Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The statement is accurate and correct as long as it is used in all other cameras’ descriptions , as no dslr is waterproof. This disclaimer has to be stated because of real waterproof cameras, such as underwater models.
The dust proof part should be corrected though.

01-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
The statement is accurate and correct as long as it is used in all other cameras’ descriptions , as no dslr is waterproof. This disclaimer has to be stated because of real waterproof cameras, such as underwater models.
The dust proof part should be corrected though.
Nothing is correct or incorrect here. The whole discussion is pointless unless you define what waterproof or dust proof means and how to test it and what standard applies. To make it meaningful, apply a recognized standard. IP ratings are useful here.
01-10-2022, 01:07 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is less with facts than implications - the word 'unfortunately' sounds like a failing rather than an inevitability - and taking as someone who has washed salty water off a K-1 + 24-70 under a tap with no ill effects, I think that the words, though technically true, do create a false impression. There should be a middle way.
01-10-2022, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest that the real story here is the incredibility of the referenced site -- CAMERAVS (Camera versus?)

For example, for suitability to landscape photography, they rate the K-1 II at 95%, the K-1 Mk I at 100% and the K-3 II at 95%. No obvious explanation of the rating factors.

For street photography, the K-3 II gets 94% and the K-1 II 100%.

They claim that the "Pentax K-1 Mark II has a sensor area 0.4x bigger compared to Pentax K-3 II." Not sure I follow the math here.

There are other questionable entries.

Would I trust this site to give me trustworthy information? Not likely, despite the site having an apparent abundance of information and data.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-10-2022 at 02:33 PM.
01-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My weather experience is with the K-5 II, KS-2, and KP. All have been in heavy rains at times with weather resistance lenses with no problems. While taking photos during a water balloon fight my KS-2 took a direct hit with a water balloon and survived the soaking. Made a good photo too. Maybe I was just lucky.

I once had a Canon Powershot S-10 that took a dunking with saltwater. I was trying to take a photo along the seashore and not paying attention to the waves. A rogue wave completely covered both me and the camera. The camera immediately stopped working. I took it home, open it up completely, rinse it with fresh water and let it sit for a few days. It worked fine afterward.
01-10-2022, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Would I trust this site to give me trustworthy information? Not likely, despite the site having an apparent abundance of information and data.
I agree, Craig. They likely scrape the data from other sites, either automatically or manually, and derive ratings systematically from that data without any real knowledge of the equipment. These kind of comparison sites could be managed by well-trained monkeys... They're definitely not sources for reliable information...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-10-2022 at 10:42 PM.
01-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
But surely the sealing retains that within the camera, where it will do most good ? Like waterproof boots, once the water is in - there it stays !
The real fact is that no body is sealed without a sealed lens attached

01-10-2022, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The problem is less with facts than implications - the word 'unfortunately' sounds like a failing rather than an inevitability - and taking as someone who has washed salty water off a K-1 + 24-70 under a tap with no ill effects, I think that the words, though technically true, do create a false impression. There should be a middle way.
That was my whole point. There is no camera that is waterproof or dustproof , so if you state those are failings of the camera…and you have to be careful with the camera…then a newbie would believe this is not a very well designed product. Have not seen a review by a camera site that just makes things up. Would be similar to a car review site telling a potential buyer to be careful buying a certain brand because the body of the car is manufactured from metal and may dent if in an accident or may rust one day. Does it make a difference to me, no, just seemed a bit odd thing to write.
01-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Waterproofing an interchangeable lens camera just isn't practical. It's doable I'm sure but you'd have to check and maintain the seals very often.
01-12-2022, 04:57 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Was this subject not beaten to death in another recent thread ?
More than likely - but remember :

'That is not dead, which can eternal lie -
And with strange eons, even Death may die.'
01-12-2022, 05:15 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Somewhere in the forums, there is a very old post, from someone who washed their K10 and DA50-135 daily in the kitchen sink, under the tap, to get the salt off, he complained about the false statements of weather proofing when the camera died from moisture after the 50th washing.

People need to consider, weather resistance, or what ever you call it, is not water proof. I personally treat it as insurance, but still protect my gear otherwise from as much direct exposure as possible, keeping in mind that if my protection fails the camera can take some degree of abuse.
01-12-2022, 06:07 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Was this subject not beaten to death in another recent thread ?

But without a wooden stake being applied - - -
01-12-2022, 07:11 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
People need to consider, weather resistance, or what ever you call it, is not water proof. I personally treat it as insurance, but still protect my gear otherwise from as much direct exposure as possible, keeping in mind that if my protection fails the camera can take some degree of abuse.
Yes - I agree - in this instance the salt water was more of a hazzard than possible incursion of fresh water (and weather sealing did improve from the K10D, also), so I took the chance - I'm certainly not recommending it, just stating my experience.
01-12-2022, 03:23 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Wait, what??