Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2022, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
dewolf

thar she goes

well after spending days tweaking the old K3 and Da* 300 f4 I was off to do more, yes more, Osprey shots.
Loading everything I need into the beast, an old Nissan Armada.
Left the camera on the hood while I put my other things in the passenger side.
Reached for the camera, and that she was going, down the hood, and I had no chance at all to catch it.
It left a dent in the front lens bezel, but would not focus, no motor hum, nothing, and the camera had the dreaded F--- flashing.
Looks like the mount was pulled loose from the camera body, no other lenses work on it now.
Knowing what it takes and costs for repairs and the trip to Japan, it is retired.
Granted the lens was old, and shot over 400,000 images an 3 cameras, but the shutter count on the K3 was only 275,000. she has years left in her.
Due to the lack of Pentax repair options in the states I may be shopping for another brand.
But I still have my K5IIs and a 15mm and 50mm macro lens to at least keep me busy

RIP K3-300mm, whom were known as Madelyn and John

01-03-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this - we've all had close calls or #epicfail disasters. Maybe buy a winning lottery ticket and get a K3 III ?
01-03-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Sorry to hear this - we've all had close calls or #epicfail disasters. Maybe buy a winning lottery ticket and get a K3 III ?
If lol.
I will miss bird shots for sure. On my income I could have replaced one or the other, but never both.
I thought about getting something I can get repaired in the stses, but I love the Pentax IQ. I don't know If I could settle for less.
01-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Claim on your household insurance?

01-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Claim on your household insurance?
if it was my house, and the deductible wasn't outrageous I would lol.
Great idea though.
Well if the owner passes on,He's leaving me the house lol,
01-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the excuse you need to give your spouse so you can get your new K-3-3? ��
01-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Is this the excuse you need to give your spouse so you can get your new K-3-3? ��
Huh? Yeah I don't have a spouse or I would simply be in the poor house forever. But I do have to pay rent, electricity, gasoline, blah, blah blah and on 700 a month it doesn't go far. But I actually was able to get the lens to function on the old K5 but as we all know the k5's out of focus was absolutely dreadful and the AF buttons in the wrong place. But I will make do

01-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you shop for another brand, how much would it cost you to have the same features and have the same durability (it wasn't the camera's fault that it failed, like you said it still had a lot of life left in her)? And the lenses, how much would they cost?

The camera is worth about 400... if you were with another brand, for this kind of fix, do you think they'd charge less than 400?

Just curious.
01-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the lens works on the k-5 and not the k-3 at least you only need to repair the k-3 or replace it. Mpb has three k-3 units at $349 each. One has 26k shutter count. One has 50k. One I wasn’t clear on. Food for thought. If you want long reach and cheap I will be selling my da 55-300 but it’s the old model and it can be hard for birding. Other options would be m43 but even a used body and a consumer lens like the 45-175 f4-5.6 isn’t going to be cheaper.
01-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #10
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If you shop for another brand, how much would it cost you to have the same features and have the same durability (it wasn't the camera's fault that it failed, like you said it still had a lot of life left in her)? And the lenses, how much would they cost?

The camera is worth about 400... if you were with another brand, for this kind of fix, do you think they'd charge less than 400?

