Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #76

Okay I felt I had to get on this one too. Wouldn't it be great in life if everything was the exact way we wanted it. I bought my K100D super a year ago and after a few months it was already dropping. So..I had more months to play with it than had I waited.

BTW, I just bought the K20 at $699 and was going back and forth between that and the Canon 40D since I shoot a lot of sports. The 40D has been dropping in price consistently as well and so has the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D (at least when I check Amazon).

Not to sure why you would be so upset at Pentax due to the price drop when the competitors are dropping as well. Maybe you should only shop at places that give a 30 day price guarantee.

Hey, anybody notice that sometimes your favorite wine is cheaper than other times...not gonna stop me from enjoying!

Pleasant thoughts to all for our holiday season and beyond.

12-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
I don't think I was cheated. Talk about over reaction. I just think Pentax equipment doesn't hold value as well as I thought it would. Jeez. I'm not even going to read anymore of this thread. I didn't come here to be yelled at. Just wanted to express the disapointment I had that the resale value for a K10D isn't significantly more than a 400D which is a worse camera all the way around really.
Here's a tip: choose your post titles more carefully. Yours here is pure flamebait, and that's your problem with this thread. 'Disappointing Resale Value' might have gotten you less, um, 'yelled' at.
12-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about the loss of value - it all depends on what the buyer is prepared to pay. I managed to pick up a VG k10D via this forum, then decided to sell my old faithful k100d with the kit Sigma lens - in the end I was out of pocket $9 plus Ebay fees. Guess who is very happy with this - me!.

Depends on who buys & who sells.
12-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
That is not limited to only the K10D. My K100D and K20D list to the right a few degrees. I think the K20D is worse.

Crikey!
I sooooooooooooo wish I had sent mine back to get fixed. With the "sniper scope" LI-60 focusing screen, I have to line it up straight, then tilt the right up.

There's like 2 weeks left on my warranty but I never sent the warranty card in (if there even was one?). Bah...now that's going to suck for resale value

12-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #80
Inactive Account

Oh what the hell, I might as well chime in.

Depreciation happens, on almost anything one can buy.

I have a Subaru Liberty I paid $35k for 2.5 years ago. I'd be flat out getting $20k now. Does that worry me? Nope. The car still runs like new and I have no plans to sell it.

I remember buying a Canon A20 P&S - 2MP - a few years ago. By the time I added a case, a 32 Mb card (yep, you read that right) and some rechargeable batteries/charger I got next to no change out of $1k. I couldn't give it away nowadays.

In the first place, anybody in his or her right mind buying DSLRs is buying lenses first and foremost and they don't depreciate anything like as much. In the second place, if electronic goods didn't depreciate than they would not be progressing. The idea of being "disappointed" that a camera body is not "worth" what you paid for it new (or used for that matter) is ludicrous. What a waste of bandwidth.
12-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
So maybe I was just dumb, but I wanted to try Pentax, so I purchased a used K10D after the K20D and hit the market when lots of people were starting to sell the K10Ds to get K20D. The market price at that time was just around 500 dollars for a K10D in perfect shape. 3 months later it is more like 325. I personally thought most of the deprecation had occurred at 500 dollars, and thus I wasn't likely to loose a ton of money on the body if I needed to resell it. I did and I lost 40% of my money. That is HUGE. Very burned I feel. Does Pentax just not have enough used demand to sustain the prices or what? Why so low for a 10 MP camera that is essentially the same as the K20D other than the sensor.

PS Edit: as a larger people got this completely wrong. The K10D wasn't an investment, it was a trial to see if I should switch to pentax. I choose not to for a few reasons. I purchased a K10D to lessen the blow if I had to resell assuming it would deprecate less than a K20D, however, it dropped in value dramatically even months after is was replaced by the K20D. That was my point.

I think the flaming you have recieved is far less that what you deserve. Generally i try to respect other people's opinions, but this is just nuts. So you could have saved 175 bucks if you had waited 3 months. Thats 60 bucks a month. Allot of things have dropped in value these last months.

If you can afford it, buy Can*n L glass. High demand, never drops in price. But if a 60 dollar a month hit causes you this much pain, I doubt that level of gear is in you snack bracket. Have a look at the Argus C3. You should be able to get one for 10-15 bucks. Even if the lucrative "Argus" market takes a huge hit, and drops 40%, you only lose about 6 bucks. Asume the drop is over 3 months...thats only 2 bucks a month. Now THAT is value. You won't need to give up your double mochachino, half cream half milk, iced lattes, with a lime twist. Hell, maybe you could even take a photo of the beverage.

You brought the wine...There are flames....All we need are some steaks, and tunes, and we have a party!

