Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #61

Original Poster
I don't think I was cheated. Talk about over reaction. I just think Pentax equipment doesn't hold value as well as I thought it would. Jeez. I'm not even going to read anymore of this thread. I didn't come here to be yelled at. Just wanted to express the disapointment I had that the resale value for a K10D isn't significantly more than a 400D which is a worse camera all the way around really.

12-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Cameras ARE NOT investments, LENSES ARE because lenses will last you a lifetime

There is a difference between buying new and used. Just like cars. Lens of course hold value more but 40% drop in 2 months is still a very large drop. I have a 5 year old PS camera that only has lost 60% of it's new value. (which is what the K10D had to loose). 5 years vs 1.5 years... quite a steep deprecation curve. My only point was that I was surprised how sharp. It is quantitatively sharper than trends in other brands or even Pentax. I looked into just those kinds of numbers before I made the purchase. That is in fact why I was surprised. I estimated I would loose 100 dollars at worst, based on historical eBay prices (percentage) over equal or longer time period. Perhaps it is the economy... Who knows.
12-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
I don't think I was cheated. Talk about over reaction. I just think Pentax equipment doesn't hold value as well as I thought it would. Jeez. I'm not even going to read anymore of this thread. I didn't come here to be yelled at. Just wanted to express the disapointment I had that the resale value for a K10D isn't significantly more than a 400D which is a worse camera all the way around really.
You have to remember that it happens with every brand. Compare the K10D to the Canon 30D. When the 30D was introduced in 2006 (right with the 400D), it was 1299 with the kit lens. I recently bought mine used for $450. That's over half the price that was lost since it was new. Don't think that Pentax is the only brand that loses value in their cameras, it happens to all of them. The 5D is only worth $1500 now, when it was originally $3500, and that model was JUST replaced by Canon.
12-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PollitowuzHere Quote
I feel burnt too because the K20 is at $500 and I bought my K10 at the beggining of the year for $600!
?
Where is the K20D selling for $500??
Less than a year ago, people bought the K20D for $1300 MSRP when it was first released. They got a lot of good pictures out of it. It's not like you buy a camera and put it on the shelf for a year...

12-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a difference between buying new and used. Just like cars. Lens of course hold value more but 40% drop in 2 months is still a very large drop. I have a 5 year old PS camera that only has lost 60% of it's new value. (which is what the K10D had to loose). 5 years vs 1.5 years... quite a steep deprecation curve. My only point was that I was surprised how sharp. It is quantitatively sharper than trends in other brands or even Pentax. I looked into just those kinds of numbers before I made the purchase. That is in fact why I was surprised. I estimated I would loose 100 dollars at worst, based on historical eBay prices (percentage) over equal or longer time period. Perhaps it is the economy... Who knows.
I think that to simply find a single point like this is a bit in appropriate. Over the long run, the camera depreciation is no worse than other makes, it is all a question of timing, price reductions of new modles, new model release etc. If you bought at just the wrong time, of course you can see a big drop in a short period, but over the long run, the drop in the K10D for example is much less than that of the *istD for example.

This also does not consider that you had the use of the camera and how much it was used, or perhaps there are more people percentage wise willing to purchase a pentax new not used.
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #66
Inactive Account

I find this whole topic insane and will be even more insane in a few years. We all will look at DSLRs and P & S cameras with 10MP in the same way we look at 2MP camera now, out of date and not worth owning. These older cameras with low MPs are always labeled "great starter camera" or "perfect for kids" on Ebay. It's hard to think of that label being attached to a K10, were spoiled by this crazy MP war. Perhaps someone will come out with a 50MP camera good enough to get a super sharp cropped pic of a car's license place from over 100 yards away fleeing the scene of a bank robbery. That also could spell the end of the zoom or telephoto lens as we know it, just crop your long range shot of someone you know at a ballgame across the stadium from you...who needs the extra lens and it's heavy. Ahhhhh. the future.

Barry
12-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #67
RaduA

This troll really starts to p**$ me off. First he starts a totally nonsense thread and after some 60 replies that thoroughly debunked his bs with various tones and arguments he comes back to say we're all some stupid second class citizen unlike his mighty Canon fellows. Now for the last time, from this hypothetical 325 USD you say it's the value of both 400D and 10D how much money you need to put towards buying the top current camera in the mid class for both systems (50D and 20D)?. And further more what better camera your 325 USD will buy between 400D and 10D? Now it was your choice to make 100 pics and decide to sell the Pentax.
And please note, he won't allow us to YELL AT HIM !

Get lost and stop whining (I would be satisfy with the first in fact you can whine at will but on a Canon forum)!

