Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Set-up for available light indoor auditorium shots?

Just wondering what other folks are using...I am currently using the DS, Tamron 28-75 Xr Di, and SMC-K 135 f2.5 which work pretty well, but I'm going to be trying to capture some once-in a lifetime shots. (Stage play & choir performances of my daughter) I typically shoot hand-held in Raw, rely on stage lighting at ISO 1600. Short of trading up to the 100D, what would you recommend?

10-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi

QuoteOriginally posted by Quenchfire Quote
Just wondering what other folks are using...I am currently using the DS, Tamron 28-75 Xr Di, and SMC-K 135 f2.5 which work pretty well, but I'm going to be trying to capture some once-in a lifetime shots. (Stage play & choir performances of my daughter) I typically shoot hand-held in Raw, rely on stage lighting at ISO 1600. Short of trading up to the 100D, what would you recommend?
It depends how far away you are from the stage. If you are allowed to be near or on the stage, then FA35/2, FA50/1.4 and FA 77/1.8 are all good options and are faster than your Tamron. I am not bash the Tamron here, I have got one myself and really like it myself).

If you are a little far away, then have a look at Sigma 70-200/2.8. I don't have the lens myself but have heard pretty good reviews about the lens.

cheers
Kenny
10-16-2006, 02:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try to smuggle a monopod

Last edited by Matjazz; 10-16-2006 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Typo
10-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First, congratulations! It is so wonderful when they blossom in performance.

I faced just such a question a decade ago. I ended up buying a Zuiko 85mm f/2 for my OM. I could have equally bought a 100mm of similar speed. The main difference would have been in framing... either is tele enough for school plays etc. A greater tele would be much bulkier (the monopod comes in handy) and doesn't necessarily give you any better photos.

The main thing is the f/2: it makes focusing easier (and auto focus not hunt so) and you can actually see through the view finder! So from the list, 50mm with the digital crop factor is probably not long enough, but anything longer than that seems just right.

For this application, you might consider a used manual focus lens as well, as AF will tend to hunt in the low lighting, and usually you don't have to keep cranking at the focus in MF...

10-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Tried out the K 135 f2.5 tonight

Based on just a few shots, I think this one is a keeper...I shot this image from about 30' away....to be fair, this was slightly sharpened in PS, but this could easily be printed at 12 x 18 or larger. I definitely like the feel of the manual focus action...smooth & silky...easy to focus w/DS focus indicator light. My only gripe for this shooting situation (acoustic choral concert) is that the DS shutter is loud enough to distract those sitting nearby.
Attached Images