Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Underwater photography?

Im really interested in underwater photography and was wondering if anyone here takes part in this? If so please feel free to share what gear you use, any tips, tricks, and of course any of you work! I would love to take a look and hear more!

12-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Underwater can mean a lot of different things. If you are wanting to do a lot of heavy duty stuff you will need to buy a camera housing and the good ones ain't cheap.

Also depending on what you are doing (ie surf vs scuba) you might need a lighting setup.

When you really get into the nuances of things it will determine what gear you need.
12-19-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Underwater can mean a lot of different things. If you are wanting to do a lot of heavy duty stuff you will need to buy a camera housing and the good ones ain't cheap.

Also depending on what you are doing (ie surf vs scuba) you might need a lighting setup.

When you really get into the nuances of things it will determine what gear you need.
Yeah I already ran into the housing dilemma. On top of that they really don’t make many for Pentax cameras if at all any more. I currently have a go pro that I could use and an iPhone. I’ve found plenty dome underwater housings for both but then again this is unexplored territory for me so even tips on how to start out would be great!
12-20-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My only experience with underwater photography is with an Olympus TG-4 point and shoot, bought used for €120.
That's nice and fun for 'casual underwater', such as kayaking, beach activities etc. Probably not fit for diving, and the image quality of course cannot compare to that from a DSLR...
As you already have a GoPro, I'd suggest experimenting with that first without buying any additional gear (it is waterproof isn't it?); then see where you are limited and what more do you need

12-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I second the suggestion of using the GoPro for starters and add gear after you decide if this is something you'd want to further explore.

I attended a talk about underwater photography two years ago, the keynote was that action cams are a good starting point to try underwater photography before you sink a lot of money in it; good lights are equaly important as the camera and housing are.
When you want to begin with a DSLR though, the cheapest way is to buy a used housing and the fitting camera (whichever camera brand you find) and not necessarily buy a housing for the camera you own.
Also keep in mind, that a single grain of sand, stuck in the wrong position of the seal, can literally sink your camera.
12-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I second the suggestion of using the GoPro for starters and add gear after you decide if this is something you'd want to further explore.

I attended a talk about underwater photography two years ago, the keynote was that action cams are a good starting point to try underwater photography before you sink a lot of money in it; good lights are equaly important as the camera and housing are.
When you want to begin with a DSLR though, the cheapest way is to buy a used housing and the fitting camera (whichever camera brand you find) and not necessarily buy a housing for the camera you own.
Also keep in mind, that a single grain of sand, stuck in the wrong position of the seal, can literally sink your camera.
thank you! Did they by any change talk about how to get the best quality image? Like good techniques or what to use?
12-21-2021, 02:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
thank you! Did they by any change talk about how to get the best quality image? Like good techniques or what to use?
The main part was about underwater photography when diving. The light intensity decreases very quickly in water, so good light is key when you leave shallow water. The housing should offer some kind of support arms to attach lights to (on both sides) and usually the closer you can get to your subject, the better.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the lenses are usually wide angle lenses (as you try to get as close as possible)

12-21-2021, 02:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I happen to live close by a firm that produces housings (there is a second one, but I cant remember the name): Subal Online Shop - housing and accessories for underwater photography and videography.

Probably not for you, just to investigate what is been offered in this sector.
As you can see does usually every single camera have its own housing, as the buttons and dials get slightly changed for every model
12-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I happen to live close by a firm that produces housings (there is a second one, but I cant remember the name): Subal Online Shop - housing and accessories for underwater photography and videography.

Probably not for you, just to investigate what is been offered in this sector.
As you can see does usually every single camera have its own housing, as the buttons and dials get slightly changed for every model
I definitely take a look! Once again its a shame there aren’t housing for the K1 Sometimes the sheer amount of 3rd party accessories is what makes me want to buy Sony/Nikon/canon but once I fold them in my hand and feel how plasticy and filmsy they are the feeling passes haha