Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2022, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 2 cents...

I try to shoot every day, weather and subject permitting. Nature (small critters, birds, butterflies, insects, plant foliage and fruit, tight landscape/urban settings, etc.) are my current subjects of interest.

The K-1 has been my 'go to' since it was introduced in 2016. It was later upgraded to a K-1 MkII when Pentax offered the service.
Recently, I acquired a K-3 MkIII. Before I bought it, like you, I was 'on the fence'. After studying this video numerous times, I pulled the trigger. Check it out:

MAN BEHIND smc PENTAX ?????: ??????????? Pentax K-3 Mark III ??

I'm finding, “Yes,” the video is accurate. YOU can easily get similar results, if you think positive and put your mind to it.
As such, I plan to be on the K-3 MkIII's learning curve to spring. Currently, I work with it (say) 75% of the time. Once winter gets behind me, I plan to use the K-3 MkII to capture more active subjects and the K-1 MkII for less active subjects and settings.

Over the years I've been fortunate to acquire good copies of several lenses. As such, my basic kit for each camera body consists of four lenses. Two work beautifully with both cameras.

K-3 MkIII: HDA 20-40, HD FA 70-210/4, DA*300/4+HD 1.4TC.
K-1 MkII: HD FA 28-105, HD FA 70-210/4, DA*300/4+HD 1.4TC

Unexpected lessons learned?

With good light, the HD FA 70-210/4 is excellent. It will probably be my first pick when working with either camera.
Working back and forth between both cameras, using the K-3 MkIII is teaching me how to make better use of my K-1 MkII.
I like to work FAST. The post-processing workflow of K-3 MkIII files is quick, easy, and satisfying.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers and enjoy... the Golden Age is calling... M

01-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I try to shoot every day, weather and subject permitting.<snip>

With good light, the HD FA 70-210/4 is excellent. It will probably be my first pick when working with either camera.
DFA 70-210 is a favourite. Interesting point about workflow.

Will check out link. TFS!
01-02-2022, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
With both, you'll be able to take selfies of yourself with a camera in hand . I had to do it because nobody can do selfie shots like you can, very entertaining and well done.
100% agree. I would happily pay for a book of @mattt selfies re the camera conundrum. I don't have a K1, I would love a K1 but I have a smoking black hole where my budget use to be. I do however have a variety of cameras. Sometimes I use one for a specific purpose but mostly the camera choice comes down to whim. The cross over between the cameras means some days you can take what you really fancy shooting with whereas, on other days you can go with the one that does the job best. I can't see either getting neglected. If you can afford it, get it bought
01-02-2022, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day,

Been shooting with a K-1 since May 2016. Picked up the K3-III (with battery grip) in May 2021. My aim has been to use the K3-III for action shots or when I want to take a lighter kit with me when travelling on a motorcycle.

The K-1 is still my preferred camera, especially for wider shots as I think the larger sensor works better for this type of image.

This year I've been mostly taking the motorcycle out so the lighter kit has been a preference for no other reason than it's less to carry with some Limited Lenses. If I'm in the car I'll take whichever suits my intent for getting out with the camera.

So: I don't travel with a camera all the time, and I have not taken both cameras with me (so far).

The bag I take will be one of four camera bags or two backpacks that I will use on the bike even though they're not designed for carrying camera gear. One of these backpacks is well set up for camera gear that I would carry (mainly a combo of primes but also some zooms from time to time) whilst the other is larger and more suitable for the longer lenses, a monopod or travel tripod and when off the bike it will carry my jacket and helmet.

When I want a light kit to take out I will grab the K3-III, the DA15/4, D-FA 43/1.9 and the DA70/2.4. I like this kit and when on the bike it is my preference as it will fit into my Lowepro Nova 1 AW. I'm looking for other smaller bag options too for this set up that will add a fourth lens or a zoom like the DA 50-135 and some wider options.

I have two camera backpacks and a Thinktank Retrospective 30 all of which can work on the bike or in the car.

As my focus is to use the cameras with a different intent and to plan a trip I have my set ups to suit this approach. Long lenses or Limited lenses with the K3-III and the K-1 for wider shots and using my Zeiss manual primes. This is a guide of course and if I want to swap that around I will.

Okay, so the above probably doesn't answer the questions you asked but maybe this will:

1) After getting a K-3 iii - What portion of your shooting (% time/shots) were made with K-1 This will depend on what I want to capture. If I think the K-1 is the better option I will go with that, if I'm looking to capture motorcycle racing and surfing shots using a long lens, then it will be the K3-III. Any time I'm planning to use a wider lens I will prefer the K-1. Both cameras cross over in the middle with image preferences so both cameras will suit me if capturing people or an event. I do not prefer one camera over the other, they both have their roles for me. I must therefore go with 50:50.

