Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by allill Quote
Is the Live cashback still 25%? You got me thinking now, not good for my pocket
Nope...your wallet is safe

12-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
That's what I thought. Thank goodness (for me & my empty wallet).
12-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #33
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
You think the K10D competes with the 40D? I had always compared it to the 30D.
Dpreview compared the Canon 40D to the K10D:

Canon EOS 40D Review: 22. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

Compared to...
As with the majority of our studio image quality comparisons we selected the nearest competition by category, specification, price and feature set. We would liked to have compared the EOS 40D to the D300 but at the time of publication of this review a production D300 was not available. Hence we had to pick the next nearest model, the soon to be replaced D200. Finally we opted for the K10D as a great value-for-money alternative, some $400 cheaper than the EOS 40D but overflowing with features (including in-body Image Stabilization).

In the RAW comparison on page 26 the K10D beats the 40D in resolving detail.

Of course, if you told me the 40D is simply a 30D with a few more megapixels, I wouldn't disagree. But it's logical to compare the K10D to the 40D simply because both are 10MP APS-C enthusiast SLR's.
12-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #34
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Live cashback went to 30% on Black Friday. I bought my LX3 then.

Too bad it's at 8% now! Hopefully it'll come back to 20 or 25% after Christmas. I'm doubtful, but who knows.

12-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Dpreview compared the Canon 40D to the K10D:

Canon EOS 40D Review: 22. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

Compared to...
As with the majority of our studio image quality comparisons we selected the nearest competition by category, specification, price and feature set. We would liked to have compared the EOS 40D to the D300 but at the time of publication of this review a production D300 was not available. Hence we had to pick the next nearest model, the soon to be replaced D200. Finally we opted for the K10D as a great value-for-money alternative, some $400 cheaper than the EOS 40D but overflowing with features (including in-body Image Stabilization).

In the RAW comparison on page 26 the K10D beats the 40D in resolving detail.

Of course, if you told me the 40D is simply a 30D with a few more megapixels, I wouldn't disagree. But it's logical to compare the K10D to the 40D simply because both are 10MP APS-C enthusiast SLR's.
Edl,
Of course, one of the biggest reason to make the plunge to Pentax is the ability to get lenses that came from Pentax film cameras decades ago on Ebay for a fraction of what you have to pay for them new.

Barry
12-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #36
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Just do it now and enjoy your photography.
12-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #37
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Edl,
Of course, one of the biggest reason to make the plunge to Pentax is the ability to get lenses that came from Pentax film cameras decades ago on Ebay for a fraction of what you have to pay for them new.

Barry
Hey Barry,

I completely agree. If anything, the ability to use K and M glass is probably Pentax's greatest advantage over others.

Just to be clear, I copied that large paragraph in my last post from Dpreview's review.
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Hey Barry,

I completely agree. If anything, the ability to use K and M glass is probably Pentax's greatest advantage over others.

Just to be clear, I copied that large paragraph in my last post from Dpreview's review.
Hmmm, I suppose if a K40 comes out and it has HD movie ability and a 20+ MP CMOS sensor,I'll wait ,save my money,sell my 200d body and wait (unlike last time) for Pentax to offer a rebate and even then, wait 6 months for then price to come down even more. Of course the rebate will have expired by then but if I could get the K40 body in the $900-$1000 range or less, sure I'll get one in a heartbeat if it has all the above features I mentioned above. Nikon D90 owners, eat your heart out.

Barry.

12-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #39

upgrade?

This is a fun group (I just signed up yesterday). I have a K10D and was thinking about getting a second (identical) body. I love this camera. I only installed the firmware update last night (thank you forum!) and you should have seen me try (and try) to use wireless flash without it. Now I have a beautifully exposed image of the intersection of two white walls with the white ceiling of my computer room/office (no, the walls aren't padded), and the white bookshelf full of highly colorful books that has old camera bags stashed on top (some with film cameras in them, including a K1000).

Since my wife had the K1000 in college and used a nice f2.0 50 mm macro lens to photograph her artwork, it is more than great to be able to use that lens on the K10D. We have about 4 other older lenses, only one of which is a cheap autofocus from our model something-or-other Pentax program/autofocus film camera. I'll update my profile with the lenses shortly.

The K20 certainly has some great features, from what I'm reading, but I am not close to understanding all of the K10 yet, and haven't felt limited by the camera much at all (I have felt limited by myself quite frequently, but I'm getting better... with the camera anyway).

