Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2022, 07:39 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoundWharf Quote
How many photos does the OP shoot that warrants a decision of camera based on shutter count?

I average between 5-10k per year which I think is already a lot, including taking portraits??!
It matters for re-sale value, does it not? No different than buying a Toyota Prius verses a Chevy Volt. One lasts longer and holds re-sale value.

01-26-2022, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
For every day photography I would always recommend a APS-C camera. They are smaller, they are lighter, they are not as expensive as full frame cameras and they can do nearly everything, that a FF can. And remember the lenses for FF are as well, heavier, larger and a good deal more expensive, then their APS-C counterparts.

And then it comes to your personal preferences. The KP is the smaller more modern camera with the better IQ, the K-3 II is the more rugged camera with better ergonomics and built in GPS, but without a flash. Take a look at the Pentax Camera Comparison asylfox has set a link for you. We will happily answer all your questions, that will occur.

It would help us to suggest you a model, if you can tell us what subjects you are planning to take pictures of.

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 10:07 AM ----------

And remember the lenses are of more importance then the camera. So avoid bundles that only include a bundle zoom like the 16-50 or the 18-55. And what you save at the camera, you can invest in lenses.
I mostly photograph; Dogs, kids/teens, and nature. I uploaded images taken from a Samsung Galaxy A31 😆

---------- Post added 01-26-22 at 08:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mooncatt Quote
normally i'm a huge k3 fan for its ergonomics, but i think i'd lean towards the k1 ii for your uses. For the canvas portraits, you'll get the highest quality with it, but i think all will work great if you don't want the weight. I would also suggest dedicated macro lens for the canvas work, so figure that into your budget if you want close up photos. Macro lenses tend to be high quality and can be used for general purpose as well. I've got some great outdoor portraits from my pentax 100mm macro.

Also, don't forget about pixel-shift! When doing your canvas work, this mode will really bring out the fine details and nearly eliminate any noise. Just make sure you have the camera on a tripod. The k1 ii can do it handheld, but it's really best for tripod work on still life images.
thank you!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Z981  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Z6530M  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
SM-A315G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A315G  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Z6530M  Photo 
01-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Klynn Quote
It matters for re-sale value, does it not? No different than buying a Toyota Prius verses a Chevy Volt. One lasts longer and holds re-sale value.
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. After all, the shutter is but one part that could fail. 100,000 is about 54 photos, every single day for 5 years, or 91 photos per day over 3 years. It's a lot of photos. And, that's not to say it won't last 200,000. It simply means that it's been tested to 100,000.
01-26-2022, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. After all, the shutter is but one part that could fail. 100,000 is about 54 photos, every single day for 5 years, or 91 photos per day over 3 years. It's a lot of photos. And, that's not to say it won't last 200,000. It simply means that it's been tested to 100,000.
And then there's me, who put can put 2,000 clicks on in a single day. Lol.

I somewhat agree with you, but for different reasons. I never understood the concept of buying something based on resell value. I buy things based on how well they suit my needs. If it's a toss up on which product to get, and I go with the one that typically has higher resell, it means I'll pay extra for something that gives me no benefit for a gamble at getting more back if I sell it off. The longer you keep something, the lower that resell differential becomes, and there's a million chances something could happen that destroys the item before you sell it off.

01-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Klynn Quote
I mostly photograph; Dogs, kids/teens, and nature. I uploaded images taken from a Samsung Galaxy A31 😆
Nice photos. Any camera will do well in your hands - you have a good eye.
01-27-2022, 05:22 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
True, but I was pointing out that for the OPs style of artsy and creative the FF camera offers the most flexibility because it can be used in FF or Crop mode so you get the best of both formats. Also for artsy and creative the 18-135mm is not what I would recommend. I would be more inclined to say start with the DA35 and DA50 as a cheap but effective creative combo and then add wider and longer lenses later.
But the OP wrote himself he is a novice, I, as an experienced photographer , take that into account and would not dare to advice him to shove lots of money to something of which he does not know if he likes it. And the difference between APS-C and FF is not that big that the benefits of FF surpass that of APS-C. Both the camera and the lens are very capable. With the K-1 you get in crop mode a 16mp camera. That is from the time of the K-5. The keyword in his post is novice!
01-27-2022, 06:09 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
as to one who starts I join the recommendation for used : K1 + Fa 31 + FA 77 + DFA100 Macro WR
this recommendation of mine coincides with the shown shots of the initiator of the topic and as a beginner not too much investment and easier opportunity for resale or transition to APSC, in my experience as an amateur who after 10 years with APSC moved to FF I remain fully in recommendation

