Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

High ISO precessing as good as the Nikon D90.

AF as fast as latest Canon/Nikon/Sony.

Built-in Shake Reduction as good as the latest Sonys.

Better battery life
(if AA's are used improve on ridiculously high cutoff threshold voltage)

12Mp

Don't care too much about live-view or video,
but 930K 3" LCD would be nice.

cost <$400 !!!

12-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #32

I think the 3 year extend warranty is a nice incentive for the K20D and would like that offer on all the Pentax cameras. For lenses I would like all products to have a 10 year warranty. This would make me much more comfortable buying SDM lenses. It would be good if this was an international warranty and covered no matter where you bought the Pentax products.
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

thanks for your valuable contributions . However, the original motivation for this survey was to add features, which would make you purchase a KXXD (even despite the fact that you already possess n Pentax-DSLRs ). So each attribute you name should warrant that you immediately run to your local Pentax dealer to buy the associated camera .

Kind regards,
froeschle
12-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Movie mode!

I'm serious.

12-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #35

My boring K30D wish list:
  • 12-14.6 megapixels. I hope marketing doesn't dictate what the engineering department does. Just look what happened to Canon with the 50D.
  • A full 1 stop improvement of ISO performance over the K10D. The K20D comes close; its 1600 is just about as good as the K10D's 800, with the exception of chroma noise.
  • 1.0EV improvement in the highlight range over the K10D. The K20D is already halfway to that mark, but I'd also like to see less DR falloff than the K20D in the shadow range.
  • White balance, metering, and AF speed improvements from the K-m.
  • 3" 920k LCD screen.
  • MSRP of $1299 which falls to $999 by next holiday season.
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #36
Veteran Member

While I love my K20D and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon, there are a few things I could think of that I'd like.

- ability to add/integrate a GPS module. Wouldn't want it built in (too much battery hit), but would like the ability to add a module without losing the hotshoe.
- better high ISO capability (though the K20D is great for my needs) is always welcome
- faster AF while still maintaining the accuracy (though, again, I don't have any problem with Pentax in this case)
- and if we're going to have Live View, then I'd like an articulated rear LCD.
- movie mode would be nice (I've always used it on P&S cams)
- dual card slots (one for jpeg, one for raw)
- oh, and an MSRP of $999 or less. (I can dream, can't I?)
12-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better high ISO performance
Better AF
predictive AF

NaCl(AFAIK Pentax has no predictive AF at all!)H2O
12-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(AFAIK Pentax has no predictive AF at all!)H2O
If it has predictive AF, its predictions is as good as those of Sylvia Browne

My list :
1) better AF (especially in low-light and tracking)
2) better LCD (I want the 922k 3")
3) better liveview implementation (an articulated LCD would be great!)
4) 100% coverage viewfinder, a bigger VF would be nice too
5) more FPS, at least 5
6) improved sensor, resolution, noise or both
7) faster operation (my K20D is too slow to review a picture just taken in raw)

12-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
A lot of (un)founded rumors arise these days about the new KXXD: GPS, WLAN, bigger/smaller size, improved weather sealing, etc. Irrespective of these speculations, which affordable attributes (unfortunately KB-FF will most certainly not fall into this category) would convince you (in a rather saturated market) to buy a new Pentax DSLR?

For me killer features would be:
* "Stop-down coupler" ( Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount )
* A-TTL
* Reliable AF@AL

Other things are welcome but may not really justify to buy another Pentax DSLR. So, what is your opinion?
What would get me is the following and these are in order of necessity

- accurate metering with manual apature lenses
- real TTL flash selectable over P-TTL
- if pentax provided accurate metering, then a function on the green button to calculate the number of stops between wide open and where the apatur ering was set, to allow P-TTL functions on manual apature lenses.
- one more generation in noise improvement over the K20 up to and including ISO 6400
- un-crippeled K nount with apature ring reading capability
- support for power zoom functions, Image size tracking has some practical sports uses
- if I were an idealist, and apature activation mechanism for M42 lenses to use them in automatic modes
- the PZ1-/PZ-1p shutter specification 1/8000 with 1/250 flash sync
- 5 FPS frame rate
- selectable sharpening algoritims for JPEG
12-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #40

The reason I went with Pentax over Cannon and Nikon was the built-in image stabilization and backward compatibility of the lenses. My dad's 50mm 1.4 will make a superior low-light lenes. I also liked the weather proofing and old school ruggedness.

Now it almost seems like price gouging for Cannon and Nikon to sell IS lenses. Pentax nearly worked themselves out of the game. Innovation, and quality of course, may bring them back to the glory days of the K1000.