Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2021, 01:15 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The best tripod plates for this situation, I've found, are those that are considerably longer than the depth of the camera and have a couple of good, thick rubber inserts that extend beyond the front and rear of the body. When the plate is tightened into place, the grips mould around the front and rear edges ever-so-slightly, providing a more secure hold than smaller plates.

Manfrotto-style sliding QR plates are great, and there are some decent, cheaper third party equivalents. Obviously you need the appropriate head for the plate (see example attached).

I use some inexpensive third-party sliding QR plates with my Manfrotto head, and they hold my Hasselblad HV + Tamron 70-200/2.8 USD in portrait orientation quite securely - though I think it helps that the underside of the camera also has a rubber insert...

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-31-2021 at 01:31 AM.
12-31-2021, 01:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The pathetic tripod socket is for screwing pathetic tripods into, of course. As many have already said, serious tripod users fit L brackets using Arca Swiss-style mounts. Problem solved.
12-31-2021, 01:54 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The pathetic tripod socket is for screwing pathetic tripods into, of course. As many have already said, serious tripod users fit L brackets using Arca Swiss-style mounts. Problem solved.
Don't those L brackets (or Arca Swiss plates) screw into the pathetic tripod socket too?
12-31-2021, 02:47 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Don't those L brackets (or Arca Swiss plates) screw into the pathetic tripod socket too?
But the L-plate that biz-engineer posted has a swivel-preventing lock pin on the front edge.
Maybe others do too, but at least the Really Right Stuff plates do.

The lock pin socket is at the lower left of this photo of the bottom of the K-1:

12-31-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
But the L-plate that biz-engineer posted has a swivel-preventing lock pin on the front edge.
Maybe others do too, but at least the Really Right Stuff plates do.

The lock pin socket is at the lower left of this photo of the bottom of the K-1:
I was joking... My point being, the tripod socket isn't so pathetic after all, since whatever type of plate we attach, it uses that socket
12-31-2021, 03:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
To be fair, the Vanguard QS-36 plate that I use with this tripod does have a spring-loaded pin that is presumably meant to stop rotation. However, as far as I can see, there is no corresponding hole on the K1 base plate to accommodate it. Again, I would just hope for some standardisation, though nobody here thinks that that is realistic.
That pin is for film (cine) cameras, not photocameras
12-31-2021, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was joking... My point being, the tripod socket isn't so pathetic after all, since whatever type of plate we attach, it uses that socket
My late-night humor detector failed me.

I haven't used Lplates before. Mostly I shoot hand-held. And haven't had much trouble with tripod plates. I guess if the lens were heavy, I usually mounted the lens to the tripod. Now I'm curious about the various plates available, since I've always used the generic ones that came with the tripod head.

12-31-2021, 03:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but for now the quikest thing you can do if you want to shoot in portrit mode, lock the plate in the way that if it sags, it will tighten even more. Then it wont get loos. You just have to recompose after the sagging
12-31-2021, 03:26 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
My late-night humor detector failed me.

I haven't used Lplates before. Mostly I shoot hand-held. And haven't had much trouble with tripod plates. I guess if the lens were heavy, I usually mounted the lens to the tripod. Now I'm curious about the various plates available, since I've always used the generic ones that came with the tripod head.
Same here... I always used what came with the head. Then I bought a used Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 head (awesome bit of kit) which uses their RG2380.25PR plate. I liked it so much, I picked up a couple of third-party compatible plates so I could have them permanently attached to the tripod collars on my bigger / longer lenses...
12-31-2021, 04:15 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Again, I would just hope for some standardisation
Standardization in the camera industry? That would be a dream but not the real world camera industry. First, every camera brand has its own proprietary lens mount (and even different lens mount for apsc and ff of the same brand), second every flash protocol is more or less proprietary to the brand, third every user interface is different depending on brand, fifth battery grip isn't even the same from camera to camera, last but not least it's up to each customer to figure out and fiddle with the choice of accessories as if it is much too difficult technically and too expensive for a camera company to include a matching CNC aluminum L-bracket in the box with every camera sold or the camera could have an Arca bottom plate built in, but no. Ah I forgot, lens filter threads are standard and also there are only two standard sizes for tripod screws. Everything is interchangeable as long as you keep the same camera system, making the switch to another camera system as expensive as possible.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-31-2021 at 04:39 AM.
12-31-2021, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course they do: pathetic, innit? I use Manfrotto plates and ball head too, but on my list is a decent L bracket and an Arca Swiss setup. Some day.

Some L brackets have pins or tabs which stop the plate swivelling, like RRS, Kirk, Smallrig etc but they’re usually made for specific cameras.
12-31-2021, 07:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

That has always been an on going problem I've had too.... Though I still have a really good Manfrotto Ball head, since getting my K1 mkll I have gotten away from using it. Since I've bought a Vanguard 300T pistol grip I dont care what heavy lens, collared or not, I have put on my camera I don't have to mess with realigning the plate nor do I encounter any lens sag. Plus it has a feature that cable links the grip to my camera for remote shutter actuation if I choose.

https://www.vanguardworld.com/products/alta-gh-300t
12-31-2021, 09:17 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
What's with the pathetic tripod socket on cameras?
Another vote here for the L Bracket.
12-31-2021, 09:29 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I no longer find a Pentax-specific model, but Kirk makes a universal type that allows battery access on my K-1ii.
Have a look at the 3 Legged Thing, as they make a Universal L Bracket... which fits my K1s just fine (see my forum review link below), you can have either access to the SD cards or battery, depending which side you mount it on.

Me... I keep the SD cards side clear, as I run all my bodies with grips attached and hence with dual batteries. Being a manual kinda guy, power lasts a long, long time when just used for metering and shutter firing.

3 LEGGED THING L-BRACKET, UNIVERSAL reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I use Kirk L brackets and they lock perfectly under the camera, no rotation even with heavy lens. RRS L brackets also have a lock pin for the K1.
I thought this was they way to go too... but at time when I needed a solution, the brackets form either of these two brands, didn't cater for camera bodies with grips attached.

That may well have changed now of course.