Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2022, 10:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

as to one who starts I join the recommendation for used : K1 + Fa 31 + FA 77 + DFA100 Macro WR

Last edited by mbukal; 01-26-2022 at 10:41 AM.
01-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
you might be inclined to go full-frame which cost more, are larger, and in less supply than their APS-C counterparts. For compactness, you can't beat an APS-C using an APS-C lens.
The price of lenses has more to do with the class of lens than whether it is FF or APSC. DA* 11-18 vs DFA 15-30 - DFA is only slightly more in price and it is heavier but over all close. HD DA* 16-50 PLM vs DFA 24-70, DA* is slightly more and DFA weighs only 62g more. I see this argument all the time but it doesn't really hold. Quality glass costs regardless of FF or APSC. That being said there is lots of good affordable glass for either format and lots of expensive glass. Picking the lens you want most and then building a system around it is a good way to go. I still think the K1 offers more flexibility as you get APSC and FF in one camera.

FF systems can get quite a bit heavier depending on what you choose, but this argument against the K1 often baffles me. My 10yr old son can walk around for hours with a K1 and 70-200 on it, yeah it's a heavy combo but hardly debilitating. He will complain after a while and try to get me to take it from him, but he will do that with a 200g frisbee because he's a kid. Even on long hikes I am generally carrying far more weight than a K1 so for a photo session the weight is even less of an issue.

The OP mentioned not liking heavy glass so compact primes are plentiful in the Pentax ecosystem.

APSC - DA Limited 15mm 21mm 35mm 40mm 70mm or the DA 35 and 50
FF - DA 35 and 50, FA 35 and 50, FA Limited 31, 43 and 77, DFA 50mm Macro DFA 100mm Macro
All of those are compact and light and most aren't that expensive and there are many more older used options too.
01-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Klynn Quote
Yes, the new model is selling for $600 but when add on the cost of a lense, it's not much more for a used K-1 bundle.
If you do not want heavy camera and lenses, do not buy the K-1. It is relatively heavy. And a used K-1 bundle is just a little bit more than a new K-70 with lens, then take care, because second hand K-1's with a lens are quite expensive if you want a good bundle.

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
then the FF frame sensor with all that compact legacy Pentax glass is the way to go
On the other hand with an APS-C you can use all that compact legacy glass as well, that is not a prerogative of FF, but of Pentax's K-mount! But for a novice as you describe yourself I would go with a cheaper camera, because you can find out if a DSLR is really for you. If I had to decide (because you raised the question) for you: entry level camera with a good lens so a K-70 with a 18-135 mm, that is the way to go.
01-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
On the other hand with an APS-C you can use all that compact legacy glass as well, that is not a prerogative of FF, but of Pentax's K-mount!
True, but I was pointing out that for the OPs style of artsy and creative the FF camera offers the most flexibility because it can be used in FF or Crop mode so you get the best of both formats. Also for artsy and creative the 18-135mm is not what I would recommend. I would be more inclined to say start with the DA35 and DA50 as a cheap but effective creative combo and then add wider and longer lenses later.

01-26-2022, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Based on budgetary considerations, I'd say go with a K1 or K1mkII---because the used lens market that can be applied to these cameras(in their native FL) is vast.

What is said above about APSC cameras being great generalists is true, but if the prices are similar I can't see the "penalty" of getting the K1mkII---unless you are going to be doing street photography in a minimalist way with a prime lens, and no bag---just the camera/lens combo on a strap around your neck. Then APSC could be the better choice, although the little Fuji's are better yet, or a Sony A6000 series.
01-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Based on the mentioned needs, the K-1 is really the best option , if you wanna spend the money. FF photography is a great way to shoot art. Otherwise , considering the cost, it’s the KP with a lens. I’d go FF if money is not an issue. Guaranteed quality for many years. It would be an easy choice even for someone who doesn’t own a FF body, like me.
01-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have a KP and k3. The KP has better IQ and high ISO. I think the k3ii would be the same as the K3 but you get the gps rather than the flash. I wish I had the k3ii so I could try astrotracer. But if I didn't value the gps I would get the KP over the k3/k3ii

