Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

K200D Discontinued

Here's RiceHighs take on why K200D was discontinued - RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K200D Discontinued

Now that we know it was the Pentax Webmaster, not the Sales and Marketing dept. who decided to pull the K200D, and promptly correct the error, would RiceHigh please blog about Pentax webdesign and such.

Cheers,
Keith

12-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why does this idi...umm person hate Pentax so much and why devote so much time and energy into hating a product? It's more than my pea brain can understand.

QuoteQuote:
it has been proven that the K200D is undoubtedly just a market failure and with such a very short product lifetime. In contrast, the elder Nikon D60 and Canon 450D are still here and they are still selling like hot cakes, aren't they? Why? Well, this market failure did not have no trace, just look at what I reported in July about an Internet Poll which showed that the K200D was the least popular or just the least wanted entry level DSLR body, and that did verify once again that the K200D was just a fault and mistake of Pentax/Hoya in the very beginning.
Bull! More like a failure to market at all. Pentax/Hoya seem content not being the top dog. They seem content being a niche brand. Those that have experienced Pentax generally like them and stick with them as long as their needs are fulfilled.

Would the all knowing RH please predict the next 4 Super Bowl winners?
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't even know that K200D was disontinued... well anyway, RH doesn't surprise me anymore, I've learnt to expect even unthinkable from him...
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I didn't even know that K200D was disontinued... well anyway, RH doesn't surprise me anymore, I've learnt to expect even unthinkable from him...
It's not discontinued. It was a web master error, read the first post again, slowly.

Last edited by Conan; 12-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
12-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
It's not discontinued. It was a web master error, read the first post again, slowly.
Yes, it must be the webmaster's fault!

??????????????????????????PENTAX (K200D is here on the discontinued list!)

Digital SLR Camera Lineup (Discontinued Model) : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX (The K200D has been intentionally deleted after people widely discussed the issue at English forum)
12-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Figures that you would post here! :-D

I believe that many different sources claimed this as a mistake from Pentax that hasn't been corrected yet. Canon does the same thing all the time.
12-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I believe that many different sources claimed this as a mistake from Pentax that hasn't been corrected yet. Canon does the same thing all the time.
Or, in the other way..

12-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What do you mean?
12-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, comparing the EN webpage with the JP webpage, is it safe to assume that K200D has been discontinued in Japan, but remains available elsewhere?

Keith
12-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
it has been proven that the K200D is undoubtedly just a market failure and with such a very short product lifetime. In contrast, the elder Nikon D60 and Canon 450D are still here and they are still selling like hot cakes, aren't they? Why? Well, this market failure did not have no trace, just look at what I reported in July about an Internet Poll which showed that the K200D was the least popular or just the least wanted entry level DSLR body, and that did verify once again that the K200D was just a fault and mistake of Pentax/Hoya in the very beginning.
Huh?

D60 = elder?

Weren't both the D60 and K200D announced Winter 2008?

Now, this being almost winter of 2009 and the average market life of a consumer SLR being 1-1.5 years, that sounds about the right interval to announce an updated model.

Regarding market success...I don't doubt that Nikon and Canon sell more of their low end cameras than Pentax (duh)...however...

I was in my local Ritz Camera yesterday morning and the word there is that sales are brisk for the K200D and on a par with the D60. I was shopping for a friend (Christmas gift for daughter) and had been tasked with comparing the K200D with the D60. The salesperson was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about both cameras

Initially, I was biased towards the D60. I had helped a coworker visiting from Europe with a "tourist" purchase this last fall and was impressed with the camera at the time. I considered it to be pretty much the ideal solution for a beginner with smaller hands. Having the two units side-by-side allowed for an interesting comparison.

In our market the price is equivalent for a two-lens kit (assuming VR upgrade for the D60). Both cameras were a pleasure to hold in the hand. If my hands were smaller, it would have been even better. The D60 is smaller, but not by much. Weight and balance seemed about equal.

I had a SD card with me and was able to take a series of test shots with each unit. Strangely, although the AF on the D60 was impressively quiet, it was also amazing slow. Reminded me of molasses. It was weird to have it silently hunting for focus in the brightly lit showroom. In/out...In/out... The K200D seemed a little quicker than my K10D and definitely faster than the D60. My test shots showed a consistently snappier image from the Pentax. The Pentax SR/VR also seemed to be more effective. Both cameras had the standard kit zoom.

As I was snapping away, I continued to ask the clerk questions:

Question: "Does the D60 have DOF preview?"
Answer: "No"

Question: "Are you able to change AF points?"
Answer: "Choice of three points on the D60. Choice of nine points on the K200D"

Question: "What lenses are supported for AF on the D60"
Answer: "AF-S and AF-I lenses only, focus confirm for all others."

Question: "Legacy lens support?"
Answer: "Limited for the D60; all screw and K-mount for the K200D, but with potential metering issues for older lenses."

And so it went...

On the plus side for the D60, I was impressed with the improved feel of the current VR kit lens. In contrast to earlier models, it felt more like a tool and less like a toy. They even improved the nasty manual focus ring (barely).

After about 15 minutes I had pretty much formed an opinion. Based on features and bang for the buck, the D60 is not really in the same league. It is a great camera, but just does not have the same value as the K200D. I did not even bother looking at the Canon. Seen it before...was not impressed. It seems the good people at Consumer Reports felt much the same way.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-11-2008 at 02:23 PM.
12-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
sorry, I misunderstood it...
12-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and the average lifetime of a consumer SLR being 1-1.5 years...
Perhaps that should read "average marketing lifetime".
12-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey ... my K10D would be classed as discontinued ... but it still doesn't stop me from using it.
I actually take photos of objects/people/etc. And not pull BS from thin air about a "competitor's product".
12-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, it must be the webmaster's fault!

??????????????????????????PENTAX (K200D is here on the discontinued list!)

Digital SLR Camera Lineup (Discontinued Model) : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX (The K200D has been intentionally deleted after people widely discussed the issue at English forum)
Do you have any financial data declaring that the K200D is a market failure? Or are you just pulling things out of thin air?
12-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think Pentax should go out of their way to promote their products more creatively. Try to appeal to the lower end of the market. When I first got my K200D an lot of Canikon admirers were awed by it. I had no trouble whatsoever selling it off (so I could buy the K20). Since then I've been asked by quite a few co-workers and friends where they could buy one for themselves. I have to tell them to go the Amazon way, or go to Dubai to get one.

I find it strange that Pentax has zero presence here in Qatar, a country with the second highest per capita income. Even with the current financial crisis (which has had little effect here) people here have 6 figure disposable incomes and wouldn't think twice before throwing around a couple of thousand for a decent camera. Why don't Pentax tap this market? and similar ones in this region.