Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #31

I use a K-5ii as the backup to my K-1ii. They use the same battery, so it's easy to take both in a kit with spare batteries. I have no DA lenses. I've taken just the K-5ii when I was just "casually" shooting stuff.

12-21-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I am in a kind of converse position. I have only had APS-C DSLRs but have a number of FF lenses or FF-compatible lenses (DA 35 f2.4, FA 43 Ltd, FA 50 macro, FA 77 Ltd, DFA 100, FA*300, Sigma 400 f5.6) and have often toyed with the idea of getting a K-1ii. What I would lack most is wide coverage and paradoxically there are more affordable lightweight options in APS-C. I have the DA 12-24, DA 15 Ltd, DA 16-85 and DA 20-40 Ltd which don't have direct counterparts (in size and weight) in FF. If you were going for a KP, I'd suggest you consider something along these lines as well. For lightweight travel and high quality, the 15 and 20-40 are excellent - as much as you loved the DA 35 macro, the 20-40 might be a more versatile option.
...or of course the 18-135?

But you may have a point regarding the 20-40 as I hadn't thought of this lens. Thanks for the thoughts, Des.
12-21-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
If only Pentax had managed to squeeze the larger battery of the K1 into the KP, but I suppose we must suffer for our art😊
This is the rub for me with this combo. I had a K-1 and a K-S2 for a while. Originally I didn't realize the smaller camera would have a different battery or I might have chosen differently. The K-S2 was great but I would have liked it better with a compatible battery. Now I have the K-3iii as my smaller camera and although not quite as small, being able to use both batteries and lenses from both systems interchangeably is pretty convenient.
12-21-2021, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I originally bought a KP back in 2018 to be a backup to my K1. I was heading to Alaska and was trying to talk myself into a second K1 as a backup and the 150-450 (a lens I was pretty sure would be too heavy and awkward for me) for wildlife and buying the KP and DA 1.4 TC to go with the DA300 was a cheaper and better ergonomic option. My original backup camera was a K-S1 that I loved but which developed aperture block, so I had the smaller batteries anyway, so the fact that it uses different batteries made no difference to me.

During that trip I found myself using the KP as my walk-about lens because it’s size and weight were easier for me to manage. Over 3 years have gone by and the KP is really my primary camera, with the K1 as a back-up. I very much appreciate the light weight and smaller size - it fits me better. The K3III didn’t appeal to me because of the extra weight and size.

So the KP/K1 is an excellent combination for me.

12-21-2021, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering the reasons and the capability of these two cameras I think this is a good idea. Now I have the same Pentax combination, however several times I am using the tripod (a small one) especially for the KP. It can improve the image quality in terms of sharpness. Both have no low-pass filter, and they are similar in IQ, of course it depends on the lenses. In my practice I find two lenses which have visible difference on these cameras the Pentax-A f 4/100macro and the Pentax FA 1.9/43, most probably due to the pixel size. (Also possible it depend on the quality of the copy, please do not believe “the minor dust inclusion does not affect the quality of the picture” . )
Against these it happened few times that I went back with K-1 to those place that I have already captured using KP.

Good luck and enjoy the walk around KP...
12-21-2021, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is my exact setup. On my trip to Zion in October I used the following:

--K-1 II with the 15-30 and 28-105, giving me full coverage from super-wide to medium telephoto

--KP with my 60-250 to give me the equivalent of nearly a 100-400mm full frame, in a lightweight combo. Using PS whenever possible, I get outstanding image quality. My 60-250 is full-frame modified, but I don't really use it as such, at least not yet.

This also gave me the advantage of having a body backup, should either body fail or be damaged.

I do use the KP exclusively, though, as a light, walk around hiking camera. I pair it with the 16-85 and the 55-300 PLM.

