Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-1 and KP as a duo?

I'm thinking of adding a KP as a smaller K-1 'lite' to my setup, as a less bulky camera for bike rides and walks. I'd really like to know if anyone uses these two bodies interchangeably and if so, how do you find this in practice?

I'll use the lenses I have and also get another 35 2.8 macro that I really miss, having sold it to my brother for peanuts.

I can get a KP and kit lens (which I'll sell unless someone convinces me otherwise) for £749 new. I'm aware that stocks won't last forever and I like the fact that the menu system is almost the same as the K-1. I have no interest in the K3iii.

Any thoughts will be most welcome!

~ Jeff

12-19-2021, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've always used at least a "brace" of bodies... but always of the same flavour.

For me it provides for instant hand memory... on usage of either body, or maybe it's just an age thing.
12-19-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I'm thinking of adding a KP as a smaller K-1 'lite' to my setup, as a less bulky camera for bike rides and walks. I'd really like to know if anyone uses these two bodies interchangeably and if so, how do you find this in practice?

I'll use the lenses I have and also get another 35 2.8 macro that I really miss, having sold it to my brother for peanuts.

I can get a KP and kit lens (which I'll sell unless someone convinces me otherwise) for £749 new. I'm aware that stocks won't last forever and I like the fact that the menu system is almost the same as the K-1. I have no interest in the K3iii.

~ Jeff
My KP is currently a backup camera and stays at home mostly. I can shoot anything in better quality with my K1 II. Yes, it is a bit bulkier but that little extra energy spent is certainly worth it looking at the beautiful images the K1 produces....
12-19-2021, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

~ Jeff
When I had the KP it was a partner to a K-70, and the two always went to every event. After buying the K1 I sold off the KP (for reasons not pertinent here) and now pair it with the K3III or K-70, most often the former.

I know the advice is often two of at least the same format, FF/FF or APS-C/APS-C for instance, but mixing the two works great for me with mixing lens ranges so as to minimize field changes.

12-19-2021, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I had the same idea, only it was adding a K-1 II to the KP. After almost a month I returned the K-1 II. Contrary to Haenzel's experience results with the KP outperformed those of the K-1 II. I recently bought the SMC version of the 77mm ltd to use on the KP and detail, contrast to mention some were so much better than with the K-1 II. So if you buy that KP the danger can be that you do not like the results of the K-1 that much as before. 😢
12-19-2021, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC, @Sandy_Hancock is happily shooting the K-1/KP duo.
12-19-2021, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I know the advice is often two of at least the same format, FF/FF or APS-C/APS-C for instance
To me that would hold true if one only has Apsc lenses, If one has full frame lenses since those can be used on either format very well then I too agree mixing FF/Apsc works fine.

12-19-2021, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have certainly considered adding a KP or another APSC to my current K1, although I think I've arrived at viewing the K3iii as superior in this fantasy. It's only a fantasy at this point, though, for me.
I have no interest in the K3iii.
I am (non judgmentally) curious as to why this is the case, for you. Price? Flippy screen?
12-19-2021, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just added the KP to my K-1, you will almost surely enjoy having a high performance alternative in a smaller package, and I can pack both into a sling bag when I'm going to an event or location and want to have options with requiring lens changes.

I don't think one will displace the other very much, though I'll admit, as a daily carry, the KP is noticeably lighter, of course.

though I never balked at using older FF lenses on APS-C, it is nice to have option there as well. My FA 24-90 IF-AL is a great fit for my K-1, as is the FA 77mm, but the KP really makes the DA 21mm shine!

Last edited by robgski; 12-19-2021 at 06:09 PM.
12-19-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I had the same idea, only it was adding a K-1 II to the KP. After almost a month I returned the K-1 II. Contrary to Haenzel's experience results with the KP outperformed those of the K-1 II. I recently bought the SMC version of the 77mm ltd to use on the KP and detail, contrast to mention some were so much better than with the K-1 II. So if you buy that KP the danger can be that you do not like the results of the K-1 that much as before. 😢
Perhaps the used lenses are a factor. I mainly use the D-FA 24-70mm and the D-FA 150-450mm. To me dynamic range and auto-focus are better on the K1..Also more light and higher resolution are a bonus. Then the handling is so much better on the K1 (both are equipped with battery-grips) With the KP I need to look for the back focus button and AE button. no need for that on the K1. The K1 coupled with the big and heavy D-FA 150-450mm don't give me any hand cramps. With the KP it is more of a struggle...
12-19-2021, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

This is exactly what I'm aiming at. For the moment I have the K-5 as a sidekick, but it doesn't get much action. With the KP I fear the opposite will happen, I will the K1 at home.
12-19-2021, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If only Pentax had managed to squeeze the larger battery of the K1 into the KP, but I suppose we must suffer for our art😊
12-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
If only Pentax had managed to squeeze the larger battery of the K1 into the KP, but I suppose we must suffer for our art😊
Yes , I usually try to keep duo kit outing using the same batteries , just practical reason.

Please note if you use battery grip with K-P , it can also take battery from K-1 with plastic adapter ( supplied with the grip).
12-19-2021, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Yes , I usually try to keep duo kit outing using the same batteries , just practical reason.

Please note if you use battery grip with K-P , it can also take battery from K-1 with plastic adapter ( supplied with the grip).
Trouble with the grip is they're rare as rocking horse droppings on the second hand market and new they're more than half of what I paid for my KP. More suffering for my art.😊
12-19-2021, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a great duo!
I would consider it, if I didn't already have a K-5 and K-01 (my go to travel light camera).