Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #31
cls

Original Poster
Having done dizzying amounts of reading and watching and searching for actual images to parse camera capability and skill (and I am so grateful to all here who have provided links to their wonderful albums, and their experiences), it is seeming to come down to, for my use, an inclination toward FF for better DOF/big aperture as the FPS and autofocus seems very comparable across new bodies, excepting the K1. What a conundrum.

01-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cls Quote
Having done dizzying amounts of reading and watching and searching for actual images to parse camera capability and skill (and I am so grateful to all here who have provided links to their wonderful albums, and their experiences), it is seeming to come down to, for my use, an inclination toward FF for better DOF/big aperture as the FPS and autofocus seems very comparable across new bodies, excepting the K1. What a conundrum.

Yes, there are lots of choices.

There are 3 Dslr bodies I would consider IF you dont choose Pentax.

Firstly, the Nikon D850 considered the best Dslr produced so far.Its FF.

For crop.

Secondly,the D500 U$ 1500 new but the cards cost more than SD.Faster buffer than Pentax by a long way, but you may not need it.

I dont own any Nikon glass so I cant comment but theres plenty with good reputations.All available used.

Thirdly,If I was going Dslr right now to replace what you have in Canon.THE 90d has high resolution,is fast enough with dual pixel AF and top class video.The 15-85 EFs is very very good(L glass level but Canon dont label L on their crop lenses).The L 70-300 is excellent.A fast 50f1.8 is 100bux.All available used too at reasonable prices.I own all those lenses.Also own most of the glass you own.

CanNik have the options of the Tamron 18-400 as well.An excellent SuperZoom from all reports.Its a crop lens.

Last edited by surfar; 01-25-2022 at 01:58 PM.
01-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #33
cls

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
.I own all those lenses.Also own most of the glass you own.
It is so, so helpful hearing the insights of those who have multi-brand experience. Not really helping me choose, but I am finding it really helpful for learning!
01-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . Not really helping me choose,. . .
Are we supposed to be helpful in that way ???

I will have to remember that

Glad we could provide you with good information

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-25-2022 at 04:46 PM.
02-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #35
cls

Original Poster
My final question to the forum on this topic. I've really gotten into the weeds in my research, and am finding that my dream camera doesn't (yet) exist A FF fast FPS good AF Pentax, so it will be a matter of waiting or compromising.

I am really waffling over APS-C (the K3iii the clear winner for me even among other brands, for a lot of combined reasons), or FF (hard to justify larger size and changing brands, but the mirrorless FF a possibility. I can go to a local camera store to SEE a mirrorless FF but not rent one.

For those of you who shoot wildlife and dog sports and who use largest possible aperture/like background blur and have used both the K3iii and mirrorless FF, I would really love to hear your advice, if you could have ONLY ONE, say the K3iii or the Nikon Z6ii which would you have and why?

Last edited by cls; 02-03-2022 at 02:48 PM.
02-04-2022, 07:04 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3III should have been given a new name, IMHO. It's not just an upgrade of the K3 original.
I do notice a difference between the K3II and K3III when doing the same photography. In the field I'll use the III with my macro and II with my telephoto, but this time of year the III gets the telephoto for walks along the river etc.

They're both a big upgrade from older models, though..

You'll see a lot on my Flickr, including a recent series of an eagle pulling a small-mouthed bass out of the river.
02-05-2022, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #37
cls

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You'll see a lot on my Flickr, including a recent series of an eagle pulling a small-mouthed bass out of the river.
Nice moment! Thank you for sharing your photos, and thoughts. It is helping me wade through my indecision!

02-05-2022, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
K3III should have been given a new name, IMHO. It's not just an upgrade of the K3 original.
I do notice a difference between the K3II and K3III when doing the same photography. In the field I'll use the III with my macro and II with my telephoto, but this time of year the III gets the telephoto for walks along the river etc.

They're both a big upgrade from older models, though..

Some amazing shots on your Flickr site - stunning. Congratulations.
02-07-2022, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #39
cls

Original Poster
Well. For a lot of reasons, and after MUCH research, I have settled o the K3iii! The order has been placed, and now I just must wait for it to get here, along with a used DA*200 f2.8 that I couldn't pass up (though I am watching for a 70-200 f2.8!). Thank you everyone, for the input. I am super excited to see where this can take me, while I wait for the K1iii! I'll have to clear off the shelf and hopefully find a home for my K1000 and a few lenses in the near future.
02-07-2022, 01:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
k1ii is the best camera that pentax makes.
02-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well. For a lot of reasons, and after MUCH research, I have settled o the K3iii! The order has been placed, and now I just must wait for it to get here, along with a used DA*200 f2.8 that I couldn't pass up (though I am watching for a 70-200 f2.8!). Thank you everyone, for the input. I am super excited to see where this can take me, while I wait for the K1iii! I'll have to clear off the shelf and hopefully find a home for my K1000 and a few lenses in the near future.
Great choice. I've had the KP for several years, and now the K-1 II for a couple of years. Both are great cameras. I still have my K20D in perfect condition, and use it on occasion, especially for Fall color shots due to its extra-rich color performance, as well as my K-5 IIs- still a fine performer within its limitations. I use my KP most often and definitely when needs are more in the telephoto range. The K-1 II is my go-to when within the wide angle to short tele range, and when compact carrying is not a particular consideration.

