Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #1

I will be very wary of buying Pentax again

So maybe I was just dumb, but I wanted to try Pentax, so I purchased a used K10D after the K20D and hit the market when lots of people were starting to sell the K10Ds to get K20D. The market price at that time was just around 500 dollars for a K10D in perfect shape. 3 months later it is more like 325. I personally thought most of the deprecation had occurred at 500 dollars, and thus I wasn't likely to loose a ton of money on the body if I needed to resell it. I did and I lost 40% of my money. That is HUGE. Very burned I feel. Does Pentax just not have enough used demand to sustain the prices or what? Why so low for a 10 MP camera that is essentially the same as the K20D other than the sensor.

PS Edit: as a larger people got this completely wrong. The K10D wasn't an investment, it was a trial to see if I should switch to pentax. I choose not to for a few reasons. I purchased a K10D to lessen the blow if I had to resell assuming it would deprecate less than a K20D, however, it dropped in value dramatically even months after is was replaced by the K20D. That was my point.

Last edited by drwho9437; 12-12-2008 at 12:28 AM.
12-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey ... I bought a K10D new a while back ... and when i bought a 2nd K10D as a backup body for $500 (less than half the original price here in Australia) ... imagine how i felt.

Today is a "throw-away" society ... and depreciation of this scale is normal.
This is one reason why i don't buy brand new cars anymore ... depreciation is nasty.

I guess you learn to live with it.

But look on the bright side ... the lenses for the Pentax are much cheaper than the equivalent brands.
12-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
So maybe I was just dumb, but I wanted to try Pentax, so I purchased a used K10D after the K20D and hit the market when lots of people were starting to sell the K10Ds to get K20D. The market price at that time was just around 500 dollars for a K10D in perfect shape. 3 months later it is more like 325. I personally thought most of the deprecation had occurred at 500 dollars, and thus I wasn't likely to loose a ton of money on the body if I needed to resell it. I did and I lost 40% of my money. That is HUGE. Very burned I feel. Does Pentax just not have enough used demand to sustain the prices or what? Why so low for a 10 MP camera that is essentially the same as the K20D other than the sensor.
I'm confused: does your camera not work properly, or were you buying it as an investment? DSLRs are not comodities, they are tools to make photographs.
12-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

hee hee ... kind like petrol at the moment ... The price of petrol as dropped so much recently ... but i don't hear many people complain about that though

12-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #5

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
The value of a DSLR can't be expected to stay high forever, espeacially on used models.
With the amount of new cameras flooding the market it doesn't take to long before that
brand new DSLR is left behind in the features race. With alot of people (even if they won't-
admit it) they like to buy items that have all the latest features, even if they
don't really need them.
12-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shhh, don't jinx it.
12-11-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frankly speaking, I think you should buy gold in stead if investments are your priority.

12-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

"Weary" = tired, exhausted
"Wary" = cautious

The K20D is not essentially the same camera as the K10D. If it were, I would not have purchased one. I heard enough carping about the K10D on this forum that I decided I didn't want one.
12-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
RaduA

If I was you I would of stayed in Canonland were all is warm and fuzzy. Oh, no, wait isn't it Canon the company that kept 40D on the market exactly one year before replacing it with the 50D? I know you'll tell me that the 40D is still in production, bla-bla-bla but rest assure if you'd bought a sh 40D in the summer its value would of dropped a lot more than the 500/350 ratio of the K10. Why is that? Maybe because the price of a new 40D is like 800 bucks and the new 50D is 1100 after just couple of months on the market? Likewise D80 that has almost half the value of last year. And now with the 40D new at 830 what do you think a last year model will fetch and how much will be the difference to buy a new 50D? A lot more than the 375 USD more that will buy you a NEW K20D with kit lens for sure. And since we're at how the K20 is just a K10 with another sensor I may say that 50D is about the same as 40D except for the new "no details allowed in the picture" sensor, higer res LCD and lens correction we have in the K20 for 8 months now.

So, my advice to you is accept that "HUGE" loss of 175 USD and be happy with your plastic toys which will only increase in value, of course . And btw 325/500 = 0.65 so your math is (what a "surprise" a bit off from the 40% you quoted).

Farewell to Canonland and I hope this will be your last trolling on this forum!

Radu
12-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really don't think they deserved that tone.

Sometimes people just mistake things and get angry over it because they think that they were cheated. This person thinks that they were cheated due to the market value going down for the camera. It happens with every brand, I bought a Canon 20D for $325 two months ago and now it's only worth about $250 if I'm lucky. All you have to do is either take the brunt of buying something new, or just buy cameras that are slightly outdated (look at the *ist series, they're still perfectly capable but they're only about $200 even when barely used. I hope you are happy with your Pentax camera.
12-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I really don't think they deserved that tone.

Sometimes people just mistake things and get angry over it because they think that they were cheated. This person thinks that they were cheated due to the market value going down for the camera. It happens with every brand, I bought a Canon 20D for $325 two months ago and now it's only worth about $250 if I'm lucky. All you have to do is either take the brunt of buying something new, or just buy cameras that are slightly outdated (look at the *ist series, they're still perfectly capable but they're only about $200 even when barely used. I hope you are happy with your Pentax camera.
Sflights,

It has nothing to do with either selling Pentax gear or changing systems all together. We have here a lot of VERY respected members with more than Pentax gear and I am the first to admit that Pentax can't satisfy every possible photo need or purpose. But look at this guy's previous posts and you'll understand my tone even more than that look at the thread where he wants to sell the K10D, he starts with ... well, this system is not for me ... then he continues saying that he did 100 (one hundred) photos with the camera with one borrowed lens (and that was enough to made up his mind) and latter on he says that if he would of started over with no legacy gear he would of chose Pentax. I say this is too much bs for one person and to make a special thread to whine about your tremendous loss of 175USD (real or imagined) is an insult to this forum IMHO ...

Regards,
Radu
12-11-2008, 04:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, if you think that then you probably should just not respond instead of stooping down to their level. Either way, we should come back to the subject now.

Depreciation of products is just something that happens. That's why I never buy new.
12-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

That's life with modern electronic devices. None of the camera manufacturers bodies hold their value after a new model comes out.
When I bought my *istD, I spent somewhat over Can$3K for the camera, grip, kit lens and a couple of sets of rechargable batteries.
Now you can't give them away.
Thats the way it is. Get over it.

BTW, the k20 is a very different camera from the K10 once you get past the cosmetics.

One question I have for you is why is the residual value of the camera that important to you?
Isn't is about the pictures?

You will find that good lenses hold their value, and good Pentax lenses are just about the best you can get.
12-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you are wrongly hitting pentax here where all DLSRs have the same level of depreciation. If I was thinking about the resale value of my equipment as the only reason for buying it, I would still be shooting film ans would have never bought my forst DSLR.

I am an origonal *istD owner, who bought the camera when it was first released. I could have bought 2 K10Ds for the same price, or perhaps now 2 K20D's for that price, BUT if you consider I have used that body for 5 years, shot 11000 photos with it, and still use it because it does some things very well indeed, I still consider it value for the money.

The price is dropping because the price of new 10 and 14 MP pentax bodies is still dropping, just like my *istD is still dropping because the price for 6 newer versions of 6 MP bodies is still dropping.

Cameras ARE NOT investments, LENSES ARE because lenses will last you a lifetime
12-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
hee hee ... kind like petrol at the moment ... The price of petrol as dropped so much recently ... but i don't hear many people complain about that though
no, and I don't see people refusing to buy gas now at $1.50 per gallon, just because their last tank was $4.00