Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

800$ vs 8000$

Just for funů
First one: Pentax K20D, with DA 40, at f 8.0, in Bright Mode (no PP at all!). Just playing at the office with the remote control of the flash (360). The image is interpolated with G.F. (default settings, no sharpening!) to 6.000x4.000 pixels to match D3x output.

Second one: One of the first samples of the D3x. ISO 100, at f 5.6 (I suppose the lens uses was the 24-70).

Both at 100%.. Both from the center of the frame, at the focus point.

Comments (except for the bad make-up artist for my male modelů
The make-up as a noise reduction system... Interesting thought)?

Attached Images

12-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Its looking like the D3X will have a very short production run...
12-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

exif data is missing

this is your FIRST post

f8 vs f5.6

40limited vs "some lens" at "unknown" focal length

extrapolation

its is very obvious that the supposed K20D shot way more light and direct flash, which will make any image off any camera sharper

so, i'm going to call a bluff on this one, a poor comparison and a waste of our time.
12-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yikes on the bright mode with portraits!! Looks like Velvia on stero´ds....

12-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It's never about the cost of equipment....rather its the skill of the photographer
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
It's never about the cost of equipment....rather its the skill of the photographer
bullocks
12-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tppentax Quote
Comments [...] ?
I'd definitely rather date the second one.
12-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Several months ago (RH), I had this same conversation with someone else who occasionally pops up here. Unless you shoot the same subject, with the same lighting, from the same distance, with the same settings, and same focal length, comparisons are very subject to misinterpretation.

12-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Several months ago (RH), I had this same conversation with someone else who occasionally pops up here. Unless you shoot the same subject, with the same lighting, from the same distance, with the same settings, and same focal length, comparisons are very subject to misinterpretation.

Quite true. It also goes to show that we've come a long way with technology where differences are so subtle. My vote goes for "it's the photographer, not the equipment".

...but I'm still a Pentaxian. I paid a lot less for my K10D than for the competition...and got more as well. And money is not subtle.
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
bullocks
It's never about the cost of equipment....rather its the bullocks of the photographer
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
It's never about the cost of equipment....rather its the bullocks of the photographer
okay, go get me some underwater shots using a holga, go, now, hell use your bathrub to photograph a rock if an ocean/lake is too far away.
12-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

okay, go get me some underwater shots using a holga, go, now, hell use your bathrub to photograph a rock if an ocean/lake is too far away.
Well, assuming you don't mind it being a one time thing, I'd imagine that a Holga would take one picture underwater.
12-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Well, assuming you don't mind it being a one time thing, I'd imagine that a Holga would take one picture underwater.
with the sharpness and clarity that would satisfy a national geographic 2 page spread?

seriously now, i can go all day long coming up with such (silly) examples of where equipment is equally responsible for the final product as any photography skill.

the better question is the marginal increase in IQ (and/or) utility worth X amount of dollars, and thats something only the photographer making the decision can answer.
12-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
apples and oranges, once again....
I don't really know why people justl like putting other makes down by comparing quite incomparable things...
as for the gooshin vs others: it's about both: money and bullocks IMO, even best photographer would have hard time to satisfy national geographic with holga, but I believe some would succeed in some "arty" way. On the other hand, even chimp (and no I don't mean average user, but the monkey!) may have the luck of pressing shutter button of D3x in the right moment and letting camera do all it's job as it's suppossed to (at least for $8000).
So, IMHO, to get decent shots, you need both. Decent camera, and decent photographer...
BR
12-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bullocks
bollocks to bullocks. (Can't see what a beast like a bullock has to do with anything )