Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got my k200d Kit Yesterday!

Now I need to learn how to use it! Anyone have/know of any tutorials that might help familiarize me with the features and that can give some basic advice for using it? I'm excited, but all of the buttons, etc seem very overwhelming! This is going to be great!

J-

12-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #2

Are you new to SLR photography? As for the camera - if you haven't already done so check out this link - Pentax K200D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review and the various pages.

If new to the SLR world - try starting out using the camera in all of the auto modes indoors and outside - look at the photos with the info page and try to get a feel for how shutter speed and aperture can change the depth of field. Soon you'll be on your way to deciding if you like to keep it simple using these auto modes or if want to try setting the shutter speed, the aperture, or both. Try using the ISO at both the low and high end too to see the impact.

If just out of the box - get some good rechargeables. Save those first few shots as good or bad as they may be - so you can look back on these early days with the camera. Hopes this helps. I'm sure you'll get other suggestions too. Welcome to the forum. Ken.
12-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #3

You should have a manual that came with the camera? That should cover most things.

Apart from that...

Take your time. Have a play. Make mistakes, but most of all ENJOY!
12-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Check This Out

QuoteOriginally posted by mrwizardgi Quote
Now I need to learn how to use it! Anyone have/know of any tutorials that might help familiarize me with the features and that can give some basic advice for using it? I'm excited, but all of the buttons, etc seem very overwhelming! This is going to be great!

J-
I got a great DVD tutorial that was made only for the k200d, it's a two DVD set, the second one is mostly a sales pitch for accessories but the first one can't be beat, it's a must have. You can find it on Amazon.com for $24.00 , it's put out by Jump Start video..I'm sure it'll help you.

Barry

12-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for the wonderful replies. I am somewhat new to SLR photography. I have a Nikon FM10 I've played around with for awhile, but I'm pretty green when it comes to photography. I have a decent eye for knowing what makes/can make a good shot. I bought the dSLR in hopes that I can learn how aperture and shutter speeds and the like affect the pictures. I found a good, basic dSLR site that explains a lot of it, but I'm hands on and like to play around to see what really happens.

I do have the manual, but I also know sometimes those things are written for someone with a lot more knowledge about SLR photography and can get pretty overwhelming. I was just wondering if someone had a good place to get info aside from the manual. I want to go beyond the basic point and shoot and really get into this thing!

Thanks again everyone. I'm hoping to get some shots going and get some critiques!

J-
12-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Trustworthy.

Iím the trustworthy sort and I donít mind sending you my copy of JumpStart k200d if you live in Canada.
Keep it for a month then send it back. Itís close to what the book says but a little easier to follow.
12-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
Iím the trustworthy sort and I donít mind sending you my copy of JumpStart k200d if you live in Canada.
Keep it for a month then send it back. Itís close to what the book says but a little easier to follow.

I really appreciate the offer, but I am in the states. Thanks though! That sort offer says a lot for the quality of people here!

J-
12-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Even before I got my K200D this week, I ordered on eBay a 'Magic Lantern' series book. That is the book I intend to keep in my bag and dog ear. As for the owners manual, I'm going to keep it in pristine condition in the original box.

12-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ta131js Quote
Even before I got my K200D this week, I ordered on eBay a 'Magic Lantern' series book. That is the book I intend to keep in my bag and dog ear. As for the owners manual, I'm going to keep it in pristine condition in the original box.

I'll look that up! Thanks for the info!

J-
12-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ta131js Quote
Got my K200D delivered from B&H last week and at end of week got delivered the Magic Lantern guide.
Funny, I came to the same conclusion about which one to cary in the bag and get dog eared!
Also don't forget you can download the K200D manual from the Pentax site - just in case you lose or misplace the paper one.
I always do that with any electronics manual.

Now if this NJ sort-of-winter weather will cooperate I can do more than indoor shots with and without on-board flash. b/t/w after the holidays I am setting myself up to get the Metz 48 external flash.

So far I LOVE my K200D !!!!!!

TomK