Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax weatherproofing and reviews

Came across this site by accident…Cameravs.com
I was looking p something about the KP regarding a discussion on this site. Every review about Pentax cameras that I read, K1, KP, 645z, etc., all state that Pentax cameras are not “waterproof” and not “dust proof”. I know that waterproof and weather resistant are interchangeable in the camera discussions and write ups, and cameras are not “waterproof”, I just don’t understand how anyone writing a review on these cameras can state things that are 100% not true, over and over again.

Attached Images

01-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No interchangeable lens camera has anything other than claims and tests with respect to weather resistant features. Pentax has water and dust seals that make them resistant. phones and other devices that don’t have lenses that come on and off and don’t have seals that can get dirty due to user inaction often have IPS ratings like IPS68. “Waterproof” without an IPS rating is meaningless. The proof in the pudding is that the camera warranties don’t cover moisture inside unless it is a specific under water camera.
01-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weather resistant is not waterproof.

But by the same token no other DSLR is waterproof either,

It is just that not all the competition is even weather resistant
01-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
“Waterproof” without an IPS rating is meaningless. The proof in the pudding is that the camera warranties don’t cover moisture inside unless it is a specific under water camera.
Even with an IPS rating, phone manufacturers don't warranty for water damage. It may be handy if something happens in a pinch, but I'd still not carry my camera or phone around in the rain, shower, swimming, etc without proper additional protection. I try to treat my gear as if there is no protection unless the manufacturer stands behind it.

01-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just visited the cameravs site. In most of the camera reviews, these statements are made for every camera. I did see a couple that claimed better dust protection, but none that did not have a caution about avoiding water. Looks like a standard disclaimer. It does not look like it's brand specific.

As it is stated, it is accurate.
01-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

If you want to be pedantic, Ricoh/Pentax does not use the word "weatherproof". Rather the equipment is weather-seal, or weather-resistant, or all-weather. All-weather being water and dust resistant.
01-10-2022, 12:29 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"External threats such as dust"

Be very afraid folks

01-10-2022, 03:02 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Came across this site by accident…Cameravs.com
I was looking p something about the KP regarding a discussion on this site. Every review about Pentax cameras that I read, K1, KP, 645z, etc., all state that Pentax cameras are not “waterproof” and not “dust proof”. I know that waterproof and weather resistant are interchangeable in the camera discussions and write ups, and cameras are not “waterproof”, I just don’t understand how anyone writing a review on these cameras can state things that are 100% not true, over and over again.
It's true that the K-1 - like every DSLR and MILC - isn't water-proof. CameraVS does, however, state that the K-1 has "environmental sealing", which is accurate...
01-10-2022, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
"External threats such as dust"

Be very afraid folks
But what would we do without pixie dust
01-10-2022, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But surely the sealing retains that within the camera, where it will do most good ? Like waterproof boots, once the water is in - there it stays !
01-10-2022, 07:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
I just don’t understand how anyone writing a review on these cameras can state things that are 100% not true,
I believe that many websites present inaccurate information, and many reviewers do a poor job. It's important to understand the credentials of the person or organization.

In many cases, going directly to the source of the product can help. In fact, Ricoh Imaging says this about the K-1 in their FAQ:

"Performance for environment

Is the K-1 designed to be water-resistant/dust-proof?

Yes. There are 87 different sealing components used in the dials, buttons, joints and retractable parts of the camera, making it both dust-proof and water-resistant.
*For best protection against water or dust, use the camera with the Hot Shoe Cover FK, the Sync Socket 2P Cap and the Battery Grip Contact Cover attached."

So, it seems that CAMERAVS mis-stated the part concerning dustproof design. Can they be trusted?

- Craig
01-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent point! I guess the seals keep the pixie dust in.

- Craig
01-10-2022, 07:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Excellent point! I guess the seals keep the pixie dust in.

- Craig
In truth the pixie dust is actually only temporarily there as it is expended in use. Luckily pixies love to live inside Pentax gear - which replenishes the supply.
01-10-2022, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Was this subject not beaten to death in another recent thread ?
01-10-2022, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In truth the pixie dust is actually only temporarily there as it is expended in use. Luckily pixies love to live inside Pentax gear - which replenishes the supply.
no Pentax camera model has pixie dust

on the other hand, it is frequently reported from reliable sources here at the forums that

pixie dust is found in a certain selected number of some of the Pentax lens series

but not all Pentax lens series, only a LIMITED selection

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-10-2022 at 08:27 AM.