Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2022, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who has a K-1 and a K3 iii? Opinions / use case / advocacy!

I've been sitting here with a K-3 iii in the shopping cart of a merchants virtual store for a couple weeks now. I've been shooting K-1 exclusively since February 2017. I kept all my DA glass when I sold my K-5 IIS. I have plenty of primes, and zooms for both formats from ultra wide to tele. I'm a daily shooter - even packing my K-1 kit on business trips etc. I'm not a paid photographer - but I do sell the occasional print mainly landscapes, some commissioned portraiture, and kid sports ( I've found 6 fps a bit of limit for the K-1 and its the main consideration of acquiring to K-3 iii). I've also been enjoying birds off the front porch and on walks through the Bruce Trail and local conservation areas.

1) After getting a K-3 iii - What portion of your shooting (% time/shots) were made with K-1
2) Do you carry both, or go on excursions with one or other.. if both, what bag are you using?
3) Any regrets?

I can abide the cost, so please refrain from opinions on that aspect, its more a concern of gear collecting dust, or if they both get out in the field how you manage to carry the kit.

Thanks all for your contributions.

01-01-2022, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both. I use the K3iii a lot for birding with the DFA150-450 as well as some general short hikes with a selection of DA lenses. The K1 gets more use for street and architectural photography. I don't get much opportunity for portraiture.

I never carry both.

The major decision to come is which to take on my next overseas trip. I never take the 150-450 with me for those, so that's not an issue. The choice is out of:
  1. K1 + DFA28-105 + DFA* 50 + DFA* 70-200 + (DFA15-30 or DFA 21 Limited);
  2. K3iii + DA40 Limited + DA 15 Limited +DA 70 Limited + (DA 16-85 or DA 18-135) + (DA 55-300 or DFA* 70-200).
The final decision will depend on the type of scenery I anticipate, and the weight I'm willing to carry. It will be tough.

No regrets. I wouldn't divest of either.
01-01-2022, 12:48 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok, so I have both a K-1 and a K-3 III. I retired a couple of years ago.

My background: In film days, I was a pretty serious amateur. Starting off with a Pentax Super Program and (later) an MX, I bought a 645 system when I got into B&W (my B&W mentor encouraged that) and later I got into 4x5. I had a darkroom and developed and printed all my B&W work. The 645 and 4x5 cameras were my 'serious work' cameras (lots of landscapes) and were almost exclusively B&W, except for a few weddings I shot. My 35mm equipment was used mostly for snapshots and family events, although I did shoot things like a Grand Am race and a few wedding receptions with my 35mm kit. I shot only 35mm color film - both print and slides. No 35mm B&W.

I mostly shot with primes. Still do.

Then I got out of photography for about 15 years. Digital exploded during that time.

About 2016 I decided to get back into photography. I had moved and no longer had my wet darkroom, and wasn't sure that building another darkroom was what I should do given the state of digital in 2016. The advent of the K-1 got me into digital. I was able to use my old 35mm lenses on the K-1, and over time I added several FF AF lenses to my kit, eventually mostly replacing my old MF lenses.

When the KP came out, I bought one, along with a few crop lenses. I then found myself using the K-1 in situations where previously I would have used my 645 kit and using the KP in the roles I previously filled with my 35mm kit.

I use my K-1 when I'm doing my more serious work - normally using a tripod. For handheld shooting and shooting action, I use my K-3 III and/or KP. This fall I took a river cruise and carried my K-3 III along with 20-40, 15, and 70mm lenses. I feel that both cameras have their place, and I still use both. However, I'm finding that I'm using the K-3 III more and more. Of course, with Covid, I've not been doing a lot of long photo trips, so that has cut back on opportunities to use the K-1.

If I had to pick *one* kit today, I'd go with the K-3 III kit, no doubt. It's smaller, lighter, more compact, and is a few years more advanced than my K-1. Yes, at roughly 24mp vs 36 mp it's resolution is less, but right now 24mp enough *for me*.

I carry my K-1 in a Domke F-2B bag I found used. I am not thrilled carrying the 15-30, as it's a big honker and doesn't play nicely with many camera carrying solutions. But at the time, it's what was available.

I use my film era Domke F-2 for my K-3 III kit, but I often use smaller Domke bags like the F-10 JD for things like the river cruise.

Last edited by wm_brant; 01-01-2022 at 01:10 PM.
01-01-2022, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless I'm hiking (K3III and K-70 then) I more often than not often carry both to a photo op, with different range lenses on each. I find the two bodies complementary.

Extra lenses and "stuff", and sometimes one camera or the other, get carried in a LowePro Sling bag, but more often than not I have both on a Spider Belt, one each side gunslinger style.

01-01-2022, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
. . . I find the two bodies complementary.. . .
I agree

There are times I would have both with me

I urge the OP to go for it
01-01-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I agree