Enjoy!
12-21-2021, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I originally bought a KP back in 2018 to be a backup to my K1. I was heading to Alaska and was trying to talk myself into a second K1 as a backup and the 150-450 (a lens I was pretty sure would be too heavy and awkward for me) for wildlife and buying the KP and DA 1.4 TC to go with the DA300 was a cheaper and better ergonomic option. My original backup camera was a K-S1 that I loved but which developed aperture block, so I had the smaller batteries anyway, so the fact that it uses different batteries made no difference to me.

During that trip I found myself using the KP as my walk-about lens because it’s size and weight were easier for me to manage. Over 3 years have gone by and the KP is really my primary camera, with the K1 as a back-up. I very much appreciate the light weight and smaller size - it fits me better. The K3III didn’t appeal to me because of the extra weight and size.

So the KP/K1 is an excellent combination for me.
Thanks for the endorsement!

---------- Post added 12-21-21 at 06:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grizzly Quote
Considering the reasons and the capability of these two cameras I think this is a good idea. Now I have the same Pentax combination, however several times I am using the tripod (a small one) especially for the KP. It can improve the image quality in terms of sharpness. Both have no low-pass filter, and they are similar in IQ, of course it depends on the lenses. In my practice I find two lenses which have visible difference on these cameras the Pentax-A f 4/100macro and the Pentax FA 1.9/43, most probably due to the pixel size. (Also possible it depend on the quality of the copy, please do not believe “the minor dust inclusion does not affect the quality of the picture” . )
Against these it happened few times that I went back with K-1 to those place that I have already captured using KP.

Good luck and enjoy the walk around KP...
I will do - hopefully the deal sticks!

---------- Post added 12-21-21 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GregL564 Quote
This is my exact setup. On my trip to Zion in October I used the following:

--K-1 II with the 15-30 and 28-105, giving me full coverage from super-wide to medium telephoto

--KP with my 60-250 to give me the equivalent of nearly a 100-400mm full frame, in a lightweight combo. Using PS whenever possible, I get outstanding image quality. My 60-250 is full-frame modified, but I don't really use it as such, at least not yet.

This also gave me the advantage of having a body backup, should either body fail or be damaged.

I do use the KP exclusively, though, as a light, walk around hiking camera. I pair it with the 16-85 and the 55-300 PLM.

Enjoy!
I'll enjoy the combination - I've had it in the back of my mind for a while now and it's heartening to know that lots of others have also got the same setup - it makes sense in so many ways!

12-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This is the rub for me with this combo. I had a K-1 and a K-S2 for a while. Originally I didn't realize the smaller camera would have a different battery or I might have chosen differently. The K-S2 was great but I would have liked it better with a compatible battery. Now I have the K-3iii as my smaller camera and although not quite as small, being able to use both batteries and lenses from both systems interchangeably is pretty convenient.
Absolutely! I now carry two spare batteries with me that fit either the K1 or K3III instead of three smaller ones for the K-70 along with K1 batteries. I've tried all along to buy lenses that work on either body, and for the most part they do.

I've also decided to carry all UHSII SD cards too as spares rather than a mix. Even tho they aren't necessary for the K1 they still transfer those bigger image files to my computer far faster, there's no downside to using one (other than price), and I don't wonder if I have the right one for the K3III with me.
12-21-2021, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
...or of course the 18-135?

But you may have a point regarding the 20-40 as I hadn't thought of this lens. Thanks for the thoughts, Des.
This is my brace too - K1ii plus K5ii - virtually identical except for the sensor size (though the pixel size is almost the same). The K1 has more to offer under the hood and has that swing screen but otherwise complimentary.
12-21-2021, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #40
Forum Member

Two years ago I went from a K-20 to a K-P. In the last couple of years I builded up my collection of lenses and went from using a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 and a 70-300 APO to a wide range of older SMC A primes (and one sublime 35-105/3.5 zoom!), two tele SMC M copies. This newly purchased range of older glass in combination with the K-P works really great. Only recently I added newer DA(F) prime lenses just to have some bennefit in swifty situations in low light (dance stage).

