Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How Good is the K20D?

How good is the Pentax K20D? Well, I was just asked again to participate in the next Cannes International Festival of Fashion Photography for 2009. The images used will be blown up to between 2x3 meters to 3.5x5 meters and were shot with the K20D. Now if that does not work for those concerned about the output of this tool...I guess i'll have to change professions.

Ben

12-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think anyone has questioned the output of the camera so much as some of the limitations of the operating envelope.
Congratulations, BTW.
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

What I'm curious about (and maybe this has been discussed in other threads) is whether the new Samsung CMOS sensor in the 20D is better than the Sony-built CCD sensor in the 10D. I currently have the K10D and was thinking of "upgrading" to the 20D, if only because I've heard that the sensor is supposedly better (I don’t really care about the slightly bigger screen and while having 4.6 additional MP is nice, I'm not sure that I really need it).

I stumbled on this website that does a comparison. Any additional thoughts?

CCD vs. CMOS
12-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cossack Quote
What I'm curious about (and maybe this has been discussed in other threads) is whether the new Samsung CMOS sensor in the 20D is better than the Sony-built CCD sensor in the 10D. I currently have the K10D and was thinking of "upgrading" to the 20D, if only because I've heard that the sensor is supposedly better (I don’t really care about the slightly bigger screen and while having 4.6 additional MP is nice, I'm not sure that I really need it).

CCD vs. CMOS
This is like comparing VHS to BETA. In many metaphorical ways, CCD is like BETA format in that it was one of the first successful digital imaging technologies, it is still recognized among professionals.... but like VHS, a lot of development money is being put into CMOS imaging technology in order to overcome its many limitations (mainly noise).

A true testament to the success of CMOS is the Canon digital cameras which all use CMOS technology and had amazing success! Canon virtually conquered the CMOS noise problem and now their EOS 20/30/40D series digital cameras are preferred by amateur astronomers for long exposure imaging.

I am not sure how good the Pentax K20D is compared to the Canon 40D.... hopefully, I will have time to test long exposures in the following weeks.

....while having 4.6 additional MP is nice, I'm not sure that I really need it).
Those extra pixels allow the Pentax K20D to have slightly better resolution than 35mm film. Yes, those extra pixels are very important and the primary reason I waited to purchase this particular model.

Doug

12-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

CCD vs. CMOS
The K20D sensor is, IMO, better than the Sony sensor in my K2000, which is the same sensor that's in the K10D. Better colors, better DR, better noise control. It's not super obvious, but having shot 1000's of times with my K20D and 100's of times with my K-m, I'm noticing a slight drop-off in color rendition.

But really, you can get brilliant stuff out of the K-M/K200D/K10D sensor too. Difference is slight.

12-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

I knew that Canon had a virtual monopoly on the CMOS technology. And I suppose that's why I was curious. Maybe Pentax wanted their 20D to be more "Canon-like", such as the EOS 40 or 50D.
12-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #7

Darnit, there ya go again makin me want a K20 instead of my old faithful K100D, and me with no money to spend and a thrifty Christmas ahead :P

12-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

a K20D is dirt cheap right now, esp for americans, you can get a K20D for cheaper than what it cost me to buy a K100D last september!
12-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

CCD vs. CMOS
I haven't looked at the supplied link.
I do know that the K20 is giving back better pictures than what the K10 gave me. I am seeing more fine tonality in skin tones, and somewhat better resolution.
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like k20d just too cheap at the moment.
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Man this is torture! I love my K10D but have been thinking of upgrading considering how cheap the K20D is right now. I have the money but my cheap side just doesn't want to part with it and my practical side keeps telling me, "what do you need it for? Your K10D is fulfilling your needs just fine."

I really would like the extra pixels and the better sensor as well as another camera body, but I just can't convince myself it's THAT much better to justify it.

...stupid practical side.
12-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's this <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------> good!
12-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
It's this <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------> good!
Curse you and your wicked temptation!
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I read the link comparing CMOS and CCD. Maybe CCD is better on a theoretical level, or maybe the author was just biased. All I know is, the K20D CMOS gives me deeper colours and 2/3 stop lower noise than my K100DS with CCD, which is amazing considering the difference in pixels. Also I don't get the red channel clipping with the K20.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-11-2008 at 07:00 PM.
12-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was just asked again to participate in the next Cannes International Festival of Fashion Photography for 2009.
Nice work Ben, congratulations! Will we be able to see your images?