In this economy, I guess I should feel my consumer confidence boosted by all the upgrade talk here.

I do shoot a lot in crummy light, so high ISO would be cool, but I went for a less expensive upgrade and bought a semi-decent tripod and ball head. No more wobbly aluminum nightmares with pan-heads that don't ever level! I imagine that the tripod, plus my walking stick/monopod (well, it's my son's), will help me in low light enough for now.

If you are frusrtated with speed, try this: I have an Olympus C7000 point&shoot (I used to be an OM-1n guy) and I never liked its color rendering in JPEG. After getting the K10 and learning about RAW, I now shoot in RAW mode on the C7000. It takes about 15-20 seconds to write the raw file the the XD card. Oy! At least the results are finally much better.

I agree totally with the idea that we get access to all kinds of great lenses from all of the Pentax cameras, and we can do without a few features in return, especially at the Pentax prices vs. Nikon or Canon. However, I have not had the same experience with eBay that the group is talking about when it comes to buying lenses. I can't use what I bought and am to ashamed to sell them to someone else. So, I haven't found that great M42 deal that I bought the adapter for...

When it comes to cameras, they are almost as bad as computers- if you wait, you might suffer from poor performance but if you buy now, you have remorse and suffer because of tomorrow's better deal. So, as with computers, I'd buy the best I could afford now but not sweat the vaporware that hasn't been released yet. For me, that means buying nothing (in a camera body anyway) and enjoying the heck out of my K10D. For those who can, stock up on K20's and fire away.

I just can't see worrying about the K30 (but maybe if things were more financially stable I'd be in the thick of this debate). If you need high Frames Per Second now, I suggest you get a Nikon with maybe one lens specially for those occasions (or a Canon). The K30 may not give you the FPS, anyway, as has been suggested. I'm off to dream about all my wireless flash opportunities with the K10.
12-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #40

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have been reading a bit about the upcoming k30d and k300d on this forum.
What I would like to know is that has anybody got any real proof about these new
upcoming cameras or is it all just speculation and rumours, I'm not trying to put a dampner
on this subject, I would just like to know for sure. Hopefully it is true and Pentax bring out
another stunning camera like there previous ones.
12-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Well, I am very positive about the upcoming k20D replacement. I think there will be significant improvement.
12-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #42
Inactive Account

I've decided on a k20d with sigma 10-20mm. Any leads on a great price ?
thanks
Eddie
12-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
I have been reading a bit about the upcoming k30d and k300d on this forum.
What I would like to know is that has anybody got any real proof about these new
upcoming cameras or is it all just speculation and rumours, I'm not trying to put a dampner
on this subject, I would just like to know for sure. Hopefully it is true and Pentax bring out
another stunning camera like there previous ones.
Nothing has been announced by Pentax. It's all speculation/wishful thinking so far. And if anybody really knows what coming next, they are surely not allowed to talk about it.
12-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie01 Quote
I've decided on a k20d with sigma 10-20mm. Any leads on a great price ?
thanks
Eddie

I buy most of my cameras and gear from Amazon, they normally offer free shipping and great prices. Got my Sigma 70-300 zoom for $164.00
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Is this a business or a hobby decision? Ask yourself honestly what the K20D, or even the fabled K30D, might offer that you just can't live without right now. What pictures will you miss if you don’t invest in better gear? What will it cost you, in real dollars, to wait? What might it cost you not to wait? Can you comfortably afford either answer?

What if you put the same money into a book collection or a workshop or two? What about light or glass? What investment will improve your final images, and maybe your bottom line, the most?

I've always rooted for the underdog but I keep my bets at levels I can afford to loose. I just upgraded from a K100D to a K10D for purely business reasons, at a price I will be able to easily recover from if it proves to be a poor decision. If Pentax performs beyond projections in 2009, I continue to make money with my Pentax gear in 2010. If they don't perform, I either fold at a level I can live with or I find a way to continue making pictures that look like they were shot with a more impressive camera.

Either way, I'll be able to sell the K10D in a year for close to the same money I spent on it if it makes good economic sense. The K20D still has room to fall price wise. Ask yourself honestly, do you need it at any price? If not, what price do you need to see before it's a comfortable bet? When it hits that price, buy. Until then, work as hard as you can to continue outgrowing the gear you are already shooting with and try to make each picture so amazing that people forget to ask what camera you used to get it.