Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

Finally made the move

I've been hemming and hawing over a new camera for quite some time. I knew I wanted the 20d and just had to pick a lens and finally let go of the money. Then I went to the local dealer. The oddest thing happened. My wife and I held the 20d and decided it was just too big and heavy for the travel photography we like to do.

Now what?? The 200d? But what about the drop in resolution? And no live view? Nooooo!!

After taking inventory of what we actually need in a camera, we decided the 200d would do all we desire and more. We coupled it with the 18-250mm lens and should have a pretty good travel rig.

I have my dad's old ME and 50mm 1.4. I can't wait to get the 200d and start snapping. I think the $200 savings from stepping down from the 20d will go toward a 12-24mm in the future.

Now I just have to add one of those "proud owner" banners...

12-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome Captain and congrats.
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I'm getting my K200D today.
With MS cash back promotion, I got mine (body only) on eBay for about $370 - so I did OK.
The UPS guy should be here around 4PM - and I can't wait.
I already sold my *ist DS to (partially) pay for the camera.

Three features I'll appreciate are the larger LCD, SR, and more pixels.
Also I prefer using AA batteries to owning another charger.
Let's see - my shaver, cell phone, iPod, and a pocket size *anon all have chargers.
Don't want another.

You made a good move, I think.
Good luck and have fun with your camera.
I'm going to do likewise.
12-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Captquin,
As I read your post, for a second I thought that you had bought an Olympus E series camera. Small size and live view are their strong points. I have read that Sony's liveview entry level DSLRs have shutter lag, so that wouldn't be a good choice. Good choice.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Captquin Quote
I've been hemming and hawing over a new camera for quite some time. I knew I wanted the 20d and just had to pick a lens and finally let go of the money. Then I went to the local dealer. The oddest thing happened. My wife and I held the 20d and decided it was just too big and heavy for the travel photography we like to do.

Now what?? The 200d? But what about the drop in resolution? And no live view? Nooooo!!

After taking inventory of what we actually need in a camera, we decided the 200d would do all we desire and more. We coupled it with the 18-250mm lens and should have a pretty good travel rig.

I have my dad's old ME and 50mm 1.4. I can't wait to get the 200d and start snapping. I think the $200 savings from stepping down from the 20d will go toward a 12-24mm in the future.

12-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

they didn't have the k2000 on display???
12-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #6

It ain't all in the pixels. I've read that the live view is not as useful as it could be although it's not enough of an issue to put me off hankering after a K20D.
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 200d? But what about the drop in resolution? And no live view? Nooooo!!
Photographers have shot without live view for over a century. While it occasionally is advantageuous in some unusual cases, most of the time liveview is a poor substitute for a good viewfinder. Which is to say, you'll soon learn to appreciate the K200D.

12-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good choice....as Marc and others say, live view is a recent invention, and is no substitute for a photographers eye.

One thing you can do on the K200D is configure the on/off/preview button to stop down the lens for DOF preview.

BTW, as Marc keeps pointing out, switch it to centre weighted average metering - at least to see if your happier with the exposures (some complain about underexposure, but if you understand exposure its a snap).

And with your old 50mm f1.4, if it isn't auto aperture control, switch to manual exposure, set your aperture, tap the green button and your exposure is set.

All in all, the K200D is a great camera for the money.

As for the Oly E series - the sensor is smaller than the APS-C - and I'm not convinced its the way to go.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll have a great time with your new toy.
12-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats - have fun!

Jer
12-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
they didn't have the k2000 on display???
Nope. Never seen one, but I hear they're nice. I dig the AA battery feature as well. AA's are available in lithium, and if the run out there's always something you can rob AA's of off in a pinch.

Got the lens today...body should be in tomorrow. BTW, Amazon had the best deal on the body, and B&H on the lens.
12-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nope. Never seen one, but I hear they're nice. I dig the AA battery feature as well. AA's are available in lithium, and if the run out there's always something you can rob AA's of off in a pinch.

Got the lens today...body should be in tomorrow. BTW, Amazon had the best deal on the body, and B&H on the lens.

I suggested it cause you said size was a big concern. I'd go and say the k2000 would've been the better choice, if it was an option...
12-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I suggested it cause you said size was a big concern. I'd go and say the k2000 would've been the better choice, if it was an option...
The differences are pretty small in practice, but FWIW, if you are thinking of using manual exposure lenses much, then the lack of DOF preview (= the only way to see a live meter reading with a manual exposure lens) could be reason enough to decide against the K2000, nice as it may be in other respects. Toss in the lack of orientation sensor on the K2000, and I do think I'd still choose the K200D over the K2000 if I were buying today, even given my preference for smaller/lighter cameras.
12-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Yeah but for travel, the k200's weather sealing would mean less worrying about the camera and more worrying about what's going on around you!