Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2022, 06:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K3 mirror lock up while using some pancake lens in cold weather.

I am wondering if any one have a similar problem.
My K3 classic showed (a kind of) mirror lock up symptom while shooing in the snowing nights.
Here are what I can recall:
  • It only happens the second time, and both times it was snowing. 0 °C or lower. I never have this issue in another cold nights but not cold enough to snow.
  • It was only when I use with the DA21 (small / pancake lenses). There were no such problems when I switch to a lager lenses like DA*55 and DA10-17. Upon switched back to DA21 and here again the issue come back.
  • It was only in the first couple of shots when I just change the lens, and when the camera was just wake up from a sleep.
  • If I turn off and on the camera, the mirror will go back to work normal and it won't come back until the next time I change lens or after it just wake up. Therefore I don't think it is the same Mirror lockup as the issue people have with earlier K3 unit because I don't have to remove the battery to reset the mirror.
  • The battery was not at 100% full when it happened. No such problem when I just start shooting (fully charged battery).

Last edited by tokyoscape; 01-12-2022 at 07:13 PM.
01-12-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could moisture have gotten on the lens mount of the 21?
01-13-2022, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd suspect that the pancake lens has a sticky aperture lever (perhaps it is bent or damaged inside).

At the end of the exposure, the camera has to push open the lens aperture. The force required to do that include both the spring force in the lens aperture mechanism and any friction. A cold or partially empty battery would make the problem worse.
01-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Battery output will be low in cold weather - that's the first thing I'd suspect. Then check the owner's manual for the minimum operating temperature. You may be below that.

01-13-2022, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Battery output will be low in cold weather - that's the first thing I'd suspect. Then check the owner's manual for the minimum operating temperature. You may be below that.
However the OP reported the problem only occurred with one of the lenses - and it was consistently that lens.
01-13-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks you all.
I will keep an eye on the aperture lever of the 21. As of now, it doesn't exhibit such issue in normal room tempter.
My prime suspect is the moisture as @UncleVanya said. I hope it will be just the moisture thing.
01-14-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
However the OP reported the problem only occurred with one of the lenses - and it was consistently that lens.
Ah yes, makes sense.