There are times I would have both with me

I urge the OP to go for it
Haha, thats advocacy...
01-01-2022, 01:44 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Mattt,
Perhaps an unfair bias as this whole CoVid thing has reduced the opportunities to shoot somewhat but, here's what I've found. Moved from the K-5IIs to the K-1 (kept the K-5IIs for sentimental reasons) Also had a reasonable assortment of lenses (acquired over many years of having cropped sensor Pentax bodies) but found many didn't really release the perceived power of the K-1. So, purchased a few select lenses for the K-1 (DA 15-30, DA 28-105, DFA*50 and DFA*85 and a Tamron 100mm macro) to provide similar coverage compared to the cropped sensor lenses routinely used. .
For a period of time, took both bodies and a selection of lenses on every excursion but found it inconvenient to carry both bodies at once so the use of the K-1 has virtually dropped to zero, The K-3III with the existing lens selection is a great walk around camera. It might just be my perception but I think the K-3III breathes more life into the lenses that experienced when using them on the K-5IIs or other previous bodies (the favoured lens is the DA* 50-135 although I was disillusioned with it on the K-5IIs). Simply stated, for walk arounds, the K-1 and one of these design-built lens is a heavy piece of equipment that gains weight by the hour.
So, for casual walk around photography, the K-3III gets the nod. For planned (limited walking/carrying) the K-1 will be used (studio, landscapes, etc.,) and I will consider using the tripod more lol
For storage and transport, have invested in hard cases (like Pelicans, etc.) and segregated the K-1 and newer lenses from the cropped and older FF lenses). When going out, I use one of two carry bags; for general trekking have an older Lowepro Omni Traveler. This bag allows you to carry a couple or three lenses to meet expected need and fits over the shoulder, under arm, close to the body. For studio or event shoots, have a top loading Lowepro Stealth Reporter that allows you to carry one or two bodies and assorted accessories (flash, batteries, light meter, etc.). The latter is very much a carry in and drop deal as it is dimensionally bigger and can, depending on enclosed equipment, become quite weighty. Initially, had a Lowepro Trekker backpack and naively carried everything everywhere. Deciding to switch lenses was a process in itself and, to be honest, didn't like the fact the side resting on your back was the side picking up all the dirt and wet from the ground. For a while, used the Trekker for transit storage and moved the required equipment to the "Traveler" as needed and then evolved to the Reporter" as my interest shifted into more venue and event pursuits.
Regrets? None. I think having to look deeper into the functional design of these two bodies has helped me grow photographically especially when it comes to making decisions on the equipment to get the shot. Hope this helps.

01-01-2022, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Haha, thats advocacy...
Why waste words.
01-01-2022, 01:54 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With both, you'll be able to take selfies of yourself with a camera in hand . I had to do it because nobody can do selfie shots like you can, very entertaining and well done.
01-01-2022, 02:10 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
With both, you'll be able to take selfies of yourself with a camera in hand . I had to do it because nobody can do selfie shots like you can, very entertaining and well done.
Questionable Use Case according to my wife

Its only Money right?

Last edited by mattt; 01-01-2022 at 02:22 PM.
01-01-2022, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry both cameras on any outing with an unknown set of subjects. It allows me to effectively have a 1.5 teleconverter for my full frame lenses using the K3iii, fast fps if that is required, usually I have the battery grips on both bodies and the difference in size isn't really that much. Two bodies and a range of lenses get swallowed into my old Billingham 550 bag from way back in the days of film and the LX. Overall the split seems to be about 60 40 K1 K3iii for me, for general work I have the 28-105 on the K1 and the PLM 16-50 on the K3iii. No regrets at all other than I wish Pentax would have released the K1 earlier, all my old glass came alive again once it was released. If I need a small kit then the DA glass and K3iii are the way to go. Enjoy your journey.
01-01-2022, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use both.
I use the K-3 Mark III for birds, and that is probably about 80-90% of my camera work.
I use the K-1, mainly with a 24-70, for shots of family, and occasionally for art work reproduction.
I never carry both.

Cheers,
Terry
01-01-2022, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bought Kr, replaced that with K3, added K1 around the time the mark 11 came out. Added K3 iii at introduction. Gave Kr to a relative (student), kept K3 as a spare. Now use the K3 iii mostly, and mostly for birding. When the K3 iii is on the tripod for capturing raptors, I've got the K1 on the seat of the car for anything that comes very close, with either the 300mm or modified 60-250mm on it when the 150-450mm is on the K3 iii.If I happen to have the 560mm on the k3 iii / tripod, the 150-450mm is on the K1.
Agree with previous posters, go for it!
01-01-2022, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t have either camera, so my perspective may not be helpful. I do have the KP and I did use a K-1 for a month and I own a Sony A7RIII.

What I can say that’s relevant is that I use both systems about as frequently as the other. The Sony body is very similar to the KP in size and I don’t have or want any 24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8 glass. By sticking with the 24-105 f4 and a few primes and a 70-300 I’ve kept the weight down making the two systems a bit more similar in carry weight and size. My KP has larger and smaller glass (I own far more k-mount glass than e-Mount glass) effectively I’ve found roughly what I’m happy carrying- it’s not identical in weight or effective angle of view, but it clearly resonates with me.

When do I use one vs the other? When my dad is with me it’s the Sony. He has an A7RII and we tend to shoot together when possible. Keeping compatible gear along helps. In the past we had matching K-50 and then K-3 bodies and even a stint with m43 (GX7 and GX8). Also I pick the Sony when I’m doing something I think I can squeeze a little more detail out off with the larger sensor. The lenses also drive decisions when picking what gear to take where.

I guess I’m suggesting that if you have both and like the lenses you have on both formats you won’t be likely to let the gear gather dust.

---------- Post added 01-01-22 at 06:07 PM ----------

That said, I’m exiting m43. I really enjoyed the gear and Pentax plus m43 was fine but having three separate formats became too much. One of the three formats would sit idle too often. The RX100IV offers a tiny size option with good iq so m43 is leaving.
01-01-2022, 07:08 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I have both. I only use APSC for birds/wildlife. Got a K3iii to get better iso at 1600+ for those wildlife (mainly bird) shots where the original K3 struggled to maintain detail and it does deliver on that. I also wanted some basic video capability and the K3iii is better than all previous Pentaxes in that regard. I still prefer the K1 for People and Landscapes. If I am being honest either camera is good enough if I only had one camera. K1 in crop mode shoots faster and has a deeper buffer than it does in FF mode and I have used it successfully for birds. K3iii will do just fine for people and landscapes. I like to carry 2 cameras when I go out. One strapped to my chest with the DA*300 and one on my hip with something wider.