Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Full Frame Full Frame

I knew it's very old topic, but just too anxious to see if any rumor around k30d or any plan from Pentax to penetrate the full frame market. Every sinlge competitor except for olympus has at least one full frame body.............

12-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe that Pentax has said that they're going to stick with their 1.5x crop sensor for now.
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
I knew it's very old topic, but just too anxious to see if any rumor around k30d or any plan from Pentax to penetrate the full frame market. Every sinlge competitor except for olympus has at least one full frame body.............
I posted a while back, a comment made in a toronto camera store by one of the sales reps.

Pentax would release 2 new cameras, a K30 to replace the K20, with ISO 128,000, and a full frame K3

I also believe in santa clause
12-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I posted a while back, a comment made in a toronto camera store by one of the sales reps.

Pentax would release 2 new cameras, a K30 to replace the K20, with ISO 128,000, and a full frame K3

I also believe in santa clause
ISO 128k? Man, sign me up. I gotta write Santa my list now

12-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
I am running out of patient. Although I have Canon system with full frame body as the same time, I love pentax lenses as you can see in my signature how much I have accumulated. I have more than 150 pk/pka or lenses sit in boxes, hoping Pentax can come up a full frame with true mirror lockup function.

I am gotta give Pentax another year. If I still do not see the a hope of full frame, I am going to sell everything in pk/pka, very relectuntly.
12-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I honestly doubt that Pentax is going to go full frame withiin the next year.
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No or Yes (previously)! Read this: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Who were Telling the Truth?

12-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wOOOO hOOO!!!

Bring back the full frame chatter!

I was expecting to see a Pentax Full Frame prototype/mockup/anouncement at photokina 2008. I really did. I still taste the disapointment.

I think Pentax is going to put their efforts into APS-C.

In a way I agree with Ricehigh. Something changed at Pentax. The rumors were churning allong, even Samsung was talking of FF sensors. Then the chatter just stopped. You also got this impresion from the displays at Photokina that the Samsung/Pentax marriage got a little chilly. I wonder if Hoya on the scene has pushed Samsung away. I wonder if Hoya and Samsung are competing in markets bigger then DSLR's, and now the resulting Samsung/Pentax marriage is just about a single sensor that is used in the K20D.

This is the stuff that I wonder about.

Last edited by KungPOW; 12-09-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: missed a letter in a word.
12-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I honestly doubt that Pentax is going to go full frame withiin the next year.
I suspect the same thing. If Pentax ever goes full frame, it will be at or near the time that the D300x (or whatever Nikon decides to call their inevitable sub-$2000 FF camera) is released.

What do you think? February 2010?

Steve
12-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Forum Member

ISO 128000, wow that camera should come with a fire extinguisher attached.
12-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keith.s Quote
ISO 128000, wow that camera should come with a fire extinguisher attached.
...Special liquid cooling unit. You wear an ice water-filled belt around your waist with coolant tubes attached to the camera
12-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I thought the current rumor was that the new camera was going to have a 1.3x crop sensor (APS-H)
12-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Should", not "if" or "when"

The discussion should perhaps be about whether Pentax should release a full-frame DSLR, not if or when they are going to. The "if" or "when" question is more suited to the news and rumours section.

For marketing reasons, I suspect Pentax will be forced into a full-frame, assuming that the current trend among other manufacturers is successful, or they will risk becoming something of an irrelevancy in the market segment they currently occupy.

I realise there is an element of having to "keep up with the Joneses" in this argument, but I think it's also fairly clear that sales success with the main product line of just about anything that's sold these days depends to a great extent on having a high-end product that provides the rest of the line with buyer credibility.

While it's a bit irksome to engineers like me, it's also a fact of life that marketing decisions about products are based in fairly well-established notions of human behaviour, and it's no good having the best product in the world if it fails to capture the buyers' imagination (or, you could say, lack of it) and their pockets.

There are, of course, a number of manufacturing economics factors involved here as well. While developing a new camera (even one, perhaps, based on the existing range to whatever extent is practical and necessary for pricing reasons) is one thing, having a matching range of lenses and accessories is quite another. Fortunately, there are still some full-frame lenses available and presumably being made in small numbers, and the designs for the rest are still extant. Tweaking them for the required automation systems is probably more of an effort than starting up the optics manufacture again, of course.

Speculation is interesting and all very well for an interested outsider, but my view is that, if the top people in Pentax aren't thinking along these lines and doing their sums before deciding one way or another, then there's no hope for the marque in future, full-frame or no full-frame.
12-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am running out of patient. Although I have Canon system with full frame body as the same time, I love pentax lenses as you can see in my signature how much I have accumulated. I have more than 150 pk/pka or lenses sit in boxes, hoping Pentax can come up a full frame with true mirror lockup function.

I am gotta give Pentax another year. If I still do not see the a hope of full frame, I am going to sell everything in pk/pka, very relectuntly.
Given what you state as inventory, I hope they never go full frame. Thay way I get a shot at all your lenses

Seriously however, while my inventory is about 1/8 of yours, all but one is a full frame lens. when I want full frame (not often) i just pull out my PZ-1 with good film. from my perspective, if pentax went full frame, they should just convert and update the PZ-1p and you would have it all, including 4.5 FPS, 1/8000 shutter, and 1/250 flash sync, a full K mount not this crippled thing we now have.....
12-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #15

i can't understand why people say this

why, what actual specific reason, other than "playing with the big boys" would you have for wanting pentax to have FF?

it is actually going to make your shots better?

What actual advantage do you have, over what you've got now, will you get over APS-C?

Might as well start selling them lenses now, Pentax ain't going full frame, not with so much glass invested in APS-C

Shame really, since you'd have to modify all those lenses to fit FF Canon too....