better job but costs actual money while DSS is pretty good for a free program. For the wide stuff where I want to both stack the foreground and background and have them be frozen I use Sequator.
Thank you so much! This is very helpfull information!
12-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by celexi Quote
Hi! I been lurking these forums as I been curious about pentax/ricoh astrophotography mode and various other cool features to replace my sony mirrorless.

While my only experience with weather resistant or proof cameras is my fuji xp-140 that is more of a toy but fun and while it has been underwater, on heavy rain and thrown into the floor all it needs is something to get stuck between the gasket for the waterproofing to vanish without noticing, take care of your cameras!!
Welcome on the forums. I can't hold a candle to MossyRocks' excellent work, but Pentax has served me well, both for normal and astrophotography. The WR is excellent. I have no problems using my camera in wet circumstances in Norway, Scotland and Wales and that has allowed me to capture some magical moments. The WR is also very nice when doing astrophotograhy as there will be dew and - at times - ice involved. The astrotracer feature is amazing when you get it to work, but that can be tricky. The new K3iii apparently has improved this very much in that the much-dreaded calibration is no longer required. Fele free to stop by in the astrophotography group. To be honest, the downside to using Pentax is that some of the astrophotography software doesn't fully support Pentax (no such thing as BackyardEos for example), that being said, there is a thread in the astro group about Pentax now also being supported in Stellarmate. This, however, is only relevant if your're using an equatorial mount with some degree of automation. On youtube check out Cuiv the lazy geek; he also shoots with Pentax and does some amazing stuff from Japan (I believe).

Good luck making up your mind!
12-16-2021, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

#1 below is an example of the astrotracer and a single exposure (no stacking) on a Pentax K-1. 1 minute exposure with a 100mm lens.

#2 is wide angle and didn't use the astrotracer, in order to keep the trees sharp.

Other than the astrotracer, IMO Sony can be just as good as Pentax for astro. An alternative to changing systems is buying a mechanical star tracker to use with your current Sony system. You didn't say what model of Sony you have, and how much of an investment in lenses.

12-17-2021, 08:41 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

astrophotography | Flickr

You can see some of my astrowork in this gallery. Some are with the astrotracer, some with stacking techniques, others are single shot.

12-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
One of the best features of modern pentax cameras for astro shooting is astrotracer. This feature allows for limited sky tracking by the sensor in the camera. I use it a lot and with a rather large 400mm lens. Once you get a feel for it and have things sorted out (it takes practice to really get it working well) it is possiable to create some very nice images of deep sky objects. Here is a sample of things I've photographed using the astrotracer feature on my Pentax cameras:

The Great Orion Nebula (M42):

The Pleiades (M45, the Seven Sisters, or if you are in Japan Subaru):

The Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

All of those were captured in bortle 5 skies in the core 7 county Twin Cities metro area (Minneapolis/St. Paul MN)

Even without astrotracer I find even my old Pentax cameras (I only just got something with a newer sensor than my K-3 yesterday) can produce great night shots:

The camera used for all those shots was either my K-3 or K-3ii and those both use the same sensor and the K-3 is 8+ years old.
Very nice shots! I was surprised to see you took them in the Twin Cities. I live in Eden Prairie. I would love to learn more about the how and where you took these great shots. Thank you!
12-18-2021, 12:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
astrophotography | Flickr

You can see some of my astrowork in this gallery. Some are with the astrotracer, some with stacking techniques, others are single shot.
That's a nice collection you have there.
12-18-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
welcome to the forums!
sounds like you're in the right place for an astro/water resistant camera!
got a video for you here:
https://youtu.be/MiOYhwP1IRk
Thank you for this video!