Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the meaning of "chimp"?

Just curious - what is the origin and meaning of the verb, "to chimp," as in, "I chimped the histogram and adjusted accordingly."

Actually I can sort of guess the meaning - but what is the origin?

12-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wikipedia Link
----------------

Origin of the term

The term 'chimping' is attributed to Robert Deutsch, a USA Today staff photographer, in September of 1999 when writing a story for the SportsShooter email newsletter.[2]
The phrase is most likely derived from comparison between the sounds and actions some make while reviewing images and those of an excited primate (Oooh! Oooh! Aaah!), or when a photographer is completely absorbed in the act of analysing, admiring or proudly displaying a shot to others.
12-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The wikipedia link talks about chimps making the "oooh-ahh-ahh" sounds, but I don't think that's quite right - I think the term originated from the fact that chimps and other primates groom each other using exactly the same finger movements we use to turn the wheel to zoom into the image on the LCD. If you've ever watched chimps doing their social grooming thing, they hold hair back and use their thumbs to 'sift' through the hair patch-by-patch, using exactly the camera-wheel turning motions.
12-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Forum Member

Chimp

Completely
Hopeless
Monitoring
Procedure

12-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UltraWide Quote
Completely
Hopeless
Monitoring
Procedure
Hahahahaaha ... that's funny ... I'll pay that one.
12-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That is funny. here are pictures of people chimping Flickr: "chimping" there used to be a cool video on Sportshooter.com but it seems to not be working you can check here SportsShooter.com - Chimping EXPOSED! (Part 1)
12-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just curious - what is the origin and meaning of the verb, "to chimp," as in, "I chimped the histogram and adjusted accordingly."

Actually I can sort of guess the meaning - but what is the origin?
No idea what it means and it sounds completely stupid to me. Assume it's American slang for something ? Goodness knows what people who have English as 2nd language make of it.
12-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll never look at the LCD again

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
That is funny. here are pictures of people chimping Flickr: "chimping" there used to be a cool video on Sportshooter.com but it seems to not be working you can check here SportsShooter.com - Chimping EXPOSED! (Part 1)
Ha Ha Ha! I'll never feel the same checking the histogram again.

12-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've heard of it as checking the LCD screen on a film camera after taking a picture. You know, the one that doesn't exist. I'm sure it can be extended to doing any action out of habit, with special regards to photography.
12-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Chimping is usually deroratory for looking at the LCD review screen after every shot - on the premise that one may miss a golden opportunity right in front, while inspecting the screen.

Although there is some truth - probably mostly it's snobbish.

Wikipedia (link above) has a much more reasonable/balanced view -

" Views on chimping
Stephen Johnson, in his book on digital photography, writes:

“ The implied pejorative [in the term 'chimping'] is shocking to me. If there's any one thing that is revolutionary in the advance of photography represented by this digital age, it is the ability to inspect your work. Ignore such ridicule, and use the tools to their fullest. ”

He further points out that using the LCD panel effectively means that a light meter can be left at home and if the shot isn't right, it can be tried again. Therefore, the idea that only "wannabe" photographers need to look at the LCD and check the exposure, image, or both may be unreasonable.
However, this activity can lead to missed photo opportunities, especially in fast-paced action scenarios. A photographer can be occupied looking at the previous shot rather than actively photographing a scene unfolding in front of them. This activity may also be a symptom of the photographer not understanding what they are doing and relying on instant feedback to see if they guessed well enough or not, hence possibly its association with "newbie" photographers. "

Of course the easiest way to "cure" chimping (if it's really necessary) is to simply turn off the review feature.

Personally I have it on for the minimum time - and I do chimp -
however when I have to shoot quickly/sequentially (still on AF-S - single shot mode) I just ignore the review screen.

Why do I chimp? because my main shooting is music concerts - where the stage lights can be changing quickly - often the subject is back-lit, but there are parts that are strongly lit too - so evaluative often does not work well - nor center-weighted, even spot metering can occassionally be off when shooting quickly - I need to see if the shot is over or under exposed - or acceptable - so I can modify my metering point - after then I can ignore the screen.
12-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I still call digital cameras, 'You glorified Polaroid back.'

But those certainly had their uses.
12-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Chimping is usually deroratory for looking at the LCD review screen after every shot - on the premise that one may miss a golden opportunity right in front, while inspecting the screen.

Although there is some truth - probably mostly it's snobbish.
Others can be snobbish all they want - I'm not a pro and if I need to review the histogram for a landscape to ensure I have the correct exposure, then so be it.

This is especially important for me because I have a number of manual lenses. I haven't yet translated learned EV relationships from film days to my K10D's eccentric metering system. Shooting P or M seems to work best since they are similar to a KX or MESuper. Av or TAv are fine with FA and DA lenses, especially when I am photographing sports/action (actually my success rate in action is much higher with a digital camera then analog).

I never exclaim, "Ooohhh, aaahhh" when reviewing, either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I still call digital cameras, 'You glorified Polaroid back.'

But those certainly had their uses.
I could write a treatise on the effect of digital cameras on workflow and the loss of expertise in film processing it caused - and the transfer of responsibility for correct developing and printing from experienced professionals to rank amateurs.

I'm not sure we yet understand what we have lost.
12-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I could write a treatise on the effect of digital cameras on workflow and the loss of expertise in film processing it caused - and the transfer of responsibility for correct developing and printing from experienced professionals to rank amateurs.

I'm not sure we yet understand what we have lost.
Hee, I'm still trying to work in what we've gained. After sorta getting my eyesight back, I do feel like I dropped in out of a photographic time-tunnel from 1992 or so, a few years ago.

I guess being quick with the film-reloading is no longer a professional advantage.

I still tend to think that companies who push digital are trying to shoot film in the foot by making sure that photofinishing is generally only done by underpaid kids who don't even know how to run a minilab.
12-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

I still tend to think that companies who push digital are trying to shoot film in the foot by making sure that photofinishing is generally only done by underpaid kids who don't even know how to run a minilab.
I'm just stunned at the investment capital and intellectual capital that have been destroyed - mostly by the P&S cameras. Losing the accumulated intellectual and investment property of Eastman Kodak (paper, chemicals, mini-lab equipment, professional equipment, not to mention film) and the experience of myriad pro labs is a tragedy.

I guess when the economics of an industry are built on consumers to support the pros, the industry is exposed to creative destruction. Once nearly all households have a PC with a USB port the camera becomes an instant-gratification tool - 1-Hour Photoprocessing isn't even fast enough.

I suppose the true professional who did darkroom work and large prints might welcome the change to digital PP, and the print media production process has moved to full digital so this was inevitable for the product pros, but it is still a stunning loss.
12-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Prolly, Monochrome, but it's like I think about the whole 'Film is dead' argument.. It's like, 'They've been saying 'vinyl is dead' since before I was born.' It's not. It's just the mass market has moved on to the convenient thing.

It's been like seventy years since 4x5 was the format of choice for much of anything, ...still there.

It'd probably have been pretty nice if I could get a job in a pro lab again, but, hey, when there was more demand for that, there were also more people with fewer health complications who could do that. It's never been easy to make a living with photography, not if you didn't start with a lot in the first place, anyway.

I'm still not convinced this computer stuff won't obsolete itself, anyway. Once computers can do all the technical stuff with a point and click, or just completely fabricate an image file without ever actually looking at anything, where's the value-added going to be?