2) Do you carry both, or go on excursions with one or other.. if both, what bag are you using? I normally only carry one at a time. None of my bags are really suitable for two cameras other than maybe the Thinktank Retrospective 30.

3) Any regrets? Nope. My K-1 is modified with an S Type screen for manual focus lenses as I have a lot of them. The K3-III was clearly going to improve the action/sports shots and my experience so far is it is in a different league compared to the K-1 for keeping up with faster subjects. I use manual focus lenses on the K3-III and expect to take the K-1 to sports/action events too. The cameras sit side by side, not in place of one another.

I don't know what comes next from Ricoh / Pentax but if the next K-1 has the bells and whistles of the K3-III it's going to be an awesome bit of kit but the APSC form factor & FOV will still complement an FF camera. IMHO, YMMV, EIEIO.

Tas

01-02-2022, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #20

I have both with a similar stance to the above posts, the K3iii is for in flight aircraft and birds, mainly hooked to a 150 - 450, the K1 is for portraits particularly on an 85 F1.4 etc and general use, I also have a Z which is also portraits and glamour / nudes and landscapes etc

I only take what kit I think I'll need so its only ever one camera body maybe with a few lenses
01-02-2022, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
Ok, so I have both a K-1 and a K-3 III. I retired a couple of years ago.

My background: In film days, I was a pretty serious amateur. Starting off with a Pentax Super Program and (later) an MX, I bought a 645 system when I got into B&W (my B&W mentor encouraged that) and later I got into 4x5. I had a darkroom and developed and printed all my B&W work. The 645 and 4x5 cameras were my 'serious work' cameras (lots of landscapes) and were almost exclusively B&W, except for a few weddings I shot. My 35mm equipment was used mostly for snapshots and family events, although I did shoot things like a Grand Am race and a few wedding receptions with my 35mm kit. I shot only 35mm color film - both print and slides. No 35mm B&W.

I mostly shot with primes. Still do.

Then I got out of photography for about 15 years. Digital exploded during that time.

About 2016 I decided to get back into photography. I had moved and no longer had my wet darkroom, and wasn't sure that building another darkroom was what I should do given the state of digital in 2016. The advent of the K-1 got me into digital. I was able to use my old 35mm lenses on the K-1, and over time I added several FF AF lenses to my kit, eventually mostly replacing my old MF lenses.

When the KP came out, I bought one, along with a few crop lenses. I then found myself using the K-1 in situations where previously I would have used my 645 kit and using the KP in the roles I previously filled with my 35mm kit.

I use my K-1 when I'm doing my more serious work - normally using a tripod. For handheld shooting and shooting action, I use my K-3 III and/or KP. This fall I took a river cruise and carried my K-3 III along with 20-40, 15, and 70mm lenses. I feel that both cameras have their place, and I still use both. However, I'm finding that I'm using the K-3 III more and more. Of course, with Covid, I've not been doing a lot of long photo trips, so that has cut back on opportunities to use the K-1.

If I had to pick *one* kit today, I'd go with the K-3 III kit, no doubt. It's smaller, lighter, more compact, and is a few years more advanced than my K-1. Yes, at roughly 24mp vs 36 mp it's resolution is less, but right now 24mp enough *for me*.

I carry my K-1 in a Domke F-2B bag I found used. I am not thrilled carrying the 15-30, as it's a big honker and doesn't play nicely with many camera carrying solutions. But at the time, it's what was available.

I use my film era Domke F-2 for my K-3 III kit, but I often use smaller Domke bags like the F-10 JD for things like the river cruise.
Enjoyed reading your view and your recommendations, which I agree with.

I have a K1, K5, K10D, Km, GR ll.

For the most used bodies the K1 and K5, I use two separate, Domke F2 bags. I've used a lot of bags, aluminum cases, etc...in the past 52 years of photography, but the Domke F2's are easily the best and most durable for my purposes.
01-02-2022, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #22

Since getting the new K-3iii, I often grab that first. If I need max quality, the choice is was - the K-1. But very often, I do not need the very best. Rather, it is surprising how much of the time, the K-3, with the right lens, is perfect for the occasion. To me, they complement each other well and the AF of the new k3 is much faster.

