Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
When your not using your cameras.....

do you detach the lens from the body?? or leave them together in your camera bag?

12-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Leave them together in the bag
12-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always leave a lens on mine. That way in a pinch, if something happens, I don't have to fumble around putting a lens on...
12-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

together.. ready to go! In fact I store them with lens shades on and no lens cap, just the rear cap.

Whenever I put the camera away I always put the 'normal' (16-45 in my case) zoom back on and reset' all camera parameters (mode, iso, ev comp, flash comp, etc) back to my 'standard' settings. When I pull the camera out of the bag, I know it's ready to go.

Cheers, Nige

12-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #5

together in the bag. This would be a good topic for a poll.
12-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

separated, just thinking theoretically, not the best to put pressure on the mount all the time if if it's not necessary. the bodies and lenses go in a drawer.

on a side note a few you seem to be leaving your cameras in your bags but i've read in numerous places this is a bad idea because a bag may retain too much moisture. there was a thread recently where someone left their camera in their bag too long in a temperate climate and all the lenses were fungi-ed. someone back me up on this?
12-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
I have my cameras with me at all times, meaning anytime I go somewhere even to work I have them with me...I don't leave them in the car in extreme heat or cold. But they are usually together with lense attached. Now that I have two digital cameras I have two bags, the new bag with the K20 doesn't allow for the lense, battery grip and camera attached, so I will "for now" leave them apart. The K100 is together along with my flash, binoculars, charger, and Gorilla tripod in my bigger camera bag with my laptop.
12-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
separated, just thinking theoretically, not the best to put pressure on the mount all the time if if it's not necessary. the bodies and lenses go in a drawer.

on a side note a few you seem to be leaving your cameras in your bags but i've read in numerous places this is a bad idea because a bag may retain too much moisture. there was a thread recently where someone left their camera in their bag too long in a temperate climate and all the lenses were fungi-ed. someone back me up on this?
I also read the thread - the OP was from India and had used a canvas bag. He had been moving or something and hadn't used the camera for several months.

I actually store everything in canvas bags on shelves in my closet - but EVERY lens pocket has two of those little dessicant packs in it with the lens. I bought a bulk bag of dessicant packs when I was furiously buying and selling lenses some years ago.

The only issue I've ever had with fungus was when I purchased a used SX-70 that smelled really musty, as if it has been in a damp basement (only bad ebay deal I've ever had). Fortunately I stored THAT in my own basement, away from my camera gear, because green mold grew on the leather case almost instantly and ruined the poor Polaroid.

12-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've usually left mine together, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I leave the most commonly-used lens on the body, so that it's ready to pick up and use at short notice, for most situations. Sod's Law can apply, of course, and you often find that you want another lens for quick use, but there you go.

Secondly, I'm a believer in not wearing things out by scraping one surface past another more than necessary (and that includes the arc of electrical contacts on the digitals and later film bodies).

I don't really think that most lenses put too much strain on the mounts. I had my old ESII sitting on a tripod with a 300/4 SMC Takumar hung off it a long time ago, when youngest daughter accidentally sent it all flying, with no significant damage done to the mount (and I had it checked, in case you were wondering!). The impact would probably have subjected the mount to a couple of "g" force, at least. Normal static forces, especially sitting in a case with some vibration isolation properties are a piece of cake, in comparison (and also if you rest your camera with the lens hanging down or standing up).
12-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #10

I think that lens mount is plenty strong to handle the stresses. It is good quality stainless steel and well machined. No problem.
12-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My lens is my camera, ready to go...
12-11-2008, 02:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There are people who have times when they're not using their camera?

Okay...I can see it for multiple cameras, I guess.

Most of my cameras don't have interchangeable lenses, so it isn't an issue for them. For the SLRs, I don't have enough body caps (ever tried finding an M42 body cap?), so I just leave lenses mounted. Lord knows I have enough lenses to substitute for body caps.
12-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

Always together lenses and bodies, ready to go in a instant, because sometimes that's all the time you have.
12-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Suzu Quote
do you detach the lens from the body?? or leave them together in your camera bag?
I always have a lens on the camera. Why wouldn't you?
12-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Suzu Quote
Mine get left as I last used them, sometimes I have even forgotten tot urn them off, and with my *istD this causes problems with file numbering, if you pull the memory cars when the camera is on. (it seems the *istD at least, has internal memory that stores the last file number when turned off, if you pull a card and erace the files, the camera will probably produce new images next time, with repeat file names)

I don't even charge the batteries when I get home, I usually find that I charge my batteries the night before I plan to shoot a lot, and rely on the fact that I have fully charged spares if the one in the body is dead, or dies quickly when I pick up the camera to shoot something.