Just curious.
I only reason to switch to another brand would be to have the ability of local repair. Nobody around here seems to work on Pentax simply because they can't get the parts at this point. After examining the lens and the camera, the lens is actually functional other than a dent in the front where the hood mount goes. The lens works on the K5 although the K5 doesn't focus with a tinkers wheel as that's typical for the K52S but the lens does work and it does focus and it doesn't seem to have any problems. The camera on the other hand, the metal ring that is the mount for the lens to mount into has pulled loose and so therefore none of the contacts are making contact. If I can determine that it's not bent and I can epoxy the holes and reuse those same holes and get this to stay put then the camera may be salvageable. Right now it's not getting any data from the lens because the contacts of course are all the skew. But no I agree it would cost me probably 2500 to 3,000 to get a quite used other brand. I wouldn't be shocked at that and I wouldn't expect a long life from it either. I would quite frankly prefer to have a Pentax. I've got several other lenses that are made for Pentax and they work great and I love the IQ that Pentax gives me. I have had so many people oogle over my photographs and they always ask me. What are you using to shoot with and I tell him it's a Pentax and I constantly amazed people. When I'm out of the rookery I could walk out in the rain and take pictures and they're all hiding under the shelter so it gives me a smile. I enjoy my Pentax but I definitely would want to save up for the k3 iii as I have been told it has a much better focusing and tracking system and since birds are what I do most I could very much appreciate that. But at $2,000 that's not going to happen this year and probably not next:-) but as somebody else said maybe I'll win the lottery lol. I don't know anyone that has quite frankly
01-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
I only reason to switch to another brand would be to have the ability of local repair. Nobody around here seems to work on Pentax simply because they can't get the parts at this point. After examining the lens and the camera, the lens is actually functional other than a dent in the front where the hood mount goes. The lens works on the K5 although the K5 doesn't focus with a tinkers wheel as that's typical for the K52S but the lens does work and it does focus and it doesn't seem to have any problems. The camera on the other hand, the metal ring that is the mount for the lens to mount into has pulled loose and so therefore none of the contacts are making contact. If I can determine that it's not bent and I can epoxy the holes and reuse those same holes and get this to stay put then the camera may be salvageable. Right now it's not getting any data from the lens because the contacts of course are all the skew. But no I agree it would cost me probably 2500 to 3,000 to get a quite used other brand. I wouldn't be shocked at that and I wouldn't expect a long life from it either. I would quite frankly prefer to have a Pentax. I've got several other lenses that are made for Pentax and they work great and I love the IQ that Pentax gives me. I have had so many people oogle over my photographs and they always ask me. What are you using to shoot with and I tell him it's a Pentax and I constantly amazed people. When I'm out of the rookery I could walk out in the rain and take pictures and they're all hiding under the shelter so it gives me a smile. I enjoy my Pentax but I definitely would want to save up for the k3 iii as I have been told it has a much better focusing and tracking system and since birds are what I do most I could very much appreciate that. But at $2,000 that's not going to happen this year and probably not next:-) but as somebody else said maybe I'll win the lottery lol. I don't know anyone that has quite frankly
I’m seeing a few k3-3’s pop up closer to $1600 but it is still expensive I agree. $350 doesn’t seem bad for a k-3 in good working condition from mpb so keep that in mind. I agree the mount could be fixed on yours. But mount alignment is quite critical. As handy as I am I am not sure I’d be up for fixing that myself. I’d be constantly checking and second guessing myself on images (is that soft on one side because I didn’t get the mount right?) and it would drive me nuts.
01-03-2022, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

If you're taking good pictures, you would be taking good pictures with other pieces of equipment as well, as long as you get good glass like the Pentax glass that you have. That means if you go Canon you'd get Canon L lenses, the good Sony lenses go for a pretty penny as well.

Would that gear be as tough as your Pentax gear? Would an L lens or a Sony G lens survive the fall that your 300mm lens survived? I honestly don't know, but I think the L lenses would be pretty tough. Not so sure about the Sony's.

Your K-3 with about 275,000 clicks would be worth how much in the used market? Chances are people wouldn't pay much more than 200 dollars for it due to the high shutter count. So that's what you are out, basically - and you're also out from having a good quality camera. While you make your decision, there's that K-3 at mpb.com with 26,000 shutter actuations for 349 shipped, that should help you at least keep going while you decide what to do next - unless you want to shoot with the K-5IIs for a while...

It sounds like the K-3III would be perfect for your use...
01-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for your “loss”... I hope you get it fixed. The above mentioned offer sounds very good. Although my first thought was “shoot with the K-5II and save your money and time till you get your mind set on your current needs.
01-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #14
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Sorry for your “loss”... I hope you get it fixed. The above mentioned offer sounds very good. Although my first thought was “shoot with the K-5II and save your money and time till you get your mind set on your current needs.
think I would prefer the III as the AF is better
01-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I only reason to switch to another brand would be to have the ability of local repair.
Do tell. Local repair for that sort of damage generally means they will ship it to the authorized repair facility and pass the cost back to you along with a nominal service charge.

I suggest a K-3II, if you can find one.

Steve