Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Does Pentax developer monitor the forums ?

I wonder if Pentax developer ever monitor our forum, so that they will know the problem we have with the cameras and the features we wanted. I say that because I used Fuji XE-2 for a short while together with the Pentax, I compared the two and found some design flaw on the Fuji menu and mentioned in Dpreview, then Fuji fixed that on the next release. I am not saying I made them to change, but I did not hear from others mention the same problem so made me wonder why the change. What was the problem with Fuji you may ask, I can only remember one coz I no longer have the camera, it was "silent mode", was actually means "disable flash" something got lost in the translation ! may be it was too obvious a mistake not to correct. On another occasion few years back while we were discussing the K3 replacement, lot of ideas flooding out, and I mentioned that I want Type C charging on the camera, now we have it after 2 generations, again it was one of the most common feature not to have ! the other one suggestion I mentioned has not been "fulfilled" was an advanced add on grip for video, so that users can buy as an option, or shoot still and basic video only with the camera at lower cost, but that would be impractical too much to ask for.

12-30-2021, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I wonder if Pentax developer ever monitor our forum
This forum has been around for a while and has a pretty consistent user base, we can neither confirm or deny the presence of Pentax insiders on this forum.
12-30-2021, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
This forum has been around for a while and has a pretty consistent user base, we can neither confirm or deny the presence of Pentax insiders on this forum.
Yeah keep it down shhhh...
12-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
Closed Account

There was an official, short-lived collaboration between Ricoh/Pentax and the forums that started in December 2016.
Although it no longer officially exists, I would be confident that any good product suggestions made in the Product Suggestions and Feedback forum would be unofficially seen by the tech guys over there.

Getting official Pentax support - PentaxForums.com

12-30-2021, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course they monitor the forum- but the objective is likely to gauge high-level trends and users preferences, rather than technical matters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2021, 11:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If Ricoh read the forums, they must have an outstanding way to sort things out, because customer wishes and problems are so diverse. Probably if 200 customers have the same problem / request , it's catching some attention, maybe.
12-30-2021, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is little evidence that product feature suggestions and rants on this site have been the basis for any feature of any model, ever. Never mind that we have had brand ambassadors as forum members at various times and that our membership rolls includes some prominent names in Pentaxland.

Steve

12-31-2021, 12:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In October of 2018, I attended the Photoplus exhibition in NYC and spoke to some of the Ricoh/Pentax reps manning their booth. They said they "were aware" of PF and one of them told me that he read some of the posts when he had the time, but that was as much information as I got from them.
12-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Judging by the lack of any official position on the dreaded aperture block failure in the K30/K50/K70, I doubt that Ricoh pays much attention to mutterings on the worldwide web.
12-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is little evidence that product feature suggestions and rants on this site have been the basis for any feature of any model, ever. Never mind that we have had brand ambassadors as forum members at various times and that our membership rolls includes some prominent names in Pentaxland.
Absolutely.

Our gaijin opinions are so contradictory they are high noise, low signal.

Pentax is very Japan-centric, and values expert rather than amateur opinion, like the Brand Ambassadors.

What Kimio Tanaka thinks would count more for feedback to Ricoh than a thousand threads of 'Dear Pentax ...'
01-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Sure enough they collect feedback, even from here. They filter customer suggestions well; on the other hand customers neither have all the insights, nor do they take the risk of investing in new developments, so don’t expect that special feature wishes have to materialize.
A fullframe camera was delivered, large aperture glass as well, everything else was almost obvious like a K3 with improved AF.