Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
Do you have any financial data declaring that the K200D is a market failure? Or are you just pulling things out of thin air?
The product life time says it all!

12-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
rh is just a rumor monger, ignore it.
Anyone remember the old computer ad with the fellow driving away from the store with his new "alpha 2000" compute (or whatever). Smiling that he just bought the latest and greatest, only to drive past a billboard being pasted up w/ the "NEW alpha 3000". As he drives by scowling. So goes digital camera nowadays.
As to economics, I'm pretty sure nobodys selling all their stock at the moment.
Having a camera discontinued in Japan and not to the rest of the world (for the time being) is good sense to eliminate stock yet sell the new products "at home". Pentax is Japanese. Their primary loyalty/market is to Japan. They are not adverse to discontinueing a lens "internationally" but it stays available in the home market.
Things are generally more complicated then RH understands.
K200d may not have been a grand success (probably more to do w/ firmware and the price drop of the k20 will make the k200 a hard sell)
but there is no indication of a grand failure either. Seems to imply more of a lukewarm reception. As Mr. Suzuki said:
According to the monthly shipment statistics issued by the CIPA, until September they were riding on the crest of a wave and shipping of newly manufactured items continued relatively briskly one after the other, but around summer, in-store sales clearly started slowing down with lost momentum, as seen in the year-on-year increases of 15% or 20% they had enjoyed up to then. Our sales also decreased significantly on a year-on-year basis, with accumulated stocks and production and marketing carried out while keeping the market conditions in mind. Another factor was price; there was a significant drop in unit prices. The decline in the unit prices of compact digital cameras had a particularly grave impact, given the advent
of a new low-end product at 79 dollars finally realized. This unit price decline was
damaging to us, in terms of both sales and profits.・ Essentially, the products we are now producing and selling were developed last summer or autumn, with a roadmap that lacked strategy in my view. As I said in the previous meeting, we remade a completely new roadmap for the next fiscal year in accordance with the "scrap & build" policy: creating unique cameras of a new and different field, and releasing and commencing the marketing of interchangeable lenses at the same time as new cameras. As for new products for this year, a new single-lens reflex camera K-m model (an entry level high-end model) was launched about two. Next year, we are planning to launch some three types, including minor design change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras. With a desire to offer cameras which will demonstrate our advantages, as announced in the Photokina held in Germany, we will relaunch ourselves next year as a manufacturer of all-weather cameras which are strong outdoors, highly water-resistnat, splash-proof, and dustproof, small and light, easily portable and tough (durable).

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-11-2008 at 08:25 AM.
12-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
No, it doesn't. If it has been discontinued - and you're assuming a lot already - that could simply be in response to the release of the K2000 - something that had been planned all along. Or it could indicate exactly the opposite of what you think - it may suggest it has actually sold so well they're in danger of clearing their stock out before the successor comes out, and they're not prepared to manufacture more. Basically, without an announcement, you have no idea.
12-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the Pentax Japan (English version) website, the K200D is NOT discontinued. Digital SLR Camera Lineup (Discontinued Model) : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX

12-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
Perhaps that should read "average marketing lifetime".
Quite right! Fixed...
12-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keith.s Quote
...I find it strange that Pentax has zero presence here in Qatar, a country with the second highest per capita income. Even with the current financial crisis (which has had little effect here) people here have 6 figure disposable incomes and wouldn't think twice before throwing around a couple of thousand for a decent camera. Why don't Pentax tap this market? and similar ones in this region.

I know where I'll be moving to...
now I just have to convince my wife
12-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
Do you have any financial data declaring that the K200D is a market failure? Or are you just pulling things out of thin air?
I suspect it was pulled out of somewhere else...
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I know where I'll be moving to...
now I just have to convince my wife
At least she can drive there. Just don't go off the peninsula
Women can legally drive in Qatar, whereas they may not in Saudi Arabia and there is a strong emphasis in equality and human rights brought by the HRA.

The country has undergone a period of liberalization and modernisation during the reign of the current Emir, Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, who came to power in 1995. Under his rule, Qatar became the first Arab country (Second in Persian Gulf after Iran white revolution)in the Persian Gulf where women gained the right to vote in 1999[20][21] as well as holding senior positions in government. Also, women can dress mostly as they please in public (although in practice local Qatari women generally don the black abaya). Before the liberalisation, it was taboo for men to wear shorts in public. The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, public bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs, much like in the UAE, though the number of establishments has yet to equal that of UAE. Non-Muslim expatriates resident in Qatar are eligible to receive liquor permits permitting them to purchase alcohol for personal use through Qatar Distribution Company, the exclusive importer and retailer for alcohol in Qatar. Qatar has further been liberalised due to the 15th Asian Games, but is cautious of becoming too liberal in their law. Overall Qatar has yet to reach the more western laws of UAE or Bahrain, and though plans are being made for more development, the government is cautious.

In common with other Gulf countries, sponsorship laws exist in Qatar. These laws have been widely described as akin to modern-day slavery[22]. The Sponsorship system (Kafeel or Kafala) exists throughout the GCC and means that a worker (not a tourist) may not enter the country without having a kafeel, cannot leave without the kafeel's permission (an Exit Permit must first be awarded by the sponsor, or kafeel), and the sponsor has the right to ban entering the employee from entering Qatar within 2-5 years of his first departure. Many sponsors do not allow the transfer of one employee to another sponsor.

Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Inactive Account

This Topic Reminds Me Of A Fuji Thread Awhile Back

A few years ago,many Fuji owners were almost crying because the "beloved" F31d point and shoot was no longer being made. Prices for them skyrocketed to almost $400 in some cases and that was for "used" Are most people that loyal to a certain model camera that they can go apes**t when it is no longer being made? Everything nowadays and time before that seems to be "new and improved" as a sales gimmick. How about "old and reliable"? it works for me. I bet in 2 or 3 years a topic will appear on here reading "Should I get a K70 or wait for the K80" it's bound to happen.
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #25

I followed RH's link to the Japanese website... I could see the K200D listed, but since I cannot read Japanese, I couldn't confirm that it was indeed discontinued. I followed the links to the english version of the site and still cannot confirm that it was discontinued either: Digital SLR Camera Lineup : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX. So which is it? Is it only discontinued for Japanese speaking people?
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I suspect it was pulled out of somewhere else...
I have heard a rumor that seems to have some substance. It is from B&S News Tokyo, Japan...Here is the quote:

"...Tokyo Dec 11, 2008. Pentax Forums have announced that starting in January, 2009 the "RH" system employed throughout the Pentax Forums for over two years will be definitively DISCONTINUED. There will be no plans of replacing the "RH" system due to it's obvious obsolescence..."
12-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I have heard a rumor that seems to have some substance. It is from B&S News Tokyo, Japan...Here is the quote:

"...Tokyo Dec 11, 2008. Pentax Forums have announced that starting in January, 2009 the "RH" system employed throughout the Pentax Forums for over two years will be definitively DISCONTINUED. There will be no plans of replacing the "RH" system due to it's obvious obsolescence..."
I hear the system focused great in darkness but couldn't see the light of day....
sorry, couldn't resist........
12-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Ya you also said that K200D users wouldn't be in the market for DA* lenses right? Well I got two of them so I must be a statistical aberration right? Oh I forgot you don't have any kind of statistics to back any of your claims.