01-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though the KP is awesome, your intended use seems to favor the K-1. There are several on PF on offer. I have purchased most of my used gear here with no complaints.
Less yapping, more snapping. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
01-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My advice is to always go for the newest technology you can afford, which in this case is the K-1II vs the KP. The KP is an exceptional camera also, I've not heard of anyone wearing the shutter out on any of these cameras, I'm sure it may have happened, but rarely, I wouldn't let that come into you decision. Both of those cameras are quite capable of doing all that you want, and both can use all of the same lenses, albeit some of the DA lenses won't cover the full frame of the K-1II. Follow Allen's advise and use the comparison tool, compare the things that really may matter to YOU, not to others. Too many reviewers get hung up on specs that are relatively meaningless for most people's uses, and use those as a basis to rate one camera over another.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 01-26-2022 at 03:15 PM.
01-26-2022, 02:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
albeit some of the DA lenses won's cover the full frame of the K-1II.
No but if there is a lot of vignette with a flick of a button one can put the K1 or K1mk into a crop mode and get a decent 15+ Mp image out of using one. One can't reverse that option with a DFA Lens on an Aps-c camera to use the Full image area of that full frame lens. Besides many of the DA lens only put a slight vignette unless they are an ultra wide.
01-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
No but if there is a lot of vignette with a flick of a button one can put the K1 or K1mk into a crop mode and get a decent 15+ Mp image out of using one. One can't reverse that option with a DFA Lens on an Aps-c camera to use the Full image area of that full frame lens. Besides many of the DA lens only put a slight vignette unless they are an ultra wide.
I would imagine that if you leave crop mode off you can get a larger square frame image (after your own cropping) if wanted.
01-26-2022, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #27

Photos: Albums
The KP is a great camera if size was a consideration I would go with it. The K1 is bigger but does more I have both and often take the
Kp when I do not want to carry the larger camera all day. I do have a K3 which has been a work horse over the years and still gives good service.
01-26-2022, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How you photography the art matters. Also perhaps as important- how you plan to view the images matters.

I personally own an A7RIII and a KP and honestly I don’t find either is particularly better at portraits or shots of art than the other. Sure there are some differences - but unless you plan very large prints it will NOT matter in practical outcome.

Just for a practical point:

_2130474_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

This is a micro 4/3 shot made at iso 3200 at 1/15 of a second using a kit lens handheld.

Yes sure it can easily be improved - but it gives an idea of what quality you can get with far less capable gear than the op is looking for.

Here’s a portrait made with the K-3.

IMGP9382_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

And one shot on m43:

P3170080_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

I’m not saying a full frame isn’t potentially able to do better. I’m saying that it is bigger and heavier and bulkier and not the tool I would recommend to a new photographer.
01-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I’m not saying a full frame isn’t potentially able to do better. I’m saying that it is bigger and heavier and bulkier and not the tool I would recommend to a new photographer.
I agree, and stated earlier, that most of the time no one will be able to tell the different formats apart and the op would be fine with any. I am a biased fan of the K1 though and it mainly comes from my preference for fast wide open prime shooting. Normal on APSC (28-35mm) is at a disadvantage in the Pentax lineup versus normal FF (43-55mm) due to the apertures on the currently available lenses. We just don't have a 35mm f1.2 or even f1.4 to get close to what 50mm f1.4 can look like. That scenario is null and void for a lot of peoples shooting styles, but with the OP mentioning artsy and creative styles, at least in my mind that suggests fast primes, though I could be very wrong. I am willing to carry the little extra weight to get to shoot those fast primes wide open, others I know are not.
01-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
. . many of the DA lens only put a slight vignette unless they are an ultra wide.
lots of interesting articles here at the forums

including:

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com