01-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
. . . I might suggest you find a rental service which carries the cameras you're interested in and try out these models in advance of making a decision. You can get a feel for them and at the same time, become familiar with the features and use of them, helping you choose when you are done.
there is a thread about that:

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...es-rent-3.html

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
. . , DFA100 Macro WR
be advised the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR shares the same optics as earlier versions which might be found at a cheaper price

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Specifications
The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. . .

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

this might be helpful

https://camerasize.com/compare/#706,773

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-27-2022 at 08:21 AM.
01-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
And then there's me, who put can put 2,000 clicks on in a single day. Lol.

I somewhat agree with you, but for different reasons. I never understood the concept of buying something based on resell value. I buy things based on how well they suit my needs. If it's a toss up on which product to get, and I go with the one that typically has higher resell, it means I'll pay extra for something that gives me no benefit for a gamble at getting more back if I sell it off. The longer you keep something, the lower that resell differential becomes, and there's a million chances something could happen that destroys the item before you sell it off.
2,000 in a day!

In fairness, I've had high shutter count days at marathon events where I try to get 3-4 photos of each competitor, but that happens only a few times a year.
01-27-2022, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
2,000 in a day!

In fairness, I've had high shutter count days at marathon events where I try to get 3-4 photos of each competitor, but that happens only a few times a year.
Yeah, same here, only it's at a drag race event. It's kind of a spray and pray setting because things happen quickly. Lol
01-27-2022, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, same here, only it's at a drag race event. It's kind of a spray and pray setting because things happen quickly. Lol
I have ripped through a large number shooting rocketry. The lift off photos are demanding.
01-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes! "Quickly" is perhaps an understatement!
01-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes! "Quickly" is perhaps an understatement!
Compared to the rockets I suspect they not too different. Some can exceed the speed of sound - although typically not at the launchpad. I have plenty of times I need to grab an image in the first 10’ of a flight accelerating at 30-40g’s.
01-28-2022, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Realistically for a novice you should worry more about the experience. Worrying about shutter life doesn't matter, what does matter is something like the articulating screen on the KP vs none on the K-3II. Worry more about features that will actually impact your photography rather than worrying about reliability in a part you won't have to deal with in years.
01-31-2022, 01:50 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Klynn for your pictures!
Very nice ones.

I would renew my recommendation for an APS-C camera. The advantages of a FF camera do not outweight the additional weight you have to carry.

Concerning K-3 (i or ii) against the KP, they are both very capable cameras. The K-3 is the more rugged one, with the flagship ergonomics, i.e. a knob for every function. The KP the more modern camera with a tad better IQ. The one big advantage that the KP has over the K-3 ist the tiltable screen, which makes low level pictures like the one of the lying black dog possible whereas it is not as easy to take those pictures with the K-3.
I would also like to suggest you take into account the K-70, which has an fully articulated screen and very good image quality and is in my opinion quite comparable to the KP in terms of user interface. It's main issue is the elder AF-system.
Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

In fact I would base my descision on which lens is bundled with the camera. If you can get a 16-85 or a zoom lens with f2.8 that would be nice. A 18-135 is an excellent lens up to 50 mm and gets meh at 135, but I own one as a walk around and it is ok. Add a DA 50/1.8 for portrait and you will be fine for the first steps.

Yo wrote you want a macro for taking picture of canavas paintigs. If you do only want to reproduce the whole painting and do not want to do detail enlargements, you do not need a dedicated macro, but only a lens with minimum distortion and field curvature. The DA 50mm/1.8 and even the 16-85 at 50 mm will propably do.

Please note, that if you like to reproduce a whole middle sized canvas (80cm hight) picture anything longer then 50 mm will require you to step back a bit more.
That said macro from 70 mm (Sigma) to 100 mm with f2.8 is a nice portrait lens as well.

Here my suggestion is to start with a good standard zoom (16-85, 16/17-45/50, 17-70) or something like this, then use it some time and decide afterwards which additional lens you need.

You can allways ask for advice here in the forum, especially for lenses you will get a lot recommendations .