Oh, did you even try the camera during the three months of downward slide?
12-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Complaining about the resale price of a used camera is downright dumb. Just about anything electronic you buy drops in price after they are released, even new cameras. Used electronics are nearly worthless, especially computers. That mid level laptop that was1500$ a year ago is now on sale for 499$ and used is worth half that. I think camera bodies hold their price fairly well, but I have never bought a camera thinking I might sell it and recoup my price if I didn't like it. The only camera I ever really hated was a Nikon Pronea 6i and while I could have sold it to some sucker it was far more satisfying to smash it with a bell pein hammer.

12-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #83
Veteran Member

If I do the maths
$3 a film
333 films a year
10 000 pictures
$ 1000 in film

Then an average of $12 to process and scan each film....$12 000
12-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I sooooooooooooo wish I had sent mine back to get fixed. With the "sniper scope" LI-60 focusing screen, I have to line it up straight, then tilt the right up.

There's like 2 weeks left on my warranty but I never sent the warranty card in (if there even was one?). Bah...now that's going to suck for resale value
So, if the camera is defective, why haven't you had it repaired? All you need is the sales receipt.

Steve
12-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I’m a bit late to this thread but better late than never. Looks like lots of tales of woe above. In my case I bought a K10 new for $1,100 about two years ago. Toss in the battery grip, 2 batteries, a DA 70, KatzEye focusing screen, flash and we are over $2,000. I shudder to think of its resale value today. Had I purchased a Nikon or Canon my loss would be even greater as I could not have used all my old Pentax lenses. A guy could get really depressed if he spent a lot of time thinking about this sort of stuff.

On the bright side I have been having a lot of fun with this camera. It is my first digital and has put the fun back into image making for me. As others have noted this is the key point. I am making more images and having more fun than I ever did when shooting film. I used to be reluctant to trip the shutter in the film era as I wasn’t sure what I might get and I didn't want to waste the money as I threw away most of pictures anyway. I have a great old SMC K 300mm lens I never used for this reason. With digital I just don't care. I get instant feedback and I can fix things on the fly. The result is more keepers and more fun. The K 300mm is now one of my most used lenses. Yeah, I've lost a bundle if I try to resell the K10 but the pictures I've made and fun I've had more than compensate for any financial loss. Actually the K10 is looking more and more like a real bargain. It really looks like a bargain compared to some of the stocks I bought last year.

Cheers

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 12-13-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
12-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #86
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hey drwho9437, don't buy a car then, they depreciate like a pallet load of bricks, dropped from a great height.
12-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So, if the camera is defective, why haven't you had it repaired? All you need is the sales receipt.

Steve
It was just "something to deal with" and "I'll get around to it" For a while I thought it was me not holding it straight.

Tomorrow I'm going to dig out the receipt and contact Pentax after Christmas. Hopefully I'm not without it for more than a couple weeks...
12-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It was just "something to deal with" and "I'll get around to it" For a while I thought it was me not holding it straight.

Tomorrow I'm going to dig out the receipt and contact Pentax after Christmas. Hopefully I'm not without it for more than a couple weeks...
I hope you are able to get it resolved. Proper sensor/viewfinder alignment and registration is pretty fundamental. With any luck they will offer to replace with a new K20D!

Steve
12-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #89
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
your digital camera is engineered to fail catastrophically
Maybe I'm a sadist, but I want to watch that happen. I keep trying to picture in my head what that could mean. I'm on a subway. Maybe the lens falls off, landing on a woman's foot who is wearing open toed sandals. She shrieks in pain, causing a man to spill his scalding hot coffee on a baby. The mother of the baby yells at the man, and the father of the baby punches the man in the face. A wild melee ensues, and this car happens to be the one Robert DeNiro was riding on. Well, he's dead now. When it's discovered it was my Tamron 90mm that came loose from a faulty mounting on my K20D, the Japanese are blamed, and we're now about five years into World War III. That, my friends, is how a digital camera fails catastrophically.
12-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brucestrange Quote
Maybe I'm a sadist, but I want to watch that happen. I keep trying to picture in my head what that could mean. I'm on a subway. Maybe the lens falls off, landing on a woman's foot who is wearing open toed sandals. She shrieks in pain, causing a man to spill his scalding hot coffee on a baby. The mother of the baby yells at the man, and the father of the baby punches the man in the face. A wild melee ensues, and this car happens to be the one Robert DeNiro was riding on. Well, he's dead now. When it's discovered it was my Tamron 90mm that came loose from a faulty mounting on my K20D, the Japanese are blamed, and we're now about five years into World War III. That, my friends, is how a digital camera fails catastrophically.
Are you familiar with the War of Jenkins' Ear?