Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Giveaway winner!

K20D vertical strips

Hi,
some time ago, i posted on this subject
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24253-k20d-dithering-problem.html

i returned my k20 to pentax to have it checked
they returned it to me saying it was working and they couldnt reproduce the problem

i took it out last weekend, and it did it again.
now, I thought it was because of the cold temperature
however last w.e. it was only -5 cel
i do not expect the k20 to not work at that temperature

i'm left wondering if it is not a firmware problem at some point (reading the sensor or converting raw to jpeg) because of the very regular vertical (in landascape that is) stripes all over the image

so now what can i do? is there any pentax engineer i could contact directly to try te debug and sort that out?

or would i have to sell everything on ebay and move on to canon niikon or sony?

12-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

first of all i would advise against selling faulty equipment on ebay

second, who repaired your system? i would write back and tell them that they failed and need to have a talk with their repair people.
12-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
first of all i would advise against selling faulty equipment on ebay

second, who repaired your system? i would write back and tell them that they failed and need to have a talk with their repair people.
And send some files back with the camera so they know what they are looking for.
12-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Had the same thing, they couldnīt reproduce it either but I got it replaced. It apperead randomly and on different SD cards. There are some other guys who had the same thing and got it replaced, I noticed here and on dprevirew. I think you should send it back and demand a new body.

12-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
i don't understand why pentax didnt just ship me another k20, i had provided more than 20 pics with the problem
anyhow the shop i bought the k20 is supposed handle the problem now arguing with pentax
i hope i'll get a replace soon

thanks for your answers

P
12-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
@debbie

when you had the problem, did you identify any particular conditions?
in my case, it seems it's allways the first shot of a series of shots
and it essentially happens in snowy landscape
12-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You never did say in this post or the previous one if you tried a different card.

12-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by phler2 Quote
@debbie

when you had the problem, did you identify any particular conditions?
in my case, it seems it's allways the first shot of a series of shots
and it essentially happens in snowy landscape
No, it was random as far as I can tell. Indoors, outdoors with and without flash etc.
12-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Same case there

Have you seen this report by another user, who is a pro photographer, before?

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D has VPN under Cold Temperature?

QuoteOriginally posted by phler2 Quote
Hi,
some time ago, i posted on this subject
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24253-k20d-dithering-problem.html

i returned my k20 to pentax to have it checked
they returned it to me saying it was working and they couldnt reproduce the problem

i took it out last weekend, and it did it again.
now, I thought it was because of the cold temperature
however last w.e. it was only -5 cel
i do not expect the k20 to not work at that temperature

i'm left wondering if it is not a firmware problem at some point (reading the sensor or converting raw to jpeg) because of the very regular vertical (in landascape that is) stripes all over the image

so now what can i do? is there any pentax engineer i could contact directly to try te debug and sort that out?

or would i have to sell everything on ebay and move on to canon niikon or sony?
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this VPN thingy also known as "banding" in some posts?

From what I understand from this thread, this "banding" will only happen at cold temperature? So banding will "not" happen in other situations?
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience w/ K100D!

Hi,

I don't have K20D,
but just want to share my experience having my K100D replaced.

Some of the rep won't admit this but some will do,
so it depends on who you're talking to.
I'm talking about Pentax USA in Colorado.

One of the rep told me that if I send the camera until 3 times and they can't fix it,
that's when they'll replace my camera.
Your experience is kind of similar with mine.
First time, when I sent mine, it came back fine for 1 month only and started to show horizontal banding again (worse than before). So I sent it back.
This second time, they can't find the same problem but when returned, the camera came w/ a note saying that they replaced the sensor.
Somehow I don't think they did anything coz the camera came back w/ the same setup as I sent it.
So, the third time I asked the camera again and requested to speak to the manager in charge.
He said that they'll try to fix it first. If they can't, then they'll send me a replacement.
Apparently, they can't so they send me a brand new one.

Hope this helps.
12-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Giveaway winner!

Original Poster
hi people

thanks for your answers,

yes, i tried different cards, happens as well

yes what i'm having is exactly what's described in
K20D has VPN under Cold Temperature?

yes it might be only in cold temperatures, but please pentax, -5celcuis is not that cold
and that camera should work without any problems at that temperature and even colder
otherwise why would i have bought a weather proof dust sealed camera if not for outdoors?

yes it is also called banding in some post
thought it seems different than what dpreview found in banding at high iso
however, it might be correlated to that problem too, it does seem this problem happens on my k20. yet, it is not as obvious.
the banding i get are systematic vertical "whitened" stripes about 4 pixels wide (2 whitened 2 normal or perhaps darkened), over all the picture
i cant reproduce the problem systematically though
it happens whit cold temperature, but randomly, perhaps 10% of my images if not more

*Pentax you better replace my camera right away*
12-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #13

I found that my K10D records the temperature of the camera body with the EXIF data. Probably the K20 does too.

That could be very useful evidence after the pictures are taken. The idea that the first picture may be bad and then later ones OK suggests that the camera was cold from the case for the first picture and then warmed up in your hands.

Anyway the EXIF data might just have the temperature evidence for that?
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow! This problem report frightens me.

I haven't used my K20D in the cold yet, but plan to very soon. It frightens me because I normally do a lot of cold weather photography.

How bad is it? Can you attach a sample of the problem and describe how to reproduce it. Can it be corrected [easily] in post production?

I will go out this weekend to see if I have the same issue.

What firmware are you using?

I still have version 1.00. I will run this test before / after I upgrade to 1.01.

Doug
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
MnR

Hi,

You are using the camera in the cold weather. How are you keeping the camera and batteries warm?

Are you just carrying the camera outside exposed to the cold? Try keeping the camera inside of your coat between you and your coat.

I do this when shooting the ski jumping in Feburary when the temps sometimes hit -45 dergrees F.

MnR