Radu

12-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's life with modern electronic devices. None of the camera manufacturers bodies hold their value after a new model comes out.
When I bought my *istD, I spent somewhat over Can$3K for the camera, grip, kit lens and a couple of sets of rechargable batteries.
Now you can't give them away.
Thats the way it is. Get over it.

BTW, the k20 is a very different camera from the K10 once you get past the cosmetics.

One question I have for you is why is the residual value of the camera that important to you?
Isn't is about the pictures?

You will find that good lenses hold their value, and good Pentax lenses are just about the best you can get.
If you want to give away your *istD and grip, I'll take it off your hands for you.
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #69

I have two K10D bodies and all three pancake lenses. The resale value of any of this stuff is irrelevant to me because I never sell or trade in my cameras (cars are another matter). As a consequence I have a nice collection of cameras going back many years, both film and digital. Everything still works but I'm not a serious collector. I just don't want to be bothered with selling anything but my images. But I'm sure I'm in a minority about this.

Richard
12-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Sold K20D today...I am also tired of wasting money, this is not my culture. I bought a Leica M4P 5 years ago and sold it for the same price last year.
All I need is a camera I can use for a while without being constantly after new features: a reliable, trustworthy, camera that I enjoy shooting with. And my K10D does the job, so rather than giving it away for 280 euros, I sold the K20D which was still to be sold for a decent price: next on my list is to get lenses, lenses, and lenses!
I wouldn't have used the K20 for a while since I got surgery and won't take much pics...
Wait for pentax to release a new body in 2009 and get it late 2009, give the K10d as a present to a relative.

But Pentax has nothing to do with price drop...comparatively you loose less if you buy a cheaper camera, do the maths!

Last edited by Substitute; 12-13-2008 at 07:16 AM.
12-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I don't think I was cheated. Talk about over reaction. I just think Pentax equipment doesn't hold value as well as I thought it would. Jeez

Maybe your next thread header will read.

I Will Be Very Wary About Complaining Against Pentax In The Future
12-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #72

Very burned I feel.
Wow! I had no idea that Yoda joined our forum!

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

So don't fear the drop in prices! Look around you, everything is DEFLATING around the world: Stocks, Bonds, Oil, Commodities, Retail goods, and yes, even Pentax cameras. It's surely a nice camera but immune to the price deflation worldwide? Uh... no.
12-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #73
Inactive Account

LOL, this thread is so laughable I can remember my brother (who always had to buy something new) bought (in 1972) a pocket calculator that only added,subtracted,multiplied and divided (not even a square root function) and paid over $299.00 for it. Now, I think you can get one free in a box of Froot Loops and it has more features. Look at MP3 players,DVD players and even iphones, Cameras are not the only things immune to prices falling fast and furious.

Don't worry, be happy
Barry.
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And here I thought the idea was to complain about higher prices and inflation...

All I do is remember when (meaning about a year ago) a dozen eggs cost $1.50, a half gallon of milk cost less than $2.00 produce that has nearly doubled what it was a year ago, meat that keeps going up, and on and on.

I'd much rather see inflation in the electronics industry and deflation in the food industry (consider how much we all have to buy in foods every week of every year), but I'm not going to complain about electronics losing price either.

If anything falling prices provide me with spending control. Knowing that it will be a little cheaper next week keeps me from buying much of anything, afterall once next week comes I tell myself the same thing... Remember, tomorrow never comes... It's always today

12-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So maybe I was just dumb, but I wanted to try Pentax, so I purchased a used K10D after the K20D and hit the market when lots of people were starting to sell the K10Ds to get K20D. The market price at that time was just around 500 dollars for a K10D in perfect shape. 3 months later it is more like 325. I personally thought most of the deprecation had occurred at 500 dollars, and thus I wasn't likely to loose a ton of money on the body if I needed to resell it. I did and I lost 40% of my money. That is HUGE. Very burned I feel. Does Pentax just not have enough used demand to sustain the prices or what? Why so low for a 10 MP camera that is essentially the same as the K20D other than the sensor.

PS Edit: as a larger people got this completely wrong. The K10D wasn't an investment, it was a trial to see if I should switch to pentax. I choose not to for a few reasons. I purchased a K10D to lessen the blow if I had to resell assuming it would deprecate less than a K20D, however, it dropped in value dramatically even months after is was replaced by the K20D. That was my point.
...and you feel burnt? Please.

April 2006 new Nissan Murano: $49,900
Nov 08 (same car + 33,000km): sold for $27,500.

Its called the real world, things depreciate at an alarming rate, the general rule is the more you pay the more you lose.