Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2022, 07:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
Early Pentax DSLR's offer crazy, crazy value.

Wait... Current, new Pentax DSLR's offer crazy, crazy value....

02-11-2022, 08:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We still like our K-x, but we rarely use it, and then just for fun. But, my K100D, K20D, K-01 are all gone. We can't bring ourselves;lves to actually part with the K-x, especially not for $100.
02-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We still like our K-x, but we rarely use it, and then just for fun. But, my K100D, K20D, K-01 are all gone. We can't bring ourselves;lves to actually part with the K-x, especially not for $100.
I try to rotate during the week, sigma 2.8 zoom on the k-x, beautiful
02-12-2022, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
More legacy lenses

Today I dug out a Ricoh pin equipped Tamron 28-210 PK/AR Auto lens (not autofocus) and in five minutes time (thanks to help from a forum member) removed the evil Ricoh pin. It was easy. I took out four little cross point screws from the back ring , bent up a plate, removed the Ricoh pin, saved it for whatever reason) and reattached the back ring exactly as it was, and done.

Now, for only $25, I have a lens I must autofocus, but this lens communicates with my K-x and I can shoot Manual, and Aperture priority and Speed Priority and even Program if I set the lens to A.

I’ll need to clean this lens on the inside when I get a kit to work on lenses, but it’s not too shabby as found.

I found I need to add about .7 EV to get exposure right. No need to green button meter. Point, focus, and shoot.

Last edited by MESuperian; 02-12-2022 at 02:48 PM.
04-10-2022, 06:45 PM   #20

I bought my k-x in 2009, it was my first DSLR and what got me back into photography since shooting with film in photography club during the 80s using my dad’s old Contax.

Shooting without needing to wait for the film to develop, getting instant feedback was a great asset in helping me grow as a photographer. The k-x compared to other brands such as Nikon and Canon, gives much richer colour, excellent white balance, but has a tendency of color bleed-overs when shooting neon signs, possibly attributed to its signal processor. It uses a Sony sensor the same one found on the Nikon D90, has excellent low light performance for the time, but autofocus that is a generation or two behind its competitors.

As mentioned by others, it runs on 4 AA batteries and is light, compact, well built, with good ergonomics. Overall a rugged travel camera.

I had my k-x refitted with a split image focusing prism and shoot mostly using manual focus lenses. Although I started out shooting with third party lenses, I have found myself going back to native Pentax glass for superior contrast and colour rendition.

Though I have used many different camera bodies since the k-x for more modern conveniences, I would take out the k-x from time to time just to see if I can do something different now compared to then.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.
04-10-2022, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first DSLR as well. Still have a soft spot in my heart for it. Recently bought a White Stormtrooper model but it didn't work. Autofocus didn't work, flash didn't pop up and it consistantly under exposed. had to return it :-(

Last edited by jimmm18; 04-11-2022 at 08:27 AM.
04-10-2022, 10:19 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
Early Pentax DSLR's offer crazy, crazy value.

Wait... Current, new Pentax DSLR's offer crazy, crazy value....
An excellent company brought to ruins by myriads of bad marketing decisions over the last decade.

The new Pentax lenses are just Tamron OEMs, not saying that Tamron optics are bad, but when given the option for the same optics, why choose an underperforming platform ? Pentax should play its strength in optics and gone the route of Sigma making lenses for other mounts.

04-11-2022, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Initial_DT Quote

The new Pentax lenses are just Tamron OEMs, not saying that Tamron optics are bad, but when given the option for the same optics, why choose an underperforming platform ?
They're not just Tamron OEMs... They're Tamron OEMs for 2x the price of the actual Tamron

Another aspect to this: The market for DSLR lenses is shrinking, probably won't take too long for Tamron to not be interested in it anymore either.
04-11-2022, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, the market for DSLR lenses is shrinking- with a corresponding increase in lenses for mirrorless cameras. These can be smaller and lighter than a DSLR, primarily because of the absence of the DSLR prism VF. But this does not always result in a smaller camera- the Kx is comparable to mirrorless APS-C designs. Then it boils down to taking pictures by always using an electronic representation, or looking through the lens- to view reality. Don't get me wrong- a top-quality EVF has its own advantages. But as a more accurate predictor of what your outcome is likely to be, I prefer a top-quality OVF. The Pentax KP was designed as a DSLR answer to high-end APS-C mirrorless offerings, and I think it succeeded. And, if wanting the electronic version, there's always the rear screen too.

As to Tamron rebadging, it is often done with some improvements, like superior coatings and "Quick-shift" MF touchup available. But not all new Pentax lenses are rebadged from other brands. The famous FA Limiteds have been re-issued with new superior coatings, and the latest to arrive are the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM and the DFA 21mm f/2.4 Limited, both of premium quality.
04-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #25

At some point Pentax could issue Canon EF, Nikon FX and Sony Alpha mounts of their lenses, for the niche used market, a bit like what IRIX does

I got intrigued by Canon's last few DSLRs that had good AF for both OVF and live view, as a "best of both worlds". If only Pentax could get beyond the inherently limited contrast detect in live view, license some phase detect or maybe even a more advanced contrast detect like used in Olympus E10 IV or (of course) the Panasonics. It doesn't have to be cutting edge, just good enough that live view works as good as a decent entry level mirrorless, would be a unique selling point having two kinds of cameras in one body.
04-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
It doesn't have to be cutting edge, just good enough that live view works as good as a decent entry level mirrorless, would be a unique selling point having two kinds of cameras in one body.
Good point. I don't use LV enough to know the difference, but a real improvement here in say an upgraded KP II would really give the high-end APS-C mirrorless crowd some competition.
04-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #27

Congrats.

Had one since 2009, still love it. The shutter button has been giving me trouble and the battery drain is is pretty significant compared to when it was new.

Does anyone have a SERVICE MANUAL they are willing to share?