As to a fast 50mm for portraits, etc. the DA 50mm f/1.8 plastic fantastic is really quite good, or a used "F" 50mm f/1.7 is a great choice as well. I've seen some in tip-top shape at reasonable cost.

I do understand regarding the handiness of the built-in flash for grab shots and for daylight fill use. I have and recommend the little AF 201 FG WR hot shoe flash, as it is very compact for an easy carry-along. It also has a tilt feature up for ceiling bounce or down for closeup work.

Great choice also for that DA* 200mm f/2.8 lens. I've had one for quite some years now, and it is a wonderful lens. If coupled with the DA 1.4x TC, you then also have very near to a DA* 300mm f/4 as well, without having to buy yet another (even heavier) expensive bulky lens to carry. This 200mm lens was my choice over a 70-200mm f/2.8 because it is much lighter and less bulky for use when on camera. Instead, I sometimes couple it with the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, which is remarkably compact. This combo makes for much lighter, better handling than a 70-200mm f/2.8 and you get more range at the short end. The DA* 200mm lens is actually cut for FF use, but I have yet to use mine on my K-1 II, because the weight factor is far less on my KP, even with the battery grip installed, and the KP is so close in IQ, and with that lens can produce results reasonably close to a 300mm f/2.8 on the K-1 II at a fraction of the weight and expense.

One other factor supporting your choice for the Pentax K-3 III over switching systems, you still have in-body shake reduction technology instead of in each individual lens. So when you buy even an old lens, such as that "F" 50mm f/1.7, it will automatically have SR! A very important factor, in my experience.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-07-2022 at 05:11 PM.
02-08-2022, 05:14 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
. . . As to a fast 50mm for portraits, etc. the DA 50mm f/1.8 plastic fantastic is really quite good, or a used "F" 50mm f/1.7 is a great choice as well. I've seen some in tip-top shape at reasonable cost. . . .
@cls

there is an article about the " nifty fifty "

QuoteQuote:
What’s so nifty about a fifty millimeter lens? Recently digital camera makers have begun to release 50mm lenses, Canon, Nikon and now Pentax have all released a new prime 50mm lens. There are number of reason why this renewed interest in what was consider a “normal lens” for 35mm but for most digital cameras is a short telephoto. First, 50mm lenses are usually at least two stops faster than most reasonably priced zoom lenses on the market. Second, the 50mm focal length has long been used on 35mm cameras for decades and enjoys some of the best utilized and corrected optical designs. Generally 50mm lenses are often the sharpest optics in the manufacturer's line. Third, most 50mm are very reasonable priced and are a great entry point to obtain a prime lens. Because of the APS-C sensor size a 50mm lens has a field of view of a short tele - it corresponds to a 75mm lens on a 24 x 36 mm (aka full-frame) camera.

Currently Pentax makes three different 50mm lenses: the SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, and DA 50mm F1.8. All three can be used on digital cameras and the first two are considered full-frame lenses. Although the DA 50mm is marketed as an APS-C-only lens, some speculate that it may also work on full-frame (i.e. film) cameras. There is thread concerning this issue on our forum, but until the issue is finally put to rest we will have to take the position that the lens is to be used only on APS-C digital cameras and is not full-frame compatible. . . .
Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-08-2022, 07:46 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
k1ii is the best camera that pentax makes.
The k3iii has much newer tech and it will really depend on use case. If you are photographing fast moving subjects the frame rate and reduced focusing accuracy of the k1ii when compared to the k3iii will clearly be a disadvantage. When photographing the night sky the k1ii may will be the better choice. It is hard to label a single camera as the best.
02-08-2022, 08:09 AM   #44
cls

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It is hard to label a single camera as the best.
Yes, indeed. That's why it tool me SO LONG to decide what direction to go. You should see the excel file.

---------- Post added 02-08-22 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
As to a fast 50mm for portraits, etc. the DA 50mm f/1.8 plastic fantastic is really quite good, or a used "F" 50mm f/1.7 is a great choice as well. I've seen some in tip-top shape at reasonable cost.
Thanks, Mikesbike - I am scanning the markets for a used 50mm, for sure. I have a M 50 mm f2.0 but it has suffered from a slipping focus ring and has undergone a repair following the article here on the forums, but when I just tried again to repair it, I cannot get it to stay fixed, sadly.
02-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We all now expect to see some photos once your new K3 iii is in your hands!!!

I bought my KP in the middle of 2019 and assumed at that time that that would be my last major purchase (I am 77yrs old).

But when the K3 iii came out, and I followed all the chatter about it, I ended up giving in to "I want it!!!". So in June 2021 I bought the K3 iii (after having also splurged in February on the 150-450mm zoom in February 2021!!).

Absolutely no regrets!!!!!

Last edited by K2 to K50; 02-09-2022 at 06:52 PM.