At this moment the choice would be to add a K-1(ii) or an extra K-P, and I'm leaning towards the second. It's a great value-for-money camera, and with a batterygrip very steady in landscape- and portait position (and maybe adds to the bulky feeling of a K-1).

When you decide for a used K-P, make sure to update the firmware if the previous owner hasn't done that already.

Last edited by NickLapin; 12-21-2021 at 04:18 PM.
12-21-2021, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
..or of course the 18-135?But you may have a point regarding the 20-40 as I hadn't thought of this lens. Thanks for the thoughts, Des.
The 18-135 is terrifically versatile and quite capable. If you are looking for a wide ranging zoom, also consider the 16-85. I have both and they are each good lenses. But I mentioned the 20-40 because once you have a taste for the Limiteds ...

(Incidentally, some members have got very good results from the 20-40 on FF too, with judicious cropping to deal with the vignetting. Have a look at the work of Eddy Summers (@BruceBanner): https://flic.kr/s/aHskRkPTvg)

There are lots of walkaround options with the KP. I tend to use:
- 18-135 for a one-lens solution.
- 16-85 (or DA 12-24) and DA 55-300 PLM for a two-lens kit.
- 15 Ltd, 20-40 Ltd and 55-300 (or DFA 100) for a lightweight, compact, high quality three-lens kit.
Any of these plays to the strengths of APS-C with weight, size, cost and effective reach.

Last edited by Des; 12-21-2021 at 04:43 PM.
12-21-2021, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The 18-135 is terrifically versatile and quite capable. If you are looking for a wide ranging zoom, also consider the 16-85. I have both and they are each good lenses. But I mentioned the 20-40 because once you have a taste for the Limiteds ...

(Incidentally, some members have got very good results from the 20-40 on FF too, with judicious cropping to deal with the vignetting. Have a look at the work of Eddy Summers (@BruceBanner): HD DA 20-40 on K-1 (Full Frame Mode) | Flickr)

There are lots of walkaround options with the KP. I tend to use:
- 18-135 for a one-lens solution.
- 16-85 (or DA 12-24) and DA 55-300 PLM for a two-lens kit.
- 15 Ltd, 20-40 Ltd and 55-300 (or DFA 100) for a lightweight, compact, high quality three-lens kit.
Any of these plays to the strengths of APS-C with weight, size, cost and effective reach.
+ my beloved DA 18-250 ( classic ) ,

Sigma 18-250 HSM MACRO ( the last version ) or 18-300 HSM Contemporary
12-21-2021, 08:09 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tested my new DA 20-40 with my K-1. The aperture was set at f22, to maximize vignetting. The 25mm setting was most usable, with a little bit of corners clipped. Wider apertures would be more forgiving, but I'm thinking that FF isn;t a good use for this lens.
12-21-2021, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Veteran Member

I pretty much keep my aps-c bodies now for the lenses. I can't seem to want to part with the DA 15mm (a lens that I love so much I bought 2 replacements after some fall damage) DA 12-24mm, DA 16-85mm and DA 50-135mm. I use the DA 50-135mm in crop mode on full frame but it lives on a crop body on road trips so I don't need to change lenses for telephoto shots.
This was taken with my K-5 and DA 50-135mm.

12-21-2021, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I pretty much keep my aps-c bodies now for the lenses. I can't seem to want to part with the DA 15mm (a lens that I love so much I bought 2 replacements after some fall damage) DA 12-24mm, DA 16-85mm and DA 50-135mm. I use the DA 50-135mm in crop mode on full frame but it lives on a crop body on road trips so I don't need to change lenses for telephoto shots.
This was taken with my K-5 and DA 50-135mm.
That's more or less my same approach. The K-3 makes my long lenses longer, and my K-1 makes the short lenses shorter. Mix and match that and you gain a wide range of focal lengths, even using primes.