Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #61
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 793
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
It is still in stock and available at many outlets in the UK ...
It is listed as discontinued on Pentax Japan website. Maybe UK dealers bought more than the American dealers and still have stock, but B&H and Adorama in the states both do not have it other than occasionally a used body shows up. Right now even if I could find a used body, I would have to buy a grip to use the battery, and that would be close to the same price when they were having a clearance sale. That would be close to 800 to 900 used, and that is more than I am willing to pay for a used body. My K-3 still works, it just has the shutter runaway problem so I can't use it for timelapses because the firmware resets the camera to stop the runaway. I was looking at a body to replace but never jumped on the KP when it was being clearanced out.

01-06-2022, 05:39 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Pentaxian
Jeff's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Berkshire, England
Posts: 837
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
It is listed as discontinued on Pentax Japan website. Maybe UK dealers bought more than the American dealers and still have stock, but B&H and Adorama in the states both do not have it other than occasionally a used body shows up. Right now even if I could find a used body, I would have to buy a grip to use the battery, and that would be close to the same price when they were having a clearance sale. That would be close to 800 to 900 used, and that is more than I am willing to pay for a used body. My K-3 still works, it just has the shutter runaway problem so I can't use it for timelapses because the firmware resets the camera to stop the runaway. I was looking at a body to replace but never jumped on the KP when it was being clearanced out.
I'm expecting a silver KP tomorrow, which I found for £499, with 700 odd clicks on it. It was in the 'Discontinued' section at Park cameras. I'm curious to see how it is...hopefully in good condition. It may turn out to be a good deal.
01-06-2022, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 406
I use this exact setup pretty much every time I go out. A bit different from most, since I'm a timelapse photographer, but here goes.

The KP shoots the timelapses
K-1 shoots ultra-high res stills, and keeps the freedom of using filters, adjusting composition, and shooting other totally different photos while the KP ticks away on interval.

The benefits are immense. Using a crop + FF camera, even shooting the exact same view, means I'm not sacrificing one lens for another. The 1.5 crop means I don't have to carry duplicate primes for both cameras.
Using the KP for timelapse keeps the storage demand much less than if I shot in FF. Happier hard drives, but still plenty of room to crop in post and keep the footage in 4k.
The KP is really portable.

Sure, the battery incompatibility is a drag. I'll get over it. Both cameras are so wildly good.

It used to be my KP was considered a backup to the K-1. Now the KP has a backup KP that I keep on the shelf (for when the shutter dies). And the K-1 has a backup K-1ii, just in case.

If I'm just doing general street-walking, I'll bring the KP plus the array of pancake lenses. Thrilled to have a high-quality, lightweight option when I don't need the best of the best.

Highly, highly, highly recommended.
01-07-2022, 08:25 AM   #64
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 793
QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I use this exact setup pretty much every time I go out. A bit different from most, since I'm a timelapse photographer, but here goes.

The KP shoots the timelapses
K-1 shoots ultra-high res stills, and keeps the freedom of using filters, adjusting composition, and shooting other totally different photos while the KP ticks away on interval.

The benefits are immense. Using a crop + FF camera, even shooting the exact same view, means I'm not sacrificing one lens for another. The 1.5 crop means I don't have to carry duplicate primes for both cameras.
Using the KP for timelapse keeps the storage demand much less than if I shot in FF. Happier hard drives, but still plenty of room to crop in post and keep the footage in 4k.
The KP is really portable.

Sure, the battery incompatibility is a drag. I'll get over it. Both cameras are so wildly good.

It used to be my KP was considered a backup to the K-1. Now the KP has a backup KP that I keep on the shelf (for when the shutter dies). And the K-1 has a backup K-1ii, just in case.

If I'm just doing general street-walking, I'll bring the KP plus the array of pancake lenses. Thrilled to have a high-quality, lightweight option when I don't need the best of the best.

Highly, highly, highly recommended.
This is what I was using my K-3 for until the runaway shutter issue. It was just so nice to have a body I could just set for timelapses while I was shooting stills with a K-1.

01-07-2022, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Szárliget
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 398
Hi All,

As I have remembered the original purpose of the KP to have a camera for walk-around or bike tours. In this case the price/performance/(weight+size) ratios may be important...
In case of bike tours the mechanical stability also should be considered, anything may happen ...

Good luck and enjoy the KP...
01-10-2022, 02:49 PM   #66
Pentaxian
Jeff's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Berkshire, England
Posts: 837
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grizzly Quote
Hi All,

As I have remembered the original purpose of the KP to have a camera for walk-around or bike tours. In this case the price/performance/(weight+size) ratios may be important...
In case of bike tours the mechanical stability also should be considered, anything may happen ...

Good luck and enjoy the KP...
Thank you - it arrived today, in silver and essentially new, bar a few hundred exposures.

It cost me £499... I feel like a thief!

I can't see myself parting from it - it is a thing of beauty, and rare too, as they are not making anymore.

I have the 31mm on it now and it balances well. I am looking forward to getting out with it on the weekend.

I feel fortunate indeed.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
antarctica, backup, body, camera, dslr, fantasy, ff, glass, k-1, k-1 and kp, k1, k3iii, kp, lens, lenses, menu, pentax, photography, quality, size, system, times, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black & White Dragonfly Duo DW58 Post Your Photos! 3 11-08-2021 10:40 AM
For Sale - Sold: Intel Core 2 Duo + mobo + RAM - FREE luftfluss Sold Items 4 01-27-2021 07:51 AM
Black & White street power duo ignath Post Your Photos! 4 11-16-2020 04:30 PM
Nature A Duo eaglem Post Your Photos! 10 07-12-2020 06:58 AM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top