01-02-2022, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I use my K-1 exclusively for portraiture and macro photos. The K-1 ekes out the most IQ out of the FF prime lenses. I use my K-3 III for everything else, especially when AF efficiency helps out.
01-03-2022, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
I use my K-1 exclusively for portraiture and macro photos. The K-1 ekes out the most IQ out of the FF prime lenses. I use my K-3 III for everything else, especially when AF efficiency helps out.
I still use my K-70's or K3III for macro, but like you the K1 is my go-to for most portraits. But not all.
01-03-2022, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
1) After getting a K-3 iii - What portion of your shooting (% time/shots) were made with K-1
2) Do you carry both, or go on excursions with one or other.. if both, what bag are you using?
3) Any regrets?
I have both and enjoy using them both; the new K-3iii has not displaced the K-1 but it does help me capture moving targets more easily. The AF and associated joystick has been very well implemented IMHO.

1) My usage has been around the 50:50 mark when taken over the last 8 months
2) I have carried both but it's not normally something I'd do. Only if I thought I'd need the reach of the 55-300plm in addition to using primes.
3) Nope

It's fairly obvious from my signature line which lenses are used on which camera although the A series tend to get used on both as does the DFA100.
Then it depends on the weather. So this week we've gone on holiday on the south coast which will get a bit of a battering from the wind and be fairly wet so I've only taken APSC equipment for the WR.

You won't regret the purchase
01-05-2022, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I've been sitting here with a K-3 iii in the shopping cart of a merchants virtual store for a couple weeks now. I've been shooting K-1 exclusively since February 2017. I kept all my DA glass when I sold my K-5 IIS. I have plenty of primes, and zooms for both formats from ultra wide to tele. I'm a daily shooter - even packing my K-1 kit on business trips etc. I'm not a paid photographer - but I do sell the occasional print mainly landscapes, some commissioned portraiture, and kid sports ( I've found 6 fps a bit of limit for the K-1 and its the main consideration of acquiring to K-3 iii). I've also been enjoying birds off the front porch and on walks through the Bruce Trail and local conservation areas.

1) After getting a K-3 iii - What portion of your shooting (% time/shots) were made with K-1
2) Do you carry both, or go on excursions with one or other.. if both, what bag are you using?
3) Any regrets?

I can abide the cost, so please refrain from opinions on that aspect, its more a concern of gear collecting dust, or if they both get out in the field how you manage to carry the kit.

Thanks all for your contributions.
Your case is identical to mine (K-1 user since 2016, I had a K-5IIs I loved that I sold and bought a second K-1) and I decided to buy the K-3iii as an action camera for my aviation and nature photography which is a superb 1.5X TC paired to my long lenses. My experience so far answering your questions.

1) When I need a fast camera the K-3iii is my choice. I was kind of worried about the IQ of an APS-C especially since I was spoiled by the excellent IQ of the K-1, but the K-3iii offers great IQ too. The K-1 remains top but you definitely won't regret using the K-3iii or not taking the K-1. To answer your question ~67% (2 of 3 times) I use the K-3iii. The K-1 remains excellent but the K-3iii is more fun to use as a more complete camera.

2) I usually take both with me. If I want to have a small kit with me I take only the K-1 or the K-3iii with the FA 43 (and sometimes the other 31 and 77 limiteds too). I use a bag that anyone should have in my opinion, no matter how many different bags you have. It's that good and comes in a low price: Case Logic SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack - Case Logic
3) No regrets. The K-3iii is the best DSLR camera Pentax ever released to me... until probably the K-1iii.
01-05-2022, 04:20 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

I have a KP, K3III and 2 K1's.... all I can say is I like to have available 2 cameras but.... now days... it really doesn't matter what one I grab for most shots.... sad but true.

I favour the KP for the motor bike.... and two slot cameras for other peoples event type shots.... but... now I just enjoy any pentax camera and a lens or two and some tranquility. I think I'm finally arrived at being old.

Anyway... my old man advice is one camera and one motor bike.... and go from there.
01-05-2022, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I have a KP, K3III and 2 K1's.... <snip>
now I just enjoy any pentax camera and a lens or two and some tranquility. I think I'm finally arrived at being old.

Anyway... my old man advice is one camera and one motor bike.... and go from there.
Mom won’t let me buy a motor bike

The K3 Mark iii is on its way.
01-05-2022, 06:46 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My mother wouldn’t either when I was younger. Then my retinal detachments meant that any future wreak would be very dangerous to my vision… so no bike for me.
01-05-2022, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

It is very good camera and I have found that I only K-1 when I need more resolution or less DoF. All the rest is shot with K-3III. I love it. Take some time to adjust User modes for different situations and AF modes, Perhaps even ES in one?

It is a lot of fun coming at you soon