Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you have not entered, care to say why?
At the time when it started it would have marginally improved my astrophotography having a new better sensor than my K-3 and K-3ii however I felt that it would have been a very marginal improvement and that others would benefit more from getting a better camera. However I very recently got a K-3iii (arrived Tuesday night) and for astro shooting it really will improve things with its better dynamic range, lower noise, and yes even ever so slightly higher pixel density. So while a K-70 is slightly better than the K-3 and K-3ii it is much worse than a K-3iii.

12-18-2021, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it was my suggestion when Adam asked about how to give the K 70 away also I have a K1, KP plus 2 K5s and I need to control my GAS, but the only REAL way to improve my photography is by improving the six inches behind the OVF🤪
12-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K70 with a K50 backup. Have no need for another. Don't want to lessen the chances for someone else to win that needs it more than me.
12-19-2021, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm still in two minds about whether or not to enter the contest. I'm a firm believer that no piece of gear can ever improve anyone's photography, so the requirement to post a statement that winning a K-70 would do something that I don't think it would do is an ethical dilemma. Yes, it would be interesting to have a K-70, and I suppose it would be useful in high ISO situations, but I'm not sure that's really enough of a justification for me to enter.

Meanwhile, it appears that some people have been entering the contest with photos taken by a K-1 or a K-3ii, which tends to make my teeth grind when my own current top-of-the-range camera is a secondhand K-m. And no doubt the winner will be someone who could easily afford to buy a K-70 if he really wanted one. Such is life.

12-19-2021, 03:11 AM - 6 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm still in two minds about whether or not to enter the contest. I'm a firm believer that no piece of gear can ever improve anyone's photography, so the requirement to post a statement that winning a K-70 would do something that I don't think it would do is an ethical dilemma. Yes, it would be interesting to have a K-70, and I suppose it would be useful in high ISO situations, but I'm not sure that's really enough of a justification for me to enter.

Meanwhile, it appears that some people have been entering the contest with photos taken by a K-1 or a K-3ii, which tends to make my teeth grind when my own current top-of-the-range camera is a secondhand K-m. And no doubt the winner will be someone who could easily afford to buy a K-70 if he really wanted one. Such is life.
Though it's none of my business, I think you should enter, David. You're working with older, minimalist kit (nothing wrong with that - you know how much I like the older gear myself) and producing wonderful photos with it. You're an active photographer, and you'd put any camera to great use - which makes you a valid and worthy entrant, IMHO...
12-19-2021, 04:34 AM - 5 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Though it's none of my business, I think you should enter, David. You're working with older, minimalist kit (nothing wrong with that - you know how much I like the older gear myself) and producing wonderful photos with it. You're an active photographer, and you'd put any camera to great use - which makes you a valid and worthy entrant, IMHO...

I always value your opinion, Mike, and you're welcome to make it your business to offer advice any time. If someone of your absolute integrity thinks I could legitimately enter, then that's good enough for me.
12-19-2021, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If someone of your absolute integrity thinks I could legitimately enter, then that's good enough for me.
You can't win if you don't play. Fortune favors the bold!

12-19-2021, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-S2 has an articulating screen, I think it's exactly the same as the K-70. And while I could probably benefit from the accelerator for my kids sports, I don't have a problem cleaning up ISO 3200 files from my K-S1 and K-S2.
The K-S2 is a great little camera, one that I thoroughly enjoyed using. Never any regrets. In fact at one point I had three, giving one to my son and keeping the others for myself (with Katzeye screens ). I've always carried two cameras whenever out nature/landscape shooting, and one always had the DFA100 on it.

IMO the K-70's even better low light performance has improved things on the image side, tho the K-S2 is no slouch. I eventually replaced all my K-S's with K-70's which I've found to be worth the small difference in price after selling the older cameras.

We had a discussion here a few years ago about the worth of moving to the K-70 from the K-S2.
K-S2 vs K70 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by gatorguy; 12-19-2021 at 08:04 AM.
12-19-2021, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not entered because I have a K-1ii and I think a dedicated APS-C user should have it.

That said, my ageing K-50 could fail properly sometime and I will get a K-70 to replace it.

The K-70's 24MP sensor will be a marked improvement over the 16MP one with AA filter and any lens you put on the K-70 will be better IMO. The mid range bodies are also handy to tote around and have nice colours.

Besides that I don't have enough time right now for dedicated photography or even for the D FA 21 competition, that will change in the new year though.

I'm still in two minds about whether or not to enter the contest
Dave, please do enter the competition, you have no good reason not to.
12-19-2021, 06:49 AM - 3 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Already have a K-70 as a backup to my KP. So I'm out. I'm not greedy! (Well there's some lenses out there...STOP...get thee behind me Satan.)
12-19-2021, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always value your opinion, Mike, and you're welcome to make it your business to offer advice any time. If someone of your absolute integrity thinks I could legitimately enter, then that's good enough for me.
I’m also in the camp that thinks you should enter. You correctly identified that most of us aren’t going to improve our photography with gear; but some gear expands the types of photos you can get to work well. The improved low light performance and increased resolution available from the k-70 should open some additional creative options for you. Taking advantage of those new opportunities will require effort and only you can determine if there are areas in photography that this will make easier (enabling you to do more) or open areas that were impractical before.
12-19-2021, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photography is mostly not about gear. But, I like mine , when low light is offering gorgeous saturated colors and beautiful atmosphere. I just came home from a photo walk in the rainy weather• holding the K-70 with my gloves in one hand was perfectly fine due to the grip. The camera is great. Improving one’s photography skills is not a matter of camera comparison.
12-19-2021, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, I believe that you could take better pictures with a pin-hole camera made from a paper bag than I can with any of my cameras. That being said, it might be a tad easier with the K-70 and allow you to achieve these results over a wider range of lighting conditions! While I understand your view (no pun intended!), if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to enter this contest.

As for me, I have a K-10D and have been using a K-3II, and I just had a K-3III delivered this past Tuesday (ordered primarily for its improved auto-focusing and low light performance, which might be useful for taking pictures of my 6-week old grandson without startling him with a flash) which I now must learn to use effectively. While I think it's usually nice to win something, I don't think a K-70 would get enough use from me to justify entering this contest.
12-19-2021, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still in two minds about whether or not to enter the contest. I'm a firm believer that no piece of gear can ever improve anyone's photography, ...it would be interesting to have a K-70, and I suppose it would be useful in high ISO situations, but I'm not sure that's really enough of a justification for me to enter.
I'm in the camp that says you qualify. Nothing wrong with shooting with a K-m, but a couple of things on that K-70 could be really handy for you. It has the articulating screen, really handy when shooting on a tripod. Of course the benefit of that screen is the live view, it has come a long way since the K-m. With that live view comes focus peaking and magnification. I have the KP and not the K-70, but very similar in this regard. Before the KP I had a hard time focusing manual lenses, now I can and prefer to manually focus on a tripod. The better viewfinders even make it possible to use manual lenses through the viewfinder, though not as good as with liveview on a tripod. And the flip screen of the KP allows me to take a lot of low level shots using a tripod, something I like to do, but I don't have the best knees and getting down and then back up can sometimes be hard, hard enough that prior to the KP I passed a lot of those opportunities up. Of course those are just me. Yesterday I was able to catch a photo of a marsh rabbit swimming right beside me, the only reason was the 55-300 PLM lens focuses extremely fast. That lens won't work with the K-m. Maybe you don't want a 55-300 lens, that's not my point. Even though the gear won't make you a better photographer, but you can make the gear work for you, and maybe get some opportunities you may not have had.

I think you should enter, and it would be great to see you win.
12-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot with the K-1, so the only reason I might use a K-70 would be as a separate video camera. It would not enhance my photography, though. I have been submitting to the 21mm contest, but I'm not a really chatty person so my entries will pale in comparison to many, if not most. It would be nice to see a giveaway where people who aren't as talkative have an equal chance to